Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 08:16 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
Who needs to carry around their entire library anyways?
Geez, pick a book and commit.
When taking long flights, which I do at least once a year, it's possible to blow through more than one book without the ability to just pop out and get another. Sometimes I also read more than one book at a time - different types of books for my different moods, I don't see that as a negative thing. Also, many people who read a lot of academic or non-fiction books can benefit greatly from carrying their entire library around with them, for reference purposes.

Quote:
Isn't that the beauty of being a reader of books versus the internet?
The ability to focus for longer periods of time?
I don't understand the relation you're making here. The only connection most e-readers have to the internet is to browse and purchase books (or newspapers and magazines). There's no reason why one can't focus for the same period of time on an ebook versus a paperback/hardback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 08:50 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,266,909 times
I will consider e-books only when I have a career or other sort of income flow that allows me to stop using computers and smart phones. Then, I just might be intrigued by yet more gadgetry. Until then, I will read real books and magazines. (thought I do like online newspapers).

Old 07-30-2010, 09:57 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
So apparently Amazon is selling more e-books than hard covers. No doubt they're giddy as it moves them a step closer to getting rid of the shame they feel for originally being a bookstore website. Anyways I'm about half and half hardcover and softcover. I can't see myself continuing to read if it goes to all e-books, or even only e-book on the books I want to read. Am I the only one?
No, you are most definitely NOT the only one. Any book that is only available as an e-book is not one that I would ever read. The same is true for the so-called "graphic novel". I gave up comic books 50 years ago!

Old 07-30-2010, 08:37 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
No, you are most definitely NOT the only one. Any book that is only available as an e-book is not one that I would ever read. The same is true for the so-called "graphic novel". I gave up comic books 50 years ago!
Well, just like you're missing out on some ebooks, you've missed Watchman, Sandman, Top Ten, Maus, Blankets, Bone, Fables, Ex Machina, Persepolis, Jimmy Corrigan, Love and Rockets.....

Old 07-31-2010, 09:10 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,831,245 times
I have used a Kindle, and I still retain information from a "real book" better.

I love going to the bookstore and going through the books, I love the smell of books, a just simply the anticipation of curling up with a good book.

Today I was at the beach with a great book, and it was awesome (Water for the Elephants).

I think it's great that there are so many prolific readers on this siteit has made for some most enjoyable moments.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:40 PM

69 posts, read 110,269 times
I had no idea Amazon was originally a book store. But I completely agree. My mom is into the whole e-book thing, and I feel that it just ruins the experience of reading. Im an avid book reader, and I love the pages and the smell of my old books. I hope the e-book thing is just a faze.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:50 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,167,234 times
A lot of old books smell like mildew or cigarette smoke...no risk of that with an ebook I still like used books but have come across plenty that are dog-eared, yellow, waterdamaged, stained, sticky from heaven knows what, and/or losing pages left and right. I don't understand people who idealize one format over another & especially don't understand those who think you have to choose one or the other and stick with it for the rest of your life. Pretty narrow-minded...

Old 08-01-2010, 08:59 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,242,310 times
Smile E Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
So apparently Amazon is selling more e-books than hard covers. No doubt they're giddy as it moves them a step closer to getting rid of the shame they feel for originally being a bookstore website. Anyways I'm about half and half hardcover and softcover. I can't see myself continuing to read if it goes to all e-books, or even only e-book on the books I want to read. Am I the only one?
No, you are not. I didn't read all the posts but there is just something to picking up an actual book and losing yourself in it.

I do enough reading online that my time with my book(s) is precious.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:26 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
A lot of old books smell like mildew or cigarette smoke...no risk of that with an ebook I still like used books but have come across plenty that are dog-eared, yellow, waterdamaged, stained, sticky from heaven knows what, and/or losing pages left and right. I don't understand people who idealize one format over another & especially don't understand those who think you have to choose one or the other and stick with it for the rest of your life. Pretty narrow-minded...
Exactly. I have a couple bookcases full of physical books, and a kindle full of ebooks and I switch back and forth between the two modes constantly. I also have Kindle loaded on my PC at work so when I'm at lunch/break I can read up on my school stuff without having to lug around my physical books OR my Kindle. They sync up to each other which comes in really handy

We have a small local bookstore, but they are extremely limited on titles and sometimes I have to wait weeks for them to get something I want in, so it's really nice to be able to just order a book on the Kindle and get it within 15 seconds.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:07 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,840,510 times
I CAN see someone that needs what would be multiple HEAVY textbooks using a Kindle or e-book.

But then I've never really gotten "into" downloading all my cds onto an MP3 player either lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books