Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 09:19 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,895,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Hey grmi66, I walk by there all the time but haven't stopped in yet. What can you recommend to a person new to Vietnamese food?
I ate there with a few friends for the first time this past weekend and while it is good, it is really just a Vietnamese sandwich shop with some smaller appetizers like fresh and spring rolls, and while there are some diverse selections on the sandwich menu, much of the menu is basic sandwhich fare found at many sandwhich shops, but with a Vietnamese twist. I think the reason a lot of people praise this place is because the food is very inexpensive and good for a large sandwich with some ingredients not found at Cobby's. If you are looking to try more traditonal Vietnamese food then check out Pho Nouveau downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 10:40 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,470,404 times
Ditto on what Syringaloid said, it's really just a sandwich shop. But the sandwiches that they have are really good and at less than $4 a sandwich a bargain as well. So far it is the only place in Boise that I get a real craving for if I have not eaten there in over a week or two. Plus it has the unique quality that I look for in good places to eat, I have never been to any other sandwich place like it in all of my travels.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:10 PM

229 posts, read 706,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
I ate there with a few friends for the first time this past weekend and while it is good, it is really just a Vietnamese sandwich shop with some smaller appetizers like fresh and spring rolls, and while there are some diverse selections on the sandwich menu, much of the menu is basic sandwhich fare found at many sandwhich shops, but with a Vietnamese twist. I think the reason a lot of people praise this place is because the food is very inexpensive and good for a large sandwich with some ingredients not found at Cobby's. If you are looking to try more traditonal Vietnamese food then check out Pho Nouveau downtown.

I'd be hard pressed to ever decide to waltz into another Cobby's again with Baguette Deli in existence. The price comparison is downright obscene (unless your gut is tiny enough to get away with ordering a small Cobby's sandwich, and then you pilfer about ten bags of chips and five pieces of fruit). Cobby's was already on the high end of pricing, and now Baguette Deli just makes their prices look foolish.

It IS just a sandwich shop, but the banh mi being offered is wholly unique to the area. That and the opening of the Yen Ching Bakery have been two big steps towards bringing authentic Asian cuisine into the area.

Pho Nouveau will have a challenger coming soon-- the owner of the Orient Market on Emerald is opening up his own place on 8th Street in a couple of months. He's bringing up a pho cook from L.A., and it sounded like he's going to integrate banh mi into the menu as well. It'll be great to get banh mi in downtown as long as the prices stay the same (and doesn't require waiter service in a sitdown restaurant setting). I'm going to need to pressure him to offer meat options like tripe and tendon that all of the other pho places are too scared to offer in Boise. There's also a new pho place opening up soon on Orchard north of Emerald. A lot of pho places but no ramen shops (sigh). Shows you how dominant the Vietnamese are when it comes to Asian culture here.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:08 PM

/\ /\ /\

That is some good news ramenfan. A little more diversity of Asian food selections downtown is always welcome, we already have a ton of sushi places in the city center so a little something different will be great. You may not be able to answer this question, but is the new pho place opening on 8th where the Osaka sushi used to be? I understand if you cannot mention the location yet.
It is too bad Sweetwater closed. It seemed to be busy the times I ate there. I think that space would be perfect for a dim sum restaurant. I had some dim sum at Mai Thai the other night with some friends and they all tasted the same, and I wonder if they make them home made or if they are bought frozen.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:58 PM

I actually asked the owner if it's going where Osaka was, but he said "no." He told me, but I didn't understand what he said and just left it at that. The only other vacancy on 8th I can visualize is where Mesa was, but I think the Weekly said that some other Tex-Mex joint was going in there. Maybe it'll be further south in BoDo?

Both Sweetwater and Osaka were on the Boise Weekly card (40% off), so I'm a little ticked about that. The only sushi place on the card now is Yoi Tomo, which I haven't been to yet but am not expecting much (seems rather gimmicky with a focus on show rather than food).

The Yen Ching Bakery makes steamed bao (BBQ pork, pork/vegetable, and vegetable) and serves them on Sundays after 9:30. That's the only dim sum option I'll have here, but it's not like we have many options to begin with. Before the bakery existed and before I let my membership expire, I would get Costco's dim sum tray maybe a couple times a year. Nothing special at all, but I figured it's just as good as anything Wok King or Mai Thai tries to disappoint us with (and I'm guessing they come to the restaurant premade and frozen).

Old 06-07-2010, 04:04 PM

Yoi Tomo is good and they have a Sake there with gold flakes in it but I cannot remember the name of that brand of Sake.
I stop by the Korean market on Ustick Road for some excellent homemade local Kimchee about once a month and asked if they know where to get some Korean food in Boise (I loved Korea House) and I was referred to Yoi Tomo because they offer more than just sushi, although I have not been there to eat since last November.

edit. I just remembered that there is a vacant store front, which used to be a jewelry store, on 8th by the escalators. That space is currently being renovated, maybe for some pho!

Old 06-07-2010, 04:40 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,884,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
A little more diversity of Asian food selections downtown is always welcome, we already have a ton of sushi places in the city center so a little something different will be great.
But we already have PF Changs, what more could you want?

Old 06-07-2010, 04:46 PM

Really? I took home a copy of Yoi Tomo's menu once and was just looking at it, and there's literally nothing on there that would make me think "Korean cuisine". And any subtleties between Korean style sushi and Japanese style are generally lost on me apart from usually getting smaller portions from Korean chefs. If this was an overt attempt to impart Korean style sushi on Boise, then perhaps it wasn't the best of ideas to use Japanese words in the name of the restaurant! What will it take to get one Korean owner to end the streak of Korean-owned Japanese restaurants and consider having a restaurant here that serves.....ya know, Korean cuisine?! I know a couple have fallen by the wayside (Koreana Grill, Kim's Restaurant on Milwaukee-- though you wouldn't know it until you actually saw the menu), but it sucks to have zero options for Korean unless you go to Diana Market or the place on Ustick and prep something yourself. Not to denigrate the opinions of the store owner on Ustick (who is a VERY nice guy, and I appreciate his constant and surely tiresome excursions to Seattle to pick up Korean groceries), but the homemade goods (like kimchi and bulgogi) at both stores is about the best option we have apart from hooking up with a Korean family.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jufrbo View Post
But we already have PF Changs, what more could you want?
PF's does good at attracting the suburban crowd into downtown.

I cannot imagine anyone wanting to eat at PF's when they can eat at Yen Ching.

ramenfan,
I agree with you about the Korean aspect. I was a little inquisitive about the selection of Korean food at Yoi Tomo after being told that some Korean options are on the menu.
I just took a quick look at their website and they have some Grill options but nothing screams Korean on the menu.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:24 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowsurfer View Post
LOL, where I live the locals voted Wendy's as the best Chili !!!!!! WTH?
!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area