Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 09:31 PM

14 posts, read 37,184 times

Advertisements

My husband is being transferred to Boise and we're really excited about the move. We're both from the Syracuse, NY, area orginally and while Orange County is nice, it's just way too crowded/expensive for us. So we're really looking forward to the move in 26 days! The only snag we're running into is our lack of knowledge of the area.

I've heard from many people how beautiful and wonderful ID is. My husband spent a week in Boise shadowing the person he's replacing (that person quit) and he absolutely fell in love with it. Our plan for now is to rent for a year so we can get a feel for the area and then we'd like to buy a home.

We have three children, a large dog and a cat. I have no idea where I should be looking for a house. We'd like a four bedroom though a large three bedroom would work too. Our budget is up to $1500/mo. I've seen it mentioned on here that most rental homes aren't advertised, you just have to drive around the neighborhoods? Do the signs have how many bedrooms the homes are? I'd hate to waste time calling about places that are too small for us. Does anyone know how fast one can move in after finding a house that way? Or how fast rentals go in general? The movers are picking our stuff up here on the 11th and I'd really like to find a place and be unloading the truck by the 20th. I've tried finding places online but it seems like the few four bedrooms I've seen were rented pretty quickly and it's hard to handle the application process from 830 miles away. I'm starting to think we're just going to have to wait on finding a place until we get there and that makes me a little nervous. I'm a planner, and not having a house lined up to move into right away seems crazy.

Also, on average, how much would you say your heating bill runs you? I haven't had to use a heater in over five years now but I'd like to get a rough idea of what to budget for that.

Who are the cable providers in the area?

Thank you!

Last edited by heavynleigh; 02-12-2010 at 10:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 12:07 AM

38 posts, read 105,283 times
Heavynleigh,

I wouldn't panic, but if nothing else, why not have your husband fly up here real quick on Southwest and find a house. If it were me, I would be looking to buy as soon as possible, just for the simple sake of getting settled down. It would be a real stroke of luck to find a rental that you love, as I'm sure that 99% of houses on that market are also for sale.

I live in a place where heat is included in the rent, but I've heard that utility costs are low in general out here. Because spring takes a good while to take hold, expect to incur costs through April. Still, the overall mild nature of the weather means that intense consumption is hardly ever necessary. I would think, for a 2000 square-foot house, it might be around $150 through $250 a month during the coldest periods of winter, but there are so many variables in play, it is impossible to make an accurate prediction.

Cable One is the only cable provider in Boise proper, but I'm not sure about the 'suburbs'. I wasn't too thrilled with them, but maybe my previous providers were just exceptional. With all the deals through satellite, that will be the route I go next time. I like cable, but they are pricing themselves out of the game. If you go to the Cable One Web site, you can see their options and prices. They are less expensive than most providers, but that is because they offer less channels.

Good luck, and I'll keep my fingers crossed in hopes that you will find the right 4-bedroom house - may your transition be as seamless as possible.

gcflyfish

Old 02-13-2010, 02:05 PM

124 posts, read 276,693 times
I understand the idea of renting for a year, but you will find that housing market in Boise area has taken a nosedive. If you can pay that much in rent you can buy a NICE house. I say pick the schools you want and then trust your instincts.

Boise will feel MUCH smaller than Orange county. But it does have some very nice resources for things to do. How old are the kids? Stuff for them to look forward to might include
Snake River Birds of Prey Refuge (http://www.lasr.net/travel/recreation.php?Snake%20River%20Birds%20of%20Prey%2 0National%20Conservation%20Area&ID=1757 - broken link)
Boise Zoo
Discovery Center of Idaho

Then there's lots more - if you are outdoor types lots of hiking, skiing, white water rafting, etc close by.

In many ways it will be a big switch from California, but Boise is a great town. Best of luck with your move!

Old 02-13-2010, 04:05 PM

Thanks for the links! I'm sure my kids would love all three. The oldest will be 7 in May, the next will be 5 in May and the youngest will be three this October. We homeschool so I'm not too worried about the schools.

What is the property tax rate in the Boise area? When we owned a home in NJ it was about $6K a year for a house we bought for $185K, which drastically changed what we thought we could afford. I don't want to stumble on something like that again.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:08 PM

9 posts, read 49,537 times
The property taxes on a $185K house here shouldn't run more than $2500 or so. Not to mention you can buy a pretty decent house for that right now in West Boise. Have you tried Craigslist for rentals? They have probably the most listings for the area. If you think about looking into one of the suburbs, I wouldn't personally venture past Meridian or Eagle. Canyon county (Nampa/Caldwell) is pretty depressed right now.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:40 PM

14 posts, read 43,389 times
You might want to consider working with a property management company since you are on such a short timeline. I don't have anyone to recommend, but I'm sure others might. Just a thought! Good luck.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:27 PM

5 posts, read 24,861 times
Well, let us know where you landed! Sorry the weather is so crappy right now, it will be better in late March and April.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:44 PM

We will be arriving next week. I'm starting to get really excited! :-)

Old 03-02-2010, 10:02 PM

25 posts, read 78,015 times
Default homes for rent

I know of three, nice four bedroom homes in our subdivision right now that are up for rent. We live in West Boise, ten to fifteen min from downtown. Our subdivision is called Belmont Park. We have a beautiful, huge park with playground and sidewalks. The home here run in the mid to upper 200's, but you can rent one for $1,100-1,400 right now. If you're interested, I can get you some info...

Ann

Old 03-02-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishredhead667 View Post
I know of three, nice four bedroom homes in our subdivision right now that are up for rent. We live in West Boise, ten to fifteen min from downtown. Our subdivision is called Belmont Park. We have a beautiful, huge park with playground and sidewalks. The home here run in the mid to upper 200's, but you can rent one for $1,100-1,400 right now. If you're interested, I can get you some info...

Ann
I am very interested! That would be awesome, thank you so much! Right now we're going to be staying in a hotel while we look for a place and we're shooting for a move in date of 3/20.

We do have a large dog (very well behaved Great Pyrenees who rarely barks) and a cat.

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area