U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 12:47 PM

4,515 posts, read 4,613,527 times

Advertisements

The way Moon writes about military training in the Paks books is some of the best I've ever read.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 11:28 AM

8,232 posts, read 12,575,952 times
Her bio says she has a degree in history. I emailed her once and she self studies medieval and rennaisance military battles. She said several of the large battles in the book are based on famous real battles.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:18 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,117,583 times
Giesela:

Earlier in this thread I asked about Ms. Moon's books, and you endorsed her.

Just to let you know, I found a used hardbound set of her "Vatta War" series. I don't know if this series is representative of Ms. Moon's typical writings or not. I did like the series, being it was more of a hard core space opera, and totally plot driven, but if I hadn't found a used set of hardbound books, I probably wouldn't have delved into her works. (I need the larger print of a hardbound book.)

But, yes, I did find her works more attuned to a younger audience than someone over 60, like myself. Ms. Mood's main character (in the Vatta War series) is someone who is very youthful, extraordinarily and exceptionally gifted, someone who is placed in a social position of being an outsider or at least in a socially isolated position, and in general few social peer friends with witch a social support group exists (outside of work / employment.) The crisis of the plot develops around the main character's use of her innate strengths to gain the respect of older adults, and to form strong bonds (and loyalty) with her, and other characters in the novels who will form the main character's new social support friendship groups. The antagonist is another older adult who opposes and is disdainful of the main character's abilities and judgment plus total disrespect of the main character.

Is this correctly applicable to the characters of the "Pak" series?

FYI: My current favorite book form SF is "Windup Girl" by Paolo Bacigalupi, which is not in any way similar to Ms. Moon's work, As Far As I Know.

Phil

Old 10-21-2010, 01:53 AM

3,841 posts, read 4,024,714 times
Hi Phil, I figured I would respond some to your questions on the Paks books.

The story is a "Heroes Journey" type; the character is a young woman, daughter of a sheepherder, who refuses to be wed as her father wishes, and runs away to join a mercenary unit. The story follows her as she grows from a young, naive girl, to a confident, powerful woman. What's interesting is that the author takes what could be a pretty pedestrian fantasy story, and injects it with real military training and some deep politics. Add to that a fully realized religous system and you have a very well fleshed out world and a very interesting character who learns just what her place is in the world.

I have never read Moon's sci-fi but I would not hesitate to recommend the Paks books.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:54 PM

What Winternyght said This is not sci-fi, more fantasy although the world is very similar to our medieval times, say northern Italy. . The only "magic" is not magic per se but religious based.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
What Winternyght said This is not sci-fi, more fantasy although the world is very similar to our medieval times, say northern Italy. . The only "magic" is not magic per se but religious based.
That was more true of the original three: there were Mages but they were low key. The new book has an old character who discovers she wields the magic of old and is a pretty powerful Mage. But...like most things Moon writes about, she makes the magic different and interesting. She comes from a family of mages who augment their power with blood rituals from one of the evil deities.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:46 AM

Good point. The paladin's and other religious sects versions of paladin's get their 'magic' from/thru their religious sects saints.
In this book other have this "blood magic".
But in a way isn't it similar? They get their blood magic from blood sacrifice to a saint of....well they don't say but the devil I assume; Liart. The difference seems to be that the other deities pick their paladins where in blood magic it might be anyone who commits to the blood sacrifice and torture can acquire the magic.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:55 PM

3,049 posts, read 2,034,868 times
I was not a fan of her first book. Plot and characters seemed really thin.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Good point. The paladin's and other religious sects versions of paladin's get their 'magic' from/thru their religious sects saints.
In this book other have this "blood magic".
But in a way isn't it similar? They get their blood magic from blood sacrifice to a saint of....well they don't say but the devil I assume; Liart. The difference seems to be that the other deities pick their paladins where in blood magic it might be anyone who commits to the blood sacrifice and torture can acquire the magic.
The origin of magic isn't too expounded upon but it was common in the Old Kingdom, augmented by the worship of Liart, and runs in magical families. Dorin is a very powerful mage and no follower of Liart so there's definitely a diety component to some of the magic but not all.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:55 AM

I forgot about Dorin! She's very much an anomoly. Because blood magic was outlawed right? Probably because of the sacrifice thing. So Dorin is pretty different. I suspect that will be something explored in the next books. Hopefully there will be several!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books