Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2010, 06:56 PM

4 posts, read 13,183 times

Advertisements

I live in Pocatello, and want to move up to the Boise area, looking for ideas on where to move, what areas to look in and what areas to run from???

I also wanted to know of some employers in the area that always seem to be hiring, or big companys in the area

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 05:23 PM

4 posts, read 13,183 times
:d

Old 03-05-2010, 08:54 PM

9 posts, read 49,536 times
As far as where to live, that depends entirely on the type of person you are I guess. What you're in to, likes, dislikes, etc... I would avoid Canyon County (Nampa/Caldwell) myself, but that's me.

As far as big companies that are always hiring - your best bet is with one of the many call centers in the area. They are always hiring, even in the down economy. Most have decent benefits and start around $10 an hour. There's a reason they're always hiring though, they do have a fairly high turnover rate. You have to have a thick skin and work exceptionally well under pressure. I did a stint at DirecTV when I first moved from Portland and I lasted about 9 months. I still regard it as the worst job I've ever had. That's me though; some people do fine and have worked call centers for years. The two biggest in the area are T-mobile and DirecTV, but there are many other smaller ones. Good luck.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:20 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,362,613 times
There are also banking centers in Boise that are currently expanding and hiring, jobs are being moved to Boise from other states.
Benefits are great, entry level pay starts around $13 - 15 an hour and guess what, these banks see signs of Boise and Idaho starting to recover.

PM me for info.

Last edited by TohobitPeak; 03-06-2010 at 12:30 PM..

Old 03-07-2010, 04:10 AM

55 posts, read 183,280 times
Call Centers: DirecTV, Cableone, Qwest, Teleperformance, EDS (apply through Volt), WDS Global, T-Mobile. (I recommend DirecTV, T-Mobile, or EDS out of those. Qwest & Cableone don't hire as often and the others are as crappy call center as you can get.)
Alaska Airlines has a reservation center here. You'll need a recommendation to even get an interview but they hire fairly often.
Wells Fargo & Citibank both have banking call centers here and are currently hiring.
All of Boise's call/bank centers start at at least $10 and several have benefits.

Otherwise, there's usually people hiring, but a lot of jobs are for a few hours here, a few hours there. I'd either have money saved for a few month's expenses or deal with a crappy job while you look. That said, coming before May will help as college students aren't out of school yet so haven't started summer job hunting. Boise's pretty good about keeping summer/holiday help on fulltime.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:49 PM

2,942 posts, read 1,637,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlymystory View Post
Call Centers: DirecTV, Cableone, Qwest, Teleperformance, EDS (apply through Volt), WDS Global, T-Mobile. (I recommend DirecTV, T-Mobile, or EDS out of those. Qwest & Cableone don't hire as often and the others are as crappy call center as you can get.)
Alaska Airlines has a reservation center here. You'll need a recommendation to even get an interview but they hire fairly often.
Wells Fargo & Citibank both have banking call centers here and are currently hiring.
All of Boise's call/bank centers start at at least $10 and several have benefits.

Otherwise, there's usually people hiring, but a lot of jobs are for a few hours here, a few hours there. I'd either have money saved for a few month's expenses or deal with a crappy job while you look. That said, coming before May will help as college students aren't out of school yet so haven't started summer job hunting. Boise's pretty good about keeping summer/holiday help on fulltime.
These companies mentioned on this post do hiring in bulk, also do terminating in bulk. Net jobs gained=0
Its a hard sell getting new customers, and keeping customers from canceling their services in this poor economy.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:49 PM

55 posts, read 183,280 times
^ A) Isn't that the curse of most call centers? Mass hirings/mass firings.
B) Everyone I know who's gotten on at one of those locations and worked hard has stayed on even in this economy. Call centers are no longer a cake job for permanent employment but you can hold on to one.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:46 AM

1 posts, read 4,249 times
So I know you folks have talked about the benefits at WDS....I start there with training on Monday the 24th of May....I have been out of work since December, and am looking forward to learning and contributing. What types of benefits, health insurance, etc...do they offer. I had a good interview and am now beginning to get curious.

Martha

Old 05-16-2010, 06:28 PM

18 posts, read 53,741 times
Last Thursday morning I flew my hot air balloon over Boise before packing up and heading back to the Lewis and Clark Valley to start the commercial ride season. Absolutely beautiful down there, I loved it!

I know in Boise, HP the computer company is a big employer, while I was down there I noticed lots of businesses give discounts to HP employee's. That might be a good one to try for. If you go a bit further up I would always give a strong recommendation to the North Idaho Region.

Good Luck,

-Jim

Old 09-21-2011, 09:16 AM

1 posts, read 3,203 times
I know this was posted quite a while ago but I just had to say that I too have worked for almost every call center in the Boise area over the last decade (EDS, T-Mobile, Directv, and Citi) and although I was recently let go, I hold no harsh feelings and still believe that Citi is the best of them all. They have great benefits starting on your first day of employment, start at $10.58hr, pay 10% shift differential for all 40hrs per wk if you work at least 20hrs past 5pm, and pay 20% weekend differential for any hours worked on weekends. They rotate holidays with other call centers so you get every other holiday off, and their staff (HR, managers, etc.) is by far the best I've ever seen. I was terminated for my own mistakes, not due to anything Citi did wrong and they have always gone above and beyond to try to work with me when things came up. I definitely recommend them to anyone who is out of work. Oh yeah, and they're "felon friendly". For those of you who don't know what that means, it means that as long as your conviction didn't have anything to do with fraud or money, they'll overlook it if you can show you are different now. If you're wondering, Citi is off Overland and Eagle Rd behind the T-Mobile call center. They are hiring a TON right now and are very busy with lots of overtime available. Hope this helps someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area