Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 03:31 AM

4 posts, read 4,526 times

Advertisements

Which newly published book would you suggest for reading during a cruise, in September???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 07:18 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,643,687 times
Too broad of a question! What do you like? Help narrow things down a bit and I am sure you will get tons of suggestions.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:15 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
Not sure if you're read books by these authors or what you like/don't like but these sound like they might be appropriate if you're looking for a 'cruise' theme

Santa Cruise: A Holiday Mystery at Sea - Google Books

Wrecked | Book by Carol Higgins Clark - Simon & Schuster

Old 08-28-2010, 06:25 PM
B&A

336 posts, read 252,107 times
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. It is really popular. I just started reading it and I love it so far. The next book in the series is The Girl who Played with Fire and then The Girl who Kicked the Hornets Nest.

They are mystery books.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:17 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Probably not one about the Titanic.

Does being on a cruise mean your book choice would be different than reading in your home? I never got that whole beach reading thing except I'd choose a soft covered book over a hardcover because of the weight factor.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:37 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

Does being on a cruise mean your book choice would be different than reading in your home? I never got that whole beach reading thing except I'd choose a soft covered book over a hardcover because of the weight factor.
I think a lot of people don't really want to read something heavy while on vacation. For many, being vacation means giving their brain a vacation too by just reading something light and easy. I especially don't want to read anything too deep on vacation because I can get too wrapped up in it and tune out my surroundings (even when I put it down, I can carry on thinking about it for a while). I'm not paying all that money to go on vacation in a beautiful place only to have my head in a book the whole time.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:54 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,371,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

I don't get it either. I'll always read what I want to read when I want to. I don't have certain books for the beach, for vacation, etc......

Old 09-03-2010, 04:31 PM

522 posts, read 715,232 times
Elin Hildebrand,Sophie Kinsella.

Old 09-04-2010, 02:53 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,481,994 times
General Fiction:
Helen Simonson's "Major Prttigrew's Last Stand"
--Sub-plot, in rural England, snotty country golf club is finding Pakistani and India immigrants are actually more traditional British class-snobs than the next generation of young brash "London City" investment banking Americanized 20-somethings, who just don't fit into the country club mold.

Mystery:
Last book by Dick Francis (passed away last winter) with his son Felix
"Crossfire"
- Supposed to be a page turner and skip meals type of read. YMMV

Sword and Sorcery fantasy books:
Trudi Canavan's "Ambassador's Mission" (this is actually book 1 of 3, but also book 5 in a larger sequence of characters. Book does stand on it's own, however.)

Science Fiction
Kage Baker "Empress of Mars"
Hard to find novel. Last book from the late Ms. Baker. The "Empress" is a bar, or saloon, in the seeder side of the working class neighborhood of the planet Mars settlement. The lady and her daughters who run the Empress, plus the working class customer's are all Celtic, and the bosses of the settlement are your basic "English" by another name. Its the Irish peasant, robbed of his dignity and rightful land owed to the collective them and promised to them, against the uncaring bosses who report the the ruling money grubbing Corporations. Readers are warned they will crave a glass of bitters, or a smoothing Harp lager, and maybe a touch of Jameson's or Bushmill's to cleanse the pallet now and then. Smoking a pipe upside down while reading this yarn, is not recommended (hot ash will drop onto book.)

Nautical Novels:
One book publisher is reprinting the CS Forester novels of Horatio Hornblower. Again depends on your local book store, but I recommend the novel "Hornblower and the Hotspur" for cruse reading. But that book may be hard to find.

You could search out the new book by Madeleine Wickham, but her writing is not to my taste. I would rather read another Hornblower novel that one by Ms. Wickham. YMMV.

Phil

Old 09-04-2010, 04:46 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,643,687 times
you can't beat a James Patterson mystery for a quick, vacation read. there are tons to choose from!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books