Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2010, 12:44 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times

Advertisements

No, but I find that people who don't like e-books generally haven't given them enough of a try to make a judgement. The Kindle text is practically indistinguishable from look at a book text. When I got my Kindle I thought I wouldn't like it but found that I read even more with it than I did before.

I am not saying that people should get rid of their hardcovers or that they should be phased out. But for the average reader an e-book device is fantastic. Much easier to carry it around on vacation than 10 different hardbacks/paperbacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 12:54 PM

563 posts, read 929,679 times
While my home has several large, and overflowing bookshelves, I have started using a Kindle (was an Anniversary gift) and really enjoy its usefulness. I like to take it when I know I'll be somewhere that I need to wait awhile and don't want to lug books around. Plus getting info from Wiki is cool.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:43 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,560 times
One of the issues I have with getting an e-reader is that the Kindle is an Amazon product as the Nook is a Borders product.

I recall B&N were promoting the microsoft (and perhaps one from Sony as well) e-reader at one point then dropped ebooks back in '03, not sure which reader if any they cater for now. I don't like being restricted to ONLY e-books available through particular distributors.

Borders isn't doing well so I wonder if the Nook will be viable as an e-reader much longer, and Amazon is having issues with the publishers pricing structure, so all things being equal I think I'll take e-books under advisement for now.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:22 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,314,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
One of the issues I have with getting an e-reader is that the Kindle is an Amazon product as the Nook is a Borders product.

I recall B&N were promoting the microsoft (and perhaps one from Sony as well) e-reader
Actually.....
Amazon = Kindle
B&N = Nook
Borders = Sony Reader

I haven't ever tried to read a book on an e-reader. I HAVE purchased e-books that have been downloaded ot my computer. I MUCH prefer paper books.
1) I like having a visual sense of where I am in the story. Halfway through? Three-quarters? Almost to the end? It's easier for me to tell with a paper book.
2) I write in my books. I circle words that are unfamiliar and jot the definitions in the margins. I star passages I like or which are significant to me for some reason. I underline sentences that appeal to me grammatically.
3) I skim and scan and back up and re-read sections, and this is far easier to do with paper than with an electronic book.
4) I like the artful covers. (Not a fan of dust-jackets on hardbacks, though. Those go in the trash as soon as I bring the book home.)
5) I like the tactile experience of holding a book.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:27 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
Actually.....
Amazon = Kindle
B&N = Nook
Borders = Sony Reader
Thanks for the correction - my objections still stand though LOL

Old 08-23-2010, 03:31 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,314,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Thanks for the correction - my objections still stand though LOL
I hear ya and have no objections to your objections.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:33 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,322,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
Actually.....
Amazon = Kindle
B&N = Nook
Borders = Sony Reader

I haven't ever tried to read a book on an e-reader. I HAVE purchased e-books that have been downloaded ot my computer. I MUCH prefer paper books.
1) I like having a visual sense of where I am in the story. Halfway through? Three-quarters? Almost to the end? It's easier for me to tell with a paper book.
2) I write in my books. I circle words that are unfamiliar and jot the definitions in the margins. I star passages I like or which are significant to me for some reason. I underline sentences that appeal to me grammatically.
3) I skim and scan and back up and re-read sections, and this is far easier to do with paper than with an electronic book.
4) I like the artful covers. (Not a fan of dust-jackets on hardbacks, though. Those go in the trash as soon as I bring the book home.)
5) I like the tactile experience of holding a book.
All three have free apps for your home computer as well. I love books, the feel, the smell of ink. But - and this is a big BUT - I can't read them anymore. I am more than happy to have the option to read whatever I can download to my computer. Even a device would be too small, unless I was willing to read a couple words to each line. I like being able to spread the page to cover my monitor, and being able to enlarge the font enough to actually see distinct words instead of a gray blur. Even better, I don't get headaches from trying to focus on normal print (which I do at times with a magnifying glass, because I'm just too stubborn to give up something so important to me).

Old 08-23-2010, 10:50 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
All three have free apps for your home computer as well. I love books, the feel, the smell of ink. But - and this is a big BUT - I can't read them anymore. I am more than happy to have the option to read whatever I can download to my computer. Even a device would be too small, unless I was willing to read a couple words to each line. I like being able to spread the page to cover my monitor, and being able to enlarge the font enough to actually see distinct words instead of a gray blur. Even better, I don't get headaches from trying to focus on normal print (which I do at times with a magnifying glass, because I'm just too stubborn to give up something so important to me).
I hadn't thought of the size factor before. I think my mom would be more inclined to like a kindle or other ebook reader than I would - but her eye sight isn't as good as it was and that might be a problem for her. I know she buys large print books when they are available. Does anyone have any problems with the size of the kindle? Just wondering...

Old 08-24-2010, 07:11 AM

141 posts, read 405,472 times
If she is buying large print books a Kindle would be for her.
If you are concerned by the 6" screen (size of a paperback) there is a larger size model available (8" approx).
I find that with a Kindle I use a smaller size font than on the computer perhaps because I am closer to the K than to the screen. I also find myself starting with one size font and after a time changing it.
Remember there is a 30 day period before you can no longer return it. You might buy it and let her try it.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:06 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffeer View Post
If she is buying large print books a Kindle would be for her.
If you are concerned by the 6" screen (size of a paperback) there is a larger size model available (8" approx).
I find that with a Kindle I use a smaller size font than on the computer perhaps because I am closer to the K than to the screen. I also find myself starting with one size font and after a time changing it.
Remember there is a 30 day period before you can no longer return it. You might buy it and let her try it.
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books