Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 11:58 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times

Advertisements

It's been a long time since Tom Clancy came up with a new novel. The last one I was the Teeth of the Tiger and like all Clancy books I really loved it.

Now I'm stuck reading Clancy spin-offs like Vince Flynn, Dale Brown, and Larry Bond. Out of these Vince Flynn is the best and he was an advisor to Season 5 of 24 which won an Emmy. His books feel like my favorite show 24.

But Tom Clancy is the master of the military/spy/political thriller and I can't wait for any of his new novels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 10:31 AM

793 posts, read 3,121,504 times
I say good riddance- even after I close a chapter of a Clancy novel for the evening his ego still oozes out of the pages even what books I did read of his. Don't ge tme wrong: he is a master when it comes government intelligence and astro-physics, no question. Unfortunately he doesn't need to be reitertaing it to me every step of the way of how masterful an intellect he is by needlessly going into a tangent and leaving the story line far behind.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:27 PM

66 posts, read 59,282 times
rofl...i like a few clancy books but vince flynn by far is the best i have ever read! cant wait for a new book to come out...

Old 06-20-2007, 10:49 PM

Yeah Vince Flynn is amazing...I've read 4 of his books so far, actually on the 4th one. He says he loves 24 too and there is definitely a parallel. Some of the books are so painful to read though, especially Consent to Kill....the storyline really makes you depressed. Hopefully 24 doesn't go down that road but then its never been a happy show either.

Dale Brown is a very distant third behind Vince Flynn and Tom Clancy.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:01 PM

312 posts, read 1,638,985 times
I enjoyed Presidential Agent Series, by WEB Griffin.
I only read books #1 and #2, waiting on #3 to come out in paperback.

By Order of the President
The Hostage
The Hunters

Old 09-21-2007, 11:17 AM

Default No new Tom Clancy books?

Its been ages since Tom Clancy came out with a new novel. He's my favorite author of all time. I think with his new video game company making tons of money he finds that more profitable than writing novels but I still wish he'd come out with something, and his last novel didn't have a sense of closure. It was even left open-ended when the good guys are making their way up the ranks of the terrorist organization going after jihadists who had attacked on American soil.

Now all I can read fiction-wise are Dale Brown (an inferior Tom Clancy knock-off in terms of writing skill and whose books are overloaded with technical details for anyone who's not an aerospace engineer), and Vince Flynn, who indeed is a very talented author with great relevent plots. HOwever I still miss Tom Clancy's work a lot.

Clancy's 1000 page books go by much faster than Dale Brown's 400 page novels. Vince FLynn like I said is excellent but his books feel too short, even at around 300 or 400 pages since its so exciting.

I never read got into Coonts or Griffith.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:20 PM

312 posts, read 1,638,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
I never read got into Coonts or Griffith.
WEB Griffin is a hit-or-miss for me. I really liked his recent Presidential Agent Series.
I am waiting on the last one to come out in paperback.

#1 By Order of the President
#2 The Hostage
#3 The Hunters

Old 01-11-2013, 08:36 AM

43,619 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Here the most recent Tom Clancy books that were published since the original posting of this thread:

Dead or Alive (2010, with Grant Blackwood) - The story picks up where The Teeth of the Tiger left off with Jack Ryan, Jr. and The Campus trying to catch a terrorist known as "The Emir".
Against All Enemies (2011, with Peter Telep) - A terrorist bombing in Pakistan wipes out Max Moore’s entire CIA team. As the only survivor, the former Navy SEAL plunges deeper into the treacherous tribal lands to find the terrorist cell, but what he discovers there leads him to a much darker conspiracy in an unexpected part of the globe — the United States/Mexico border.
Locked On (Dec 2011, with Mark Greaney) - While Jack Ryan Jr. trains to become a field operative within The Campus, his father campaigns for re-election as President of the United States. A devout enemy of Jack Sr. launches a privately funded vendetta to discredit him, while a corrupt Pakistani general has entered into a deadly pact with a fanatical terrorist to procure nuclear warheads.
Threat Vector (Dec 2012, with Mark Greaney)

Old 01-11-2013, 08:37 AM

43,619 posts, read 44,346,965 times
If you are still looking for Tom Clancy books, here are the most recent ones:
Dead or Alive (2010, with Grant Blackwood)
Against All Enemies (2011, with Peter Telep)
Locked On (Dec 2011, with Mark Greaney)
Threat Vector (Dec 2012, with Mark Greaney)

Old 01-12-2013, 03:26 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Well, if you believe the rumors, Clancy himself hasn't actually written any books since around 1996. He hires ghost writers, comments on the draft, then stamps his name on it.

I haven't liked any of his books since Without Remorse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books