Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 05:26 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,171,306 times

Advertisements

So apparently Amazon is selling more e-books than hard covers. No doubt they're giddy as it moves them a step closer to getting rid of the shame they feel for originally being a bookstore website. Anyways I'm about half and half hardcover and softcover. I can't see myself continuing to read if it goes to all e-books, or even only e-book on the books I want to read. Am I the only one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 05:29 PM

45,359 posts, read 60,546,019 times
No, you're not. I find I can't concentrate on the screen.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:37 PM

225 posts, read 1,075,275 times
Nope, you are in the midst of good company. I know a lot of people who are not ready to embrace this new technology just yet, and not in any time soon. I can see some good for this though such as if one does a lot of traveling then having the electronic gizmo would seem like a godsend compared to lugging books in the suitcases or travel bags. However, as much as I can see the good, I still prefer the old fashioned style of buying a book and holding the covers as I flip through the pages reading. I may be wrong but I don't see this technology replacing our beloved books as fast as CDs replaced the vinyl records and cassette tapes or as the DVDs replaced the VHS tapes. At least I hope it doesn't. Besides, for me, there is a certain pride in having a book library that a Kindle or E-Reader will just never capture.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:38 PM

848 posts, read 1,952,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
So apparently Amazon is selling more e-books than hard covers. No doubt they're giddy as it moves them a step closer to getting rid of the shame they feel for originally being a bookstore website. Anyways I'm about half and half hardcover and softcover. I can't see myself continuing to read if it goes to all e-books, or even only e-book on the books I want to read. Am I the only one?
No, you most certainly are not. I can't stand reading even long articles on any screen, and absolutely not on something as small as an electronic book reader.

My "library" is constrained by the size of my family room, but if on the slim chance all books were to be available electronically only, I'd start reading my own collection all over again!

Old 07-20-2010, 05:42 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,249,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
No, you're definitely not alone
//www.city-data.com/forum/books...er-box-33.html

Old 07-20-2010, 05:47 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,266,919 times
I prefer real books. In fact, I've never read an e-book. I do enough research on-line that when I'm reading for pleasure, I want to give my eyes a break. Plus, paper doesn't simulate sunlight, so reading it isn't going to give you insomnia.

Well, unless it's really good and you just can't put it down.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:55 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,111,231 times
anti e-book here.

I love gadgets and all that, however you can not compare to a real book.
I am on a computer all day so reading a book is for me, easier on my eyes.

Plus, I couldn't imagine my home without a bookcase full of books.

Recently I was in a rare bookstore where they had a copy of Wuthering Heights from a 1902 print (or sometime around then).... now, I might be a geek but holding that book and feeling the pages is something that the e-book will never be able to compete with.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:10 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,933,490 times
For the time being, I prefer real books to e-books.

I smiled inside while recently on a flight and the lady across the isle from me had to put her e-reader away during take-off and landing. I, on the other hand read the entire time. I don't like flying, so reading helps take my mind off the fact that I'm 30,000 feet in the air eating pretzels.

I also read a LOT each night in the bathtub. I can't imagine doing that with an e-reader.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:20 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Not at all. My husband threatens -- yes, THREATENS is the right word -- to buy me a Kindle. In response, I throw a temper tantrum: "But I need to touch the pages. But I need to SMELL the pages. I don't want a Kindle and you can't make me like it!!!!"

It's like I'm a kid who doesn't want to eat her broccoli.

PS. And, besides, I make almost all my money back by selling the books after I've bought them. I wouldn't be able to do any of that with the Kindle. Pfffft.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:40 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,437,138 times
Nothing will ever take the place of a real in the "flesh" book for me. I have never tried the e-books and don't plan on doing it.

forum rules, please read them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books