Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 09:47 AM

1,446 posts, read 4,585,789 times

Advertisements

I was in the bookstore lately and I saw this book on the shelf called "undateable." I am sure anyone who has ever been in a BarnesandNoble or Borders lately has seen it. Now I know it is supposed to be funny...but some of it is based on some truths. For example, chest hair, ponytails, etc. can be seen as unattractive, especially on a first date. However, some of it goes too far. Like the book's claim that men should not love nor adapt cats. Cats?! Would a man really be undateable if he has a couple of cats?! WTF?! Are there really women out there that find such men unattractive or too feminine because he likes cats? Should I see women unattractive if she has a dog? I am assuming that there are some women out there that would find a man owning a cat as too soft, otherwise it would not be in that book. But how many women are actually like that? I am sure it is a VERY small percentage, especially over the issue of a man's pet. Am I correct?

However, the book does suggest that a certain degree of pickiness on the part of many women. OK, guys should wear there pants so low. We men should also be clean-shaven on a first date and not carry fanny packs. But why do so many women get so picky over other very trivial stuff? Perhaps, there should be an undateable book for women and we men should get more picky too! LOL! However, all of the feminist groups in the country would get upset over that too! On a more serious note, although the book was supposed to be funny, it did reflect on one aspect of contemporary gender roles. Men have to be careful what we say or do a lot more these days. For example, men cannot support men's rights or oppose women's rights or we "will never find a girl." However, women are much more freer to support women's rights and other causes without having to worry about "not finding a man." In other cultures, especially more conservative ones, women cannot be seen as too feminist or they "will never get a man." That's reality.

So why has the pendulum swung so far the other way? I know most women are not as picky as what the book may suggest, but there are some truths to the book. Why are men not so picky, unless the women is overweight or a complete witch? Am I correct to make such assumptions? Are we too superficial of a society? Why do men have such harder times finding a date than women? Are many women just a little too superficial and picky over such minor issues? Debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 10:32 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,367,904 times
There is no such thing as undateability. Screw what common society says.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:05 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,584,738 times
You claim a couple of times that the book has "truths" in it - how did you determine these claims to be truth?

Take a look at the two female authors on their web page - they look as if they're more spoiled than the Kardashians.

I think the book was written as a parody - don't take it so seriously.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:15 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,983,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
You claim a couple of times that the book has "truths" in it - how did you determine these claims to be truth?

Take a look at the two female authors on their web page - they look as if they're more spoiled than the Kardashians.

I think the book was written as a parody - don't take it so seriously.
Don't take it so personally now!

Old 10-21-2010, 12:16 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,834,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
Cats?! Would a man really be undateable if he has a couple of cats?! WTF?! .
Well since I am allergic to cats yeah, he would be undatable.

Quote:
we men should get more picky too! .
Who says you can't be? There's no law saying men can't be picky. Rock on!

Quote:
However, all of the feminist groups in the country would get upset over that too! .
Doubtful. There are books on every subject. If you researched it I bet you'd find a book all about women "should" be on a date, etc.

Quote:
So why has the pendulum swung so far the other way? I know most women are not as picky as what the book may suggest, but there are some truths to the book. Why are men not so picky, unless the women is overweight or a complete witch? Am I correct to make such assumptions? Are we too superficial of a society? Why do men have such harder times finding a date than women? Are many women just a little too superficial and picky over such minor issues? Debate.
Who's being superficial here? You just admitted most men won't date an over weight woman. You don't call that superficial?

Old 10-21-2010, 12:20 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,676,229 times
I think you can tell a lot about a man by the salad dressing he chooses. For example, I could never date a man who used "Thousand Island" dressing.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:29 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,613,474 times
LOL the nicest guys I've known have had cats.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:34 PM

74 posts, read 248,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
LOL the nicest guys I've known have had cats.

Really?

Old 10-21-2010, 12:36 PM

951 posts, read 1,807,687 times
Default More and More..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
I think you can tell a lot about a man by the salad dressing he chooses. For example, I could never date a man who used "Thousand Island" dressing.
...... most men aren't even trying to navigate through the mine field anymore. They want players anyway.

Why waste all those hard earned attributes on the average entitled woman. You'll likely lose in the end, in any event.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:46 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,386,195 times
There are some weird people in this world. Seriously, who is the audience for this book? Would anyone fess up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books