Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 07:58 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,114,518 times

Advertisements

I am wondering how many books we big time readers buy, and how often we buy our books.

This week as I've been visiting our community independents, I bought two on Wednesday, and another today. I also got gifted with 3-4 free review copy books.

These two purchases are unusual for me these days. Having been on the road, literally, for 1-1/2 years I rarely bought books, used the library or borrowed books from my friends. When I left NM I gave all the books away, some to the library, several bundles to a book dealer-friend and our local community charity. In VT, I was so privileged to have a wonderful library just down the road, and they intra-library loaned dozens of books whilst I lived in the community. No purhases for the entire sojourn.

Wonder what other people's buying habits might be!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 08:06 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,398,320 times
My wife is the reader..... she sells on line to support he habit. I was shocked how many and where the books go. She has inadvertantly (sure wish i could spell) made me speed read some of my books and others before they are shipped. She has a number of repeat customers from Amazon, Barnes & N, & Alibris.

Last edited by ontheroad; 03-06-2008 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: No promoting of sales permitted.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:30 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,435,815 times
I buy too many books! We just moved here and have a GREAT library within walking distance, so this will probably impact my book buying. When we moved I had more than 50 large moving boxes of books to drag along, that was after I gave a lot of books to various charities and friends. Books are so hard for me to part with, they are like friends! If they go to a good home, it's easier.... lol. OTOH, I like to support small bookstores, that's always a good excuse to buy more books.

forum rules, please read them

Old 03-06-2008, 08:33 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,446,746 times
Almost afraid to post how many books I buy, and how often. Hubby might see this post.

In all seriousness, good question.

I am largely housebound, so I order books from B&N, or Quality Paperback, but when my dear husband will drive me over to the bookstore, I'll stock-up. I try to really search the discount shelves -- without fail, there will be a few titles I have been wanting to read.

When I was still teaching, I would make almost weekly treks to a bookstore, and on most occasions, walked out the store with several selections. I have to stay out of bookstores, as it is most unusual for me not to find a book.

When I order books online, I try not to over do it, especially if there is a sale on, and free shipping. Since I am retired, and no longer buying clothes to wear to work, spending more money on gas, and all of the incidentals that are work-related (lunches, something to drink during the day), I can justify purchasing books if I don't go crazy. I also justify it by telling myself I am keeping my brain active -- anti-Alzheimer's activities, you know.

I probably buy the most books at holiday time as everybody gets books! including me -- I'll hand my husband a book, and my daughter, and say, "here, I saved you the trouble of wondering what to get me. I wanted this book. Thanks."

Old 03-06-2008, 08:33 PM

But, katzenfreund, how many is too many?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
I buy too many books! We just moved here and have a GREAT library within walking distance, so this will probably impact my book buying. When we moved I had more than 50 large moving boxes of books to drag along, that was after I gave a lot of books to various charities and friends. Books are so hard for me to part with, they are like friends! If they go to a good home, it's easier.... lol. OTOH, I like to support small bookstores, that's always a good excuse to buy more books.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:42 PM

It sounds all good. But no number.

When I lived near a bookseller, any, and whilst working I probably read about 2-5 books a week, and when the pile got too short, I stopped by again and bought more.

When I lived in NYC, booksellers were all around me, and one second-hand dealer who read many books I also enjoyed, sold these to me for 2 for $1.00 or 5 for $2.00. I could read those mysteries in a night if I got into the story.

When I lived in the Village, I often went to St. Mark's Bookstore, still among the best stocked independents, and bought anywhere from 1-6 at a time.

Numbers. I want numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
Almost afraid to post how many books I buy, and how often. Hubby might see this post.

In all seriousness, good question.

I am largely housebound, so I order books from B&N, or Quality Paperback, but when my dear husband will drive me over to the bookstore, I'll stock-up. I try to really search the discount shelves -- without fail, there will be a few titles I have been wanting to read.

When I was still teaching, I would make almost weekly treks to a bookstore, and on most occasions, walked out the store with several selections. I have to stay out of bookstores, as it is most unusual for me not to find a book.

When I order books online, I try not to over do it, especially if there is a sale on, and free shipping. Since I am retired, and no longer buying clothes to wear to work, spending more money on gas, and all of the incidentals that are work-related (lunches, something to drink during the day), I can justify purchasing books if I don't go crazy. I also justify it by telling myself I am keeping my brain active -- anti-Alzheimer's activities, you know.

I probably buy the most books at holiday time as everybody gets books! including me -- I'll hand my husband a book, and my daughter, and say, "here, I saved you the trouble of wondering what to get me. I wanted this book. Thanks."

Old 03-06-2008, 08:45 PM

I don't sell my books anymore, except for those I classify as unique--I have sold many art books or non-fiction on line, but rarely if even, literature, mysteries or sci-fi. I give those away.

At present, I have 3 boxes of books in the car ready to go to the Literacy Program in a nearby town. The program uses the sales of the books to keep their non-profit program going and I get more space to buy more books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsmith680 View Post
My wife is the reader..... she sells on line to support he habit. I was shocked how many and where the books go. She has inadvertantly (sure wish i could spell) made me speed read some of my books and others before they are shipped. She has a number of repeat customers from Amazon, Barnes & N, & Alibris.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:19 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,435,815 times
Well - numbers - it varies, but the average would be 2 a week?! Some of those are non fiction, such as cookbooks, gardening, nutrition, health etc. I have also gotten interested in graphic novels, meaning books like The Sandman series or I just pre-ordered Jason Lutes No. 2 of the Berlin series, I came across the first one by accident and enjoyed it.

forum rules, please read them

Old 03-06-2008, 09:32 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,644,916 times
not much of a book buyer..a huge library user! benefiting greatly from my tax dollars..

Old 03-06-2008, 10:17 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,321,642 times
I don't know [knew, I should say] and never wanted to! Scary thought, that. I got most of them from thrift shops and garage sales and the sale rack at the library and the library's annual sale of 'old' books and the used book stores in Anchorage [huge bags full of them] and at least one or two every time I went to the grocery store [which was almost every day] and I got rid of nearly equal amounts. They all went to the library's sale rack when we were still in AK, but I still kept a LOT of them. When we moved from AK I got rid of at least 90% of those, and I still had at least 20 cartons. Some I've since traded for other things, some I've sold on ebay, a lot [too many] I've kept just because - that meaning that I might just work my way through them once more, in spite of the hassle of reading the printed word.

Thousands. Many, many thousands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books