Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 11:14 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
the storylines can be very good.
Most bestselling novels are based on absolutely absurd storylines. I dont see how fantasy/fiction literature is any different. Ive read enough of it to know that isnt the case. A story is a story.
You have a good point there. Anyway, thanks for all the info on anime. I'm now much smarter than I was a few days ago, and you never know when anime will be a question on Jeopardy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 03:16 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,451,347 times
I'd recommend Yokohama Kaidashi Kiko. It employs the old sci-fi trope of post-apocalypse, but it reads as mostly slice-of-life tales. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful illustrated series.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:08 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,398,319 times
I like animation but I'm not obsessed with it. I guess you can say the same thing for you enjoying something that I will never understand. Different interests.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:32 PM

713 posts, read 3,438,147 times
Sorry for posting on a old thread but anime is where the money is at

Example:

I went online to search for some shows made by Key like Air and Clannad and found that the DVD versions cost less than 20$. Ok thats all good but when I looked up the blu-ray versions I found that each are sold for $700 each O.O(From the main supply). I'm one for good quality stuff but going from 20$ to 700$ is pretty big. Also its been out on blu-ray for a year and I can't imagine what it was at when it was first released O.O

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=PCXE-60004 <- Example

Old 12-17-2010, 02:30 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,190,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBlue View Post
Why is it so popular? I've had several friends who loved this stuff and would go on and on about it and obsess over it and I never understood why. I've looked at the comics/movies to try to get the jist of it but I just can't get into it. What is the attraction?

I don't get it either.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:38 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times

Old 01-20-2011, 04:04 PM

24 posts, read 37,379 times
One cannot have a real appreciation of anime/manga with just looking at a couple of shows or books. It's like reading a boring book and thinking all books must be boring, why do people spend so much time reading? While they're all a product of Japan, with similar drawings, and same manner of reading it (manga) from back to front...the stories have different genres. They're not meant to appeal to an entire public (although some have success with a wide range of profiles). There are genres I wouldn't watch, others I would but maybe not enjoy, or sometimes it's a phase. Recently, I've been checking out slice-of-life genre and the others don't interest me for the moment.

If one isn't interested in animation in general, then that's one less point for anime to ever appeal to you. Another factor (from what my friends say) why people who haven't been exposed much to anime, dislike anime, is because of the stereotype: hentai, for kids, just exaggeration no story, they're all about robots, they're too unrealistic. Mostly it's the "kids" factor (or maybe because I'm not a kid and most of my friends wonder why an adult is so interested in "kidstuff"). A couple of them tried going beyond stereotype though and watched some recommendations. They've not become fans but they look at it differently now (and they liked what they saw). Anyway there is no need to understand why others like it and you don't. This phenomenon is not limited to anime but other people's interests as well. If it's not for you then maybe it isn't.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:07 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,171,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by light_shimmer View Post
I don't get it either.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:28 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,325,322 times
people who dont get it havent watched much of it.
It pretty much comes down to that.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:45 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,079,659 times
For those of you who are interested Stan Lee made an anime called "Heroman". I liked it, some didn't but I do think American cartoonist are going to start looking toward anime style cartooning in the up and coming U.S. cartoons. I am already seeing this happen, so there must be something appealing about it to America.
I personally love it, I have several that I wait for every week. I also like Korean and Japanese drama, as well as some European drama, just as much or better as I like American drama.
I am excited about the idea of world wide viewing, and am happy not to be limited to what we have in the U.S. have for entertainment. It's educational as well, it peaks interest to learn different languages, and about different cultures. Broadens ones mind a bit. Both my children have become fluent in Korean and Japanese as a result of anime, I think it's great.
They study a lot of Asian history, which has now spread to European history. It's not as shallow a venture as one might think.
But, I agree, to each his own, although there really is Anime/Manga for every walk of life, it's huge and endless. I think some people are just worried about trying something different, as well as fear of being ridiculed by friends for reading manga or watching anime, it still has a little geek attached to it but that really isn't the case anymore. Isn't "geek" the new "cool" anyway.
I know quite a few of us "housewives" are addicted to our share of Manga/Anime. lol
Soap Operas are a thing of the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books