Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 06:35 PM
qwy qwy started this thread

296 posts, read 520,325 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]Over the summer break I went back home to visit but my parents took the TV out of my old room and after a whole week of pure boredom, I reluctantly decided to read some of my moms romance novels. Now being the manly man that I am –LoL! I chose to only read the paranormal romance novels –you know, vampires & werewolves, ghost & demons-, well skip ahead toward today and I’m hooked, I especially love Sherrilyn Kenyon and Christine Feehan. But I’ve noticed that the themes are always the same: this great woman comes into the life of this guy and makes him a better person. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I’ve been searching like crazy for a great romance book where the roles are reversed, where a great guy comes into the life of a women, the closed I’ve found was Graceling by Kristin Cashore.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Anyway if anyone knows of any paranormal romance novel that fits what I’m looking for please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 07:43 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,710,771 times
welcome to the dark side, lol. ALL of Kenyon's books are like that. Acheron was cool until he got his female (who sucked).

Try reading Gena Showalter's Playing With Fire. She doesn't really make him better, they pretty much are equal.

Oh, also, read Shelly Laurenston. She's THE funniest paranormal romance author out there and her women ROCK (so do the men).

Old 07-29-2010, 11:20 PM

122 posts, read 197,322 times
I would suggest J.R.Ward's Black dagger brother hood series it is very good read an it is not the typical guy gets help from a girl books although I am a big fan of Kenyon myself, I think Ward is a better way to go .

Old 07-29-2010, 11:20 PM

Nicloej Thank You! Well about acheron anyway. I keep trying to tell my mom about that ending but she didn't see it. I mean she had the character ach go though so much and all he go was a wife!!!

Old 07-29-2010, 11:22 PM

285 posts, read 616,300 times
If you're looking for a bit more equality between the sexes, i.e. nobody makes another person "better" then try Kay Hooper's Noah Biship/Special Crimes Unit books. Altho the series is more in the paranormal vein - telepathy, telekinesis, dream walking, ghosts, etc. - they are very enjoyable and unusual in their outlook on individuals and motivation. Not to mention VERY well researched.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:49 PM

I'll check out what everyone suggest but I really really really want stories where a woman has given up hope on love but then this great guy comes along... Who is human!

Now could be a whatever, but I think they have over done it on vampires, witches, werewolves, and dragons. That's what made ''Graceling'' so good.

I know romance novels are made mostly for women by women but hey wouldn't more women want a great guy to come into their life's, then for them to find a guy in need of major couch time with doctor Phil?

Old 07-30-2010, 06:44 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,710,771 times
I'd suggest going to the Amazon paranormal romance boards. Pose your question there. They ALWAYS have answers.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:23 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,549,639 times
If you can stand to read a contemporary romance, I recommend "Can't Stand the Heat" by Louisa Edwards. The heroine is kind of annoying, but the guy she meets doesn't need much fixing or improving.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:12 AM

1,995 posts, read 3,377,015 times
If you are looking for a strong hero with a lot of character you might try the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. It doesn't have vampires but does involve time travel.

Old 08-16-2010, 04:07 PM

219 posts, read 472,270 times
I like the paranormal series Jayne Ann Krentz is doing. She writes this series under 3 pen names, but all the stories are related to a society for people with paranormal powers 'the Arcane Society,' and a related series called 'the Burning Lamp' and they are thriller/suspense.

Amanda Quick: stories set in Victorian England
Jayne Ann Krentz: contemporary USA setting
Jayne Castle: future on planet colonized by humans

They are fun. Everybody is human.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books