U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 01:52 PM

3,431 posts, read 3,737,088 times

Advertisements

Are there any books or series of books that are just as good or better than Harry Potter?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 02:43 PM

19,116 posts, read 27,901,368 times
I'm a HUUUUGE Harry Potter nerd.... I even have a small golden snitch tattooed on my arm

Some books that I've enjoyed are:
The Percy Jackson series
The Septimus Heap series
The Alechemist series (I highly recommend this one)
And if you're into something a little darker, the Abhorsen series by Garth Nix.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:52 AM

852 posts, read 1,228,686 times
We're a family of rabid Harry Potter fans, and the short answer is "no." I haven't found any yet.

However, one series that I love is Scott Westerfeld's Uglies, Pretties, Specials. They aren't HP, but I still enjoyed them very much.

If you're looking for a nice long escapist book, try The Mists of Avalon. It's a retelling of the King Arthur story from the women's view. Love it.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:12 AM

2,544 posts, read 3,794,081 times
Yes. Please read The Lord of the Rings series, by J.R.R. Tolkien. It should be required reading for anyone who is interested in the fantasy genre. It is, in short, excellent. I will be assigning The Hobbit to my daughter next summer (we have a summer reading list, and next year she will be eleven. It may be too complex for that age, but we'll give it a try.)

P.S. If you haven't already, don't see the movies first. Read the books first.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:17 PM

416 posts, read 574,783 times
You're probably going to be disappointed. After reading Harry Potter I started looking for books similar to it, and got a bunch of recommendations, none of which lived up to what I was wanting. I can list some books that I've enjoyed after reading Harry Potter, but I can't say they are going to hit you quite the way H.P. did.

The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud was probably my favorite series that I was told was as good as Harry Potter. I liked Bartimaeus' character a lot and the story was a good read.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:19 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,038,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post

Some books that I've enjoyed are:
The Percy Jackson series
The Septimus Heap series
The Alechemist series (I highly recommend this one)
I was JUST coming to post those. Also:

Magician series by Raymond Feist
Valdemar series by Mercedes Lackey
The Magic Thief series by Sarah Prineas
The Tapestry series by Henry Neff
Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull
The Companions Quartet by Julia Golding
The Dark Is Rising Series by Susan Cooper

Old 08-01-2010, 05:07 AM

3,093 posts, read 4,349,125 times
I've looked for and wide but I still haven't found any books that could hold my attention and make me want more pages than the Harry Potter series. With those books I would read for seven hours straight and not want it to end.

Lord of The Rings is good but Tolkien rambles too much some times and all those SONGS got old after a while. The books themselves are good but I found myself counting the pages until the end to see what happens already instead of wanting more and more pages like I did with HP.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:19 AM

378 posts, read 801,470 times
"Secrets of the immortal Nicholas Flamel" series by Michael Scott, available so far:
Book 1 - The Alchemist
Book 2 - The Magician
Book 3 - The Sorceress
Book 4 - The Necromancer
Total of 7 books is expected and I've read that Hollywood already purchased movie rights

Second the The Septimus Heap series by Angie Sage.

Thanks everyone for other suggestions

Old 08-05-2010, 04:42 AM

17 posts, read 15,026 times
Try to read some HP fanfics. From my experience, I've encountered many good writers with excellent fiction..

Old 08-05-2010, 03:39 PM

3,431 posts, read 3,737,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoLight View Post
"Secrets of the immortal Nicholas Flamel" series by Michael Scott, available so far:
Book 1 - The Alchemist
Book 2 - The Magician
Book 3 - The Sorceress
Book 4 - The Necromancer
Total of 7 books is expected and I've read that Hollywood already purchased movie rights

Second the The Septimus Heap series by Angie Sage.

Thanks everyone for other suggestions

Is this based on the Nicholas Flamel in Harry Potter or am I totally wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books