Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 06:28 PM

88,701 posts, read 85,065,285 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here read Nelson Demille? I've enjoyed most of his books. Didn't like Spencerville as much, but The Charm School, The Gold Coast (and the sequel The Gate House), Night Fall and Cathedral were really good. The last two are my favorites of his. I enjoy that he throws of lot of little-known facts into his stories along the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 04:19 AM

417 posts, read 457,556 times
I actually have never read any of his- but I know he is so amazingly popular. I think your post just gave me that extra push to try one of his. Referring to Nelson Demille
Another author I have heard great things about (writes similar types I think ) is Daniel Silva. ...
That to be read list just grows and grows.

Last edited by salonva; 11-05-2010 at 04:19 AM.. Reason: duh left out Nelson Demille- context!!!

Old 11-05-2010, 07:38 PM

169 posts, read 527,119 times
Not in order:

Fiction:

The Guernsey literary and potato peel society

The Help

Water for Elephant

The Hunger Games (like Book1 and 2. Book 3 not so much)

Non-Fiction

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED)

The Glass Castle (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED)

Running for Scissors

Old 11-07-2010, 06:56 AM

88,701 posts, read 85,065,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummm View Post
Not in order:

Fiction:

The Guernsey literary and potato peel society

The Help

Water for Elephant

The Hunger Games (like Book1 and 2. Book 3 not so much)

Non-Fiction

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED)

The Glass Castle (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED)

Running for Scissors

I think it's Running WITH Scissors, lol. I started that one, but couldn't finish it, probably because I've had too many alcoholics in my life and reading a book written by yet another one about his life just annoyed me. I know a lot of people like his books, though.

The Glass Castle is excellent. Haven't heard of the Henrietta book--will look that up.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:27 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,238,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post

Sole Survivor is exceptionally good and written by a Navy Seal. I never realized just how hard the Seal training is. The author explains what he went through in that training and I don't know how anyone survives it. However, the author did and thank God for that because he was captured by the Taliban in Afghanistan. The story of how he survived and how the anti-Talib Afghans saved his life is amazing. True story. Easily half the book is about the Seal training.
I went looking for Sole Survivor and I think you mean
Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10 by Marcus Luttrell (Sole Survivor is a book by Koontz)

Old 11-07-2010, 12:34 PM

169 posts, read 527,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think it's Running WITH Scissors, lol. I started that one, but couldn't finish it, probably because I've had too many alcoholics in my life and reading a book written by yet another one about his life just annoyed me. I know a lot of people like his books, though.

The Glass Castle is excellent. Haven't heard of the Henrietta book--will look that up.
You're right, it's Running WITH Scissors. I wasn't thinking straight when I wrote (even though no alcohol was involved )

I really liked the Henrietta book. One of my best reads of the year.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:13 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,359,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I went looking for Sole Survivor and I think you mean
Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10 by Marcus Luttrell (Sole Survivor is a book by Koontz)
Yes, that's the one. Sorry for the incorrect title. I had borrowed the book from my BIL and no longer had it. So, I couldn't easily check the title but I was so sure it was "Sole" rather than "Lone."

It truly is a good book and I don't usually read books about the military although I love the life I had as a child of the Air Force.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:08 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,352,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Yes, that's the one. Sorry for the incorrect title. I had borrowed the book from my BIL and no longer had it. So, I couldn't easily check the title but I was so sure it was "Sole" rather than "Lone."

It truly is a good book and I don't usually read books about the military although I love the life I had as a child of the Air Force.
I don't normally read military type books either but I recently read "Horse Soldiers" by Doug Stanton and found it a remarkable read. It is the story of a cavalry charge and the first Special Forces sent to Afghanistan following 9/11. It's just amazing how Stanton captured the atmosphere, and a feeling of spookiness. When I first picked it up, my intention was to page through it, but it was one of those books that I sat up all night reading. I'd highly recommend it, even to those who don't normally read military/war type books.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:04 PM

1,050 posts, read 3,530,824 times
Default Nelson DeMille

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Does anyone here read Nelson Demille? I've enjoyed most of his books. Didn't like Spencerville as much, but The Charm School, The Gold Coast (and the sequel The Gate House), Night Fall and Cathedral were really good. The last two are my favorites of his. I enjoy that he throws of lot of little-known facts into his stories along the way.

I love Nelson DeMille. I have actually been to two book signings. He is great to listen to. Charm School has been my all time favorite. I found a hard copy in a used bookstore years ago and he signed it for me along with several others. I loaned a paperback copy to a friend and she locked herself in the bathroom for a hour to get way from the family and finish it

Old 11-22-2010, 08:10 PM

1,050 posts, read 3,530,824 times
Another one I could not put down is "Social Crimes" by Jane Stanton Hitchcock. Women love it. It is a tale of the glitter of New York's high society. Murder obsession and revenge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books