Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 07:04 PM

26 posts, read 55,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Like the whole world, we have a long way to go before the last person becomes "color blind" or fully relaxes around the "sexual preference issue". I have lived in many different countries where I have been the minority, and around many of the United States and all I can say is that I am sure greatful to call Boise home!
As you spout feel-good platitudes telling white people it is morally wrong to defend their own land, La Raza openly advocates genocide. It's not difficult to see where this will lead.

Look to Los Angeles for a preview of your wonderful Utopian future. Diversity; where everyone is brown.

Old 06-23-2007, 01:32 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,834,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARefugee View Post
As you spout feel-good platitudes telling white people it is morally wrong to defend their own land, La Raza openly advocates genocide. It's not difficult to see where this will lead.

Look to Los Angeles for a preview of your wonderful Utopian future. Diversity; where everyone is brown.
Ummm....did you mean to come across like sort of a jerk here? I hope not, since I actually think you're making a good point...and I am in full belief that it's "not a crime to be northern European" and we should be able to have communities where we don't have other cultures shoved in our faces...

But please think about the tone of your posts and try to assume the best of people who are making comments that you find objectionable...it will make for much more civil discourse during your stay here on CD...OK?

Old 06-28-2007, 01:39 PM

25 posts, read 117,328 times
I think you will be ok in Boise-- it's big enough that it's starting to become pretty diverse, and I think that diversity will be more welcomed than anything else. You might run into a few conservative attitudes inthe 'burbs that would eye you suspiciously, but once most of them get to know you they can be really accepting.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:43 PM

886 posts, read 5,713,456 times
It does not matter if you are a minorty or not. If you act like a retard you will be treated like a retard. People in Boise are very straight and will tell you like it is.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:55 PM

1,011 posts, read 3,093,778 times
Though I'm not a minority, I get the general impression that minorities are treated fair. I've never witnessed or heard of any overt racism, and I think Boiseans do their best to foster a sense of community for everyone.

One of the more amazing things I've witnessed in the last 5 years in Boise is the increasing diversity, and the generally good reception of it.

However, I don't think everyone is exactly comfortable with it. It's taking a bit for some of the long time Idahoans to adjust, sadly. Boise, and Idaho in general, has historically been a very white state. Being of a different race or ethnicity does raise attention, and I've been told that no matter how polite or accepting people are, you do feel "othered." My friend put it bluntly: "here, if you're not white, you stick out."

From my impression the worst experience I've had are the common jokes and stereotypes toward certain races and cultures that people here tend to hold on to, the kind of pathetic behind-the-back banter that is told when no one is supposedly looking or hearing. It's really just a mark of education (or the lack thereof). And again, from my experience, Hispanics get the worse treatment.

Idaho has a long way to go, but I don't think by any means it's a bad place to be a minority. Many of my friends have enjoyed it, and have found they've fit in and became Idahoan easy enough. Like someone said early, the whole world has a long way to go to becoming race and culture tolerant, and Idaho is no different.

Being gay or of a different religious faith in Boise, however, seems to be a bit more taboo, sadly enough.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:24 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,361,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
Though I'm not a minority, I get the general impression that minorities are treated fair. I've never witnessed or heard of any overt racism, and I think Boiseans do their best to foster a sense of community for everyone.

One of the more amazing things I've witnessed in the last 5 years in Boise is the increasing diversity, and the generally good reception of it.

However, I don't think everyone is exactly comfortable with it. It's taking a bit for some of the long time Idahoans to adjust, sadly. Boise, and Idaho in general, has historically been a very white state. Being of a different race or ethnicity does raise attention, and I've been told that no matter how polite or accepting people are, you do feel "othered." My friend put it bluntly: "here, if you're not white, you stick out."

From my impression the worst experience I've had are the common jokes and stereotypes toward certain races and cultures that people here tend to hold on to, the kind of pathetic behind-the-back banter that is told when no one is supposedly looking or hearing. It's really just a mark of education (or the lack thereof). And again, from my experience, Hispanics get the worse treatment.

Idaho has a long way to go, but I don't think by any means it's a bad place to be a minority. Many of my friends have enjoyed it, and have found they've fit in and became Idahoan easy enough. Like someone said early, the whole world has a long way to go to becoming race and culture tolerant, and Idaho is no different.

Being gay or of a different religious faith in Boise, however, seems to be a bit more taboo, sadly enough.

Great points Anchorless. I have personally never experienced any racist or deragatory comments thrown towards anybody of a different race in Boise...exept for the Mexicans...the ones that cause problems in the area. Most of the Mexicans are great citizens and add a lot to the diversity mix, but it seems like there are the rebels that make the local news and give the whole race a bad rap.

But you are correct that the whole world has a looooooooong way to go, and for the most part people in Boise seem pretty tolerant IMO, but there will always be people who are insecure and take that out on minorities. I have several friends of different races and they like it here but were wary at first until they realized that Boise is pretty cosmopolitan and people are friendly and open.

I would have to disagree with you on the faith and sexual orientation though.
Boise has a pretty diverse religious base, with Christians of all sects, and there are also lots of earth worshipers, Wiccans, a Muslim center, Hindu, the list goes on. Boise is getting more diverse every month

I am not gay, but have gay and lesbian friends and they have no issues living here. Boise has lots of dudes that are metro-sexual so you never know who swings the other way; I tease some of my friends about this Anyways Boise is known as a lesbian mecca, one of the largest in the West next to Portland according to a few of my lesbian friends. I have seen many gay/lesbian couples holding hands walking around so I don't think it is very taboo here anymore. Maybe 5 or 10 years ago, but those times are in the past.

Last edited by TohobitPeak; 07-16-2007 at 09:36 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-16-2007, 09:48 PM

Have you seen the periphery of some of the gay/lesbian pride parades? Just because there is a sizeable gay population in Boise doesn't mean Boise is tolerant towards them.

Some of the most disgusting things I've witnessed in Boise are words and actions directed toward our gay population. For as diverse as we are becoming we still have a predominantly large traditionally Christian/conservative/republican goatee-wearing, football watching, pickup driving red-blooded white American male mentality that just has resisted accepting homosexuals as normal and decent citizens. This isn't a knock against anyone who might display one or all of the traits I've listed above - but it does seem that demographic is the slowest to turn the cheek.

A good example of how far we've become - voting to keep Fred Phelps' ridiculous monument out of town.

An odd example of a person taking ten steps backward for his respective group - the young gay student who claims he was beat up on the Greenbelt for being gay, only to later admit he did it himself.

As for the religious atmosphere in Boise - it's still straight-up Christian, almost in your face and almost nauseatingly so. I like the Table Rock cross - I have no problems with it, and find it an interesting part of Boise. I did have a problem with the 10 monuments in the park, but not enough to warrant the city making a huge and litigious issue out of it.

I don't think that it's necessarily taboo to be of a different faith in Boise - we seem to have the live and let live ethic in full force here. I just think that the Christian religious machine is too prevalent here, and I do worry that it bleeds too often into policy. I don't want to hijack this thread into a discussion about religion - but those are my thoughts on the issue. For the record, however, I've never been one to worry too much about the visibility of any religion, so long as it stays out of politics.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:11 PM

^^^^

I don't want to argue with you, but I still don't agree with you regarding religion and sexual orientation issues. I feel I have a pretty good pulse on the attitudes in Boise, I am involved in various organizations here and don't see things as you do I guess. I can guarantee that any city, large or small, will have people who look down on homosexuality, even in San Francisco, so that argument IMO is irrelevant. Sexual orientation is more taboo for most people than different races are.

I happen to know more people who would rather go to the Opera, the Idaho Shakespeare Festival or the Philharmonic rather than watch football.

I have no issue with the 10 Commandments in the park, after all this county was founded by Christians. That is diversity after all isn't it? How can a person claim to be diverse if they don't like the 10 commandments in a park?
Would it be more acceptable if a Buddha statue were there? I would have no issue if there were, but I feel there was nothing wrong with the 10 Commandments in Julia Davis Park. It was a tragedy that they were moved IMO to give into a facist from BFE Kansas.
The Idaho Human Rights/Anne Frank Memorial in Boise is probably one of the most sacred places in the whole state because various races, religions, etc. are honored there with dignity. I have always wished that the Commandments were moved there rather than hidden away in a Church entrance. But that church is right accross State Street from the Capitol building so maybe that is a good place after all

Would it still be diversity if the Commandments were hidden away? With all of the politically correct propoganda currently going on in this country I would have to say that being Christian is diverse since there is such a large army out to silence Christians.

I happen to love the Table Rock Cross. It is like Idaho's Statue of Liberty welcoming anyone here , of any religious background, any race, who wants to live the good life
Just my opinions, so lets stop religious talk or this thread will probably get closed.
I respect you opinion so maybe we should PM each other.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:19 PM

Yeah, I was going to mention the Anne Frank Memorial. It's pretty amazing.

Eh, we can agree to disagree on these issues. It seems to me that you're coming at this argument from a (somewhat?) Christian perspective, and I from a non-Christian perspective, so we'll probably not see these things in the same color.

I think we agree on the larger picture anyway.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:21 PM

It's all good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area