Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 07:20 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,683 times

Advertisements

I have just started reading this book so no spoilers please. I'm just wondering did anyone else cry like a baby when Tom abandoned his child by the fire? Or am I just weirdLOL
So far I am loving this book. My brother recommended it to me. I am loving the history as I studied history in university so I am just finding that this book is so well written and I love the history in it as well.
Is there a sequel to this book?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 07:25 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,648,036 times
I have not read the book, but I am planning to. I did watch the mini-series on starz. I wondered how much the mini-series followed the book!

Old 09-08-2010, 04:26 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,374,256 times
Yes, lisalan, it is a wonderful book. It's one of my favorite books of all time. Ken Follett did write a sequel to Pillars, titled World Without End. I really don't know why it's called a sequel because it is definitely a stand alone book. It does have some of the same characters in it. It is also a great book. If you are enjoying Pillars, you would like WWE also. Enjoy reading!

Old 09-08-2010, 05:29 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,491 times
Oh, what a wonderful book. I have read it TWICE! I am in the middle (literally) of World Without End for the SECOND time right now. These are two of my all time favorite books. I love the history, the intrigue, the evil vs good, the cruelty, the love, the history. There is nothing about these books I dont like! Hope you continue to love it....its a very L O N G read but worth it. I couldnt encourage people more to read these two. Wish there would be a third!!!!!

Old 09-09-2010, 09:32 AM

141 posts, read 405,554 times
I thought both Pillars and World were terrific books. A painless way of reminding ourselves that the people who lived hundreds of years ago were very similar to today's population.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:27 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,683 times
I've just finished reading the book. I loved it so much that I've just strated reading it for the second time. Is the sequel any good?

Old 11-20-2010, 08:26 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KylieEve View Post
I have just started reading this book so no spoilers please. I'm just wondering did anyone else cry like a baby when Tom abandoned his child by the fire? Or am I just weirdLOL
So far I am loving this book. My brother recommended it to me. I am loving the history as I studied history in university so I am just finding that this book is so well written and I love the history in it as well.
Is there a sequel to this book?
Yes there is a sequel (WORLD WITHOUT END). It is almost as good as P.O.T.E. The author, Ken Follett, has a new one out that I have on hold at the library. It has GIANT in the title but I can't recall the full title right now. That happens when I have a caffeine deficiency.

GL2

Old 11-20-2010, 08:46 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,163,018 times
I started this book last month as it is one of my book club's reads this year, and I decided to get a head start on it. This wouldn't be something I would have picked up on my own, but it's well written and the story is intriguing so far. But unlike my normal routine where I only read one book at a time, this one is being read just a little at a time in between the other books I am reading. It's probably a great book for those of you who are into historic novels. I get bored too quickly and prefer faster paced reads (probably why I also have a hard time sitting through movies and rarely watch them). Short attention span, I guess. Plus I haven't much interest in this particular period of history.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:19 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Yes there is a sequel (WORLD WITHOUT END). It is almost as good as P.O.T.E. The author, Ken Follett, has a new one out that I have on hold at the library. It has GIANT in the title but I can't recall the full title right now. That happens when I have a caffeine deficiency.

GL2
Hope you had your coffee, GL2. But thanks for the tip that there's a new Ken Follett, AND the reminder that I need to look for World Without End at the libe this afternoon.

Read Pillars of the Earth years ago, when it first came out. My first Ken Follett book was Triple, back in the early 80's.

Old 11-20-2010, 12:24 PM

363 posts, read 583,298 times
Ken Follett's newest book is called "Fall of Giants" (someone at work called him Ken Fillett and didn't realize they mispronounced his name ).

I'm told Fall of Giants is the beginning of a miniseries, (guess that's easily checked) and will span many years and additional books. Being the slow reader that I am, (lack of reading time) I'll wait until the series is finished before reading Fall of Giants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books