Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 04:40 AM

64 posts, read 132,208 times

Advertisements

Kind of disappointed to see the actual numbers of crimes in Nampa. I am planning on moving to the Boise area next year and was considering Nampa. Could the crimes be mostly in one area and not spread through the whole city?

I have lived in Santa Ana, CA for 10 years and never had any problems and that was a high crime city. But most of the problems were just between gangs. Then again maybe I was just lucky......

Old 12-20-2010, 12:28 PM

73 posts, read 194,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Expat View Post
Kind of disappointed to see the actual numbers of crimes in Nampa. I am planning on moving to the Boise area next year and was considering Nampa. Could the crimes be mostly in one area and not spread through the whole city?

I have lived in Santa Ana, CA for 10 years and never had any problems and that was a high crime city. But most of the problems were just between gangs. Then again maybe I was just lucky......

I hold this information close to me. The crimes that usually happen are because they had it coming. With Homicide, usually if its gang related, then you know why. Could be a bad drug deal gone wrong. Assaults, same thing with drug deals or being drunk in a bar fight and mouthing off.

If you keep to yourself, you shouldn't have problems. If you don't keep your bags, music cd's and stuff in the car then you lessen the likely that your car will be broken into.

Sacramento i think this year up until November we have had 28 murders. Not counting 2 we just had last week.

Most of these are in area's of low poverty. Sacramento is a beautiful city, Has lots of nice areas. But as with every city they have the bad areas also.

The one thing that concerns me is that the population and size of Nampa/Caldwell with all the crime going on. That is what strikes me as bothersome.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:29 PM

73 posts, read 194,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclingfan View Post
I think you mean 1 in 206 people were victims.

yes, for every 206 people someone is a victim

Old 12-20-2010, 02:53 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,839,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Expat View Post

I'm pretty familiar with Santa Ana. You know how many of the worst problems were in specific areas of the city, but overall property crime was fairly high because it's such a "metro grid" city for people drive around/through.

I haven't been around Nampa much, but spend time in Caldwell at Brothers Park down by the YMCA (which is gorgeous, btw). As a retired cop I'm always armed, but in probably 15 trips there over the past 2.5 years I have NEVER had my "cop instincts" alert to trouble when in Caldwell. Granted I'm primarily either down by that park or taking lunch breaks on weekend days around Taco Bell, Subway, DQ, etc. But while there are a LOT of immigrant families around there, it's more like in Santa Ana. Most of what I see in the daytime isn't bangers...it's just folks. And trust me...as a former LA gang cop, I'm about as paranoid as they come...

Certainly my anecdotal experience is just one person's weekend/daytime observation, and in one specific area of town. But if you pull together enough people's personal experiences it should paint a broader general picture of these areas...and I encourage you to get plenty of feedback before making your decision.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:35 PM

64 posts, read 132,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
I'm pretty familiar with Santa Ana. You know how many of the worst problems were in specific areas of the city, but overall property crime was fairly high because it's such a "metro grid" city for people drive around/through.

I haven't been around Nampa much, but spend time in Caldwell at Brothers Park down by the YMCA (which is gorgeous, btw). As a retired cop I'm always armed, but in probably 15 trips there over the past 2.5 years I have NEVER had my "cop instincts" alert to trouble when in Caldwell. Granted I'm primarily either down by that park or taking lunch breaks on weekend days around Taco Bell, Subway, DQ, etc. But while there are a LOT of immigrant families around there, it's more like in Santa Ana. Most of what I see in the daytime isn't bangers...it's just folks. And trust me...as a former LA gang cop, I'm about as paranoid as they come...

Certainly my anecdotal experience is just one person's weekend/daytime observation, and in one specific area of town. But if you pull together enough people's personal experiences it should paint a broader general picture of these areas...and I encourage you to get plenty of feedback before making your decision.

This is very good to hear and more in line with what I had expected with what I have read on this site....except for a couple of posters who may have higher expectations... I understand that not every square foot can be pristine. My wife has found some very nice homes for great prices in Nampa and I do not want to exclude it based on one bad area. The big picture is still good.

We do plan on renting in Boise for a year or so before buying someplace. I want to live in the sticks and my wife wants to live near a mall so we need to find some kind of comprise. So far Boise seems the best.

Thanks for the info.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:48 PM

8 posts, read 18,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielito View Post
Hope this message reaches U in good health, I just wanted to say my piece for my people here in the 208, the BARRIO that is. where I was born and raised.

NO not all the gangs here are CALIFORNIANS
NO it is NOT FLOODED with illegals
NO not every one is as ignorant as some of these threads Ive been reading

MOST of you sound like your on the OUTSIDE looking in. so you cant speak on something you have NO IDEA about, you'll never know what its like to live in this racisist society, that oppresses us as a people in more ways than U can imagine especially in IDAHO it takes the crown for that, but its my home state and Im proud anyway that just makes US stronger so keep HATING

I probably shouldnt even be sharing this cause the game is to be sold, not told but f it
Northside of Nampa, yes the Oldest part of town you can see the housing projects on 4th street, some old abondons houses, basketball courts where nieborhood kids play, Nice homes that are well taken care of Mostly LATIN part of town, familys that want a better life just LIKE YOU that are reading this in your peacefull subdivision.

this is where the Northside XIV gang started 20+ years ago BY LOCALS
I have homeboys that have been shot in drive-bys, my homeboy lost his brother in one, my cousin was also shot but lived. its a vicious cycle that most probably cant comprehend unless you LIVED in that enviroment
show close your mouth.
1 example
Broken homes, that leave kids with no love surrounded by poverty, drugs, gangs dont leave them many choices but to do the same with no positive roll models. I WAS LUCKY I have a great father that was always on my case to keep me out of trouble, alot of these kids dont.
its been going on in City's like L.A. for DECADES YOU THINK its going 2 stop!
THINK AGAIN

as long as theres poverty=crime=organized crime
gangs will never die until that changes, which I dont think it will.
you can only make your own choices of who you choose to surround yourself with

You only help the PROBLEM GROW by forcing sterotypes on us, making spectacles of US by saying things like DONT go there its a bad place to live! YOU THINK WE enjoy this! if we could afford the 200,000 dollar home You live in WE'd BE OUT OF HERE ASAP!

SO DONT LET THESE IGNORANT people sway your OPINONS
BE YOUR OWN JUDGE

CHECK IT OUT YOURSELF
there is alot of NEW development happening, new subdivisions going up ect.

NAMPA has a POPULATION OF 80,000 about 20% Latino its a nice little city
OFFENSIVE MATTER DELETED BY MODERATOR....READ THE TERMS OF SERVICE

besides that
God Bless

Danielito from NORTH NAMPA ...
So r yu trying to tell me yur a nortena?? Im a Surena in caldwell and i agree with some of wat yu say but most of it aint true get yur mouth straigh hunny

Old 11-07-2011, 02:15 PM

405 posts, read 1,280,905 times
Why not reallocate some of the excess good ol boy cops in Boise and send them to Caldwell. I never have seen so many cops as I have seen in the Boise/Meridian/Eagle area. I mean I see like 3 cops cars to one drunk driver. In the three weeks I have been in Boise, I have seen more car searches, DUI interrogations and just people getting tickets for any reason, than I have seen in Portland in the last few years. Seriously! It's kind of silly. Although, I do like how low the crime is here probably as a result of the gung-ho police force. However, I think considering how much of a police state, the Boise area is, we could send some of those resources to Caldwell and clean up the mess. The Mexican gangs here only have as much power as we let them have. A bunch of well-armed, vigilant and pro-active law-abiding citizens working together coupled with a hard-core, good ol boy police force will send the gangs running to other places. IMO, gangs proliferate where there is neglect by both the residents of the area and their lack of organization, funding and mindset of the police force.

I have witnessed many slums in Portland become neighborhoods full of millionaires because the people who moved in and the heavy presence of police who don't mess around. However, I have witnessed other areas in Portland go down the tubes because all the more respectful people either left or the areas became occupied with people who are not active in fighting crime or stand up for their community. As well, the underfunded police forces in these areas are not effective. An example of this could be the city of Gresham, which was very nice for a while, but now is slowly becoming a gang-infested slum along with Outer East Portland/Rockwood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielito
if we could afford the 200,000 dollar home You live in WE'd BE OUT OF HERE ASAP!
Umm.. You really can get a really decent home in Boise, or even Nampa or Caldwell for like $100,000 I have seen. Heck, I just visited a guy who was living in a gang-free 2 bed apartment in Meridian, that was going for like $550/mo. Seriously, a husband/wife or two roommates working at Burger King could afford to live there. Really, I think a lot of people who live in the gang-infested environment do so because that is where they grew up, where their friends and family are or they just enjoy the ghetto/gang environment. Seriously, you don't need to live in a $200,000 home to be free of gangs. BTW, I was in a town called Albion, Washington outside of PUllman, WA. It was a poor, trailer town where the average home probably cost about $30,000, not $200,000. The town had almost no crime to speak of, despite the poverty of the residents. Of course, it was a blue-collar, caucasian neighborhood and the gang mentality wasn't so prevalent, besides a few punky kids, who were wannabes. Anyway, low-income and poverty doesn't always equate to gang-violence. A lot of it has to do with the attitude of the people and what is acceptable in the culture. THat is my observation, anyhow.

Well, I have been to Africa.. Speaking of poverty.. I was a guy who was gazillion times richer than anyone else and I dropped my wallet on the street. Some girl came running out yelling at me, saying I dropped it and handed it to me. This girl lived in a mudhut. I felt safer walking around Africa, with all the poverty and suffering, then I do in most poor neighborhoods in USA. Once again, IMO, it's the attitude of the people and the culture.

Last edited by MysticalDream; 11-07-2011 at 02:27 PM..

Old 11-11-2011, 04:20 PM

424 posts, read 1,379,405 times
In a nutshell:

The Nampa/Caldwell area is a much safer and wiser place to raise your kids than the vast majority of mid/large sized cities. That being said Ada County is still overall the best place in the treasure valley to raise a family (schools, crime rate, etc.).

As for gangs and poverty it works both ways. True those who are of a different race will probably have a few more hurdles to overcome, but as mentioned it's not like people are all stuck in a given life/lifestyle with no hope of ever getting out of it. Those who work hard and are willing to be determined (regardless of race or social status) usually will find a way to come out on top in some way shape or form. It will not be easy but it is possible.

Unfortunately the thing that leads to perceived racism isn't necessarily the color of a person's skin, it is the attitude that they carry with them. I don't care if you are black, white, brown, etc. the bottom line is that if you are a polite and respectful person you are going to find it much easier to find open doors for you, than if you come across as a person who has a chip on their shoulder about their race/cultural background. I find myself doing the same thing. The bottom line is that nobody likes a jerk, so be conscious of the way you interact with others and don't convey that kind of image/attitude.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:43 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,023 times
people exaggerate the gangs in nampa/caldwell... has it gotten worse? sure.. but the population has almost tripled in the past 20 years..
there is no place in nampa or caldwell that i would feel unsafe walking down the street. there's NO place in idaho that is like that.
So when you people born and raised in idaho start telling people in california that it's soooo terrible, they're equating it to what they deal with and it just isn't even comparable... not even close

Old 11-14-2011, 06:28 AM

84 posts, read 266,078 times
I emailed the Nampa Police and asked about the gang activity and this is what they said to me:

Most of the gang activity in Nampa is centralized around the older
numbered streets in town between 11th Ave N, east to Victory, between
7th St N & 1st St N. Then between 16th Ave S, east to 24th Ave S,
between 1st St S and 7th St S. There are small pockets elsewhere in town
as well, usually based around a single gang member's home, but those are
the areas we see the most gang activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area