Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 03:59 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,875,013 times

Advertisements

How do these affect the eyes long term? Something we should know before we rush to equip our students with e-readers.

Perhaps paper books are better when it comes to ergonomics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 07:56 AM

10,210 posts, read 17,864,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
How do these affect the eyes long term? Something we should know before we rush to equip our students with e-readers.

Perhaps paper books are better when it comes to ergonomics?
E-readers which use e-ink (which is all of them apart from the iPad which is actually a tablet computer, not just an e-reader) are actually very easy on the eyes since they do not use backlit screens. They look just like a piece of paper except they have no yellow tint so I don't think they will have any long term affect on the eyes. The white of the screen is a tad darker than the white of paper books but as long as it's properly lit, it's not any harder to read and as the technology progress, the contrast is getting better and better. It's really quite remarkable how paper-like the screen is and you really can't judge it until you've seen it in person (pictures don't do it justice).

In fact, because you can change the size of the text with e-ink (and with some, the font type and line spacing), it is arguably better for the eyes because you can format the text to suit your eyes. People who can only read larger print paper books benefit greatly from this feature.

E Ink - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Besides which, millions of people spend hours everyday in front of a computer and the long term affect on our eyes isn't a huge concern for most. But even so, e-ink is not the same thing as a computer monitor at all.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:41 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,709,398 times
I have a nook. I very rarely use it. I prefer the feel and sound of real books. But it's nice for when I can't find a book near me.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:20 PM

1,050 posts, read 3,525,430 times
Default Nook

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
I have a Nook and I love it. I've read a couple Kindle books on my Ipod Touch as well...prefer the Nook but there are times when I've been out without it and was glad to have something to read on the Touch. The actual Kindle device is fine but I hate the fact that you're limited to Amazon's format only. I've read about 12 books since I got my Nook in July and previously would be lucky to get through 2 a month. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to insinuate that a "real" reader would never read an ebook, though...

I love my Nook too. My husband got it for me in September and I am on my fourth book. Almost done with Fall of Giants......

Old 12-05-2010, 08:12 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times
The Kindle is a god send for folks with vision problems like my macular degeneration. I hadn't been able to read a book in 3 years till I got my Kindle. I would prefer holding a book, and I would prefer weighing 120 lbs like I did when I was young but that is not the reality so I am happy to be able to read at all. I got the smaller size which I can hold and turn pages with 1 hand. Couldn't even do that with a real book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books