Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 01:43 PM

10 posts, read 46,105 times

Advertisements

I am trying to research what the inversion layer is and how it affects Boise. Is it fog, smog, haze? And does it last long in each season.
Portland has a white haze that seems to linger during the summer. Is this the same thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 03:18 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,707,155 times
It's basically a low dirty fog that hangs in the valley. It wasn't bad this winter but it has been known to stick around for several days/weeks straight.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:03 PM

18 posts, read 50,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
It's basically a low dirty fog that hangs in the valley. It wasn't bad this winter but it has been known to stick around for several days/weeks straight.
Thanks for the info truckingbronco. Are the summers clear and the sky blue? Is the inversion in the winter months only?

Old 04-06-2010, 08:21 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,707,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingup2 View Post
Thanks for the info truckingbronco. Are the summers clear and the sky blue? Is the inversion in the winter months only?
I've only been here a few years, but from what I've seen, the inversions are mostly limited to Nov-Feb and there is quite a bit of sunshine the rest of the year, especially in the summer.

I should also point out that I'm from the Pac NW, so my definition of "quite a bit" of sunshine may be a little skewed.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:26 AM

2,942 posts, read 1,637,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingup2 View Post
Like any other major city, Boise has its share of pollutants, smog, smoke, dust, and agriculture particles, which can turn the summer sky grayish.
If you want to a see, nice clear blue sky, you head up to the mountains. They are not far away.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:08 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,543,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwest09 View Post
Like any other major city, Boise has its share of pollutants, smog, smoke, dust, and agriculture particles, which can turn the summer sky grayish.
If you want to a see, nice clear blue sky, you head up to the mountains. They are not far away.
I always wondered what makes summer skies so "milky" looking compared to the clearer, bluer skies of cooler months...

Old 04-07-2010, 12:51 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,885,980 times
It can get bad in August-October because of wildfires, It got really bad a few years ago and outdoor school activities were canceled, and during the BSU-OSU game you couldn't even see the mountains from the stadium, which is pretty bad.

I think the schools were being a little over dramatic though considering I was working outside during this time. Healthy people should be fine.

The winter inversion hasn't been bad at all for the last two or three years though. And if it really gets to you, it's a short drive Bogus Basin, which gets you above the smog layer and into the sunlight.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:30 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,898,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jufrbo View Post
It can get bad in August-October because of wildfires, It got really bad a few years ago and outdoor school activities were canceled, and during the BSU-OSU game you couldn't even see the mountains from the stadium, which is pretty bad.

I think the schools were being a little over dramatic though considering I was working outside during this time. Healthy people should be fine.

The winter inversion hasn't been bad at all for the last two or three years though. And if it really gets to you, it's a short drive Bogus Basin, which gets you above the smog layer and into the sunlight.

Yeah, it has not been bad at all for the past couple to three years, it seemed to be worse three and more years ago becaue of the drought cycle the western US was in at the time. Except for a few days during the winter and late summer, it seems to have been a non issue these past few years and so far this year.
I think when we do get it bad, which isn't often, that the smog blows up from Salt Lake because it is overflowing in their valley and escaping

Old 04-07-2010, 04:24 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
My understanding of the process is that cold air gets trapped below a layer of warmer air and becomes stagnant. The cold air gets dirtier and dirtier due to normal city processes, such as car exhaust, fireplace burning, factory emissions, and agricultural emissions.

The cold air makes a little "bubble" in the valley that the warm air just glides across the top of, not mixing, so the cold air just hangs around getting more and more dirty until a storm comes through and blows all the stagnant air out of the valley. The reason the inversions have been less severe the last few years is because the storms have come through more regularly. The more often the storms, the cleaner the air.

Because the inversion is related to the cold weather, it is a winter only event. As jufrbo said, we do get some dirty air in the summertime if there are fires, but that is an entirely different phenomenon, not related to inversions.

Dictionary.com defines an inversion as this:
Also called atmospheric inversion, temperature inversion. Meteorology. a reversal in the normal temperature lapse rate, the temperature rising with increased elevation instead of falling.

In other words, it is warmer at Bogus than it is in Boise.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:09 PM

18 posts, read 50,845 times
Great information guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area