Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 03:19 PM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times

Advertisements

I looked through quite a few previous pages to see if this was done recently and didn't see it so here goes...
Can we start a thread of books to suggest if someone says they are looking for a good book, which is a good read ( as in captivating and effortless)...well known or not so well known.

my offerings (better known ones)
-

Midnight in the garden of good and evil

The Guernsey literary and potato peel societ

The Other Boleyn Girl (and all the Phillipa Gregory ones)

Lesser known ones-
Mapp and Lucia (LOVE this series)
Village School (and the Miss Read Series)

Next?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 05:28 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,643,687 times
Books by Jeffrey Archer. You don't hear much about him, but he has some very good "character books" that follow characters over a length of time.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:47 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
I Am Hutterite is a good book if you are a fan of autobiographies. It's also an interesting look into the Hutterite culture. Fast read and informative.

Beautiful Boy just about wrecked me because it's so painful to read about someone destroying his own life from about age 15 and putting his family through hell. The author is a journalist and the man can write well. He writes of his son's downward spiral into drug addiction over several years. I highly recommend it.

Tweak is the story delivered in book form by the son. During the reading of this book I wanted to slap the author around for what he did to his family.

Sole Survivor is exceptionally good and written by a Navy Seal. I never realized just how hard the Seal training is. The author explains what he went through in that training and I don't know how anyone survives it. However, the author did and thank God for that because he was captured by the Taliban in Afghanistan. The story of how he survived and how the anti-Talib Afghans saved his life is amazing. True story. Easily half the book is about the Seal training.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:10 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,190,746 times
Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series- bought the first one (Outlander) just because it was a huge book that looked like it might last me the entire road trip from Minnesota to Texas. Have since bought the rest of the series and read each one at least three times. I have several friends that are big bookworms like me and for x-mas I bought them the first book. Each are now eagerly waiting book 8 right along with me

Old 10-24-2010, 09:47 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Here are five I've read recently that I don't think attracted much attention, but I found them to be unusually good reads:

Mischa Berlinski "Fieldwork"
Robert Ford "The Student conductor"
Jim Fusilli, "Hard, Hard City"
David Lodge "Deaf Sentence",
Peter Temple. "The Broken Shore,

Old 10-26-2010, 02:32 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
The Other Boleyn Girl (and all the Phillipa Gregory ones)
I hate that book. For Tudor fiction, I recommend "Autobiography of Henry VIII" by Margaret George. For a historical fiction author with a huge back catalog, I would recommend Jean Plaidy over Philippa Gregory.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:04 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,061 times
I'm making it a point to read the James Michener books not previously read. I just finished Edward Rutherfurd's New York. Rutherford has been compared to Michener, and I want to see if that claim is true. I just started Caribbean.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:48 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Some books by Canadian writers that might not be well-known in the US: Who Has Seen the Wind by W.O Mitchell, As For Me and My House by Sinclair Ross, The Colony of Unrequited Dreams by Wayne Johnston, The Stone Angel by Margaret Laurence, The life of Pi by Yann Martel.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:23 PM

88,514 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
Books by Jeffrey Archer. You don't hear much about him, but he has some very good "character books" that follow characters over a length of time.
I've only ever read Kane and Abel. Maybe I'll look for more by him. Thanks.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:25 PM

88,514 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I hate that book. For Tudor fiction, I recommend "Autobiography of Henry VIII" by Margaret George. For a historical fiction author with a huge back catalog, I would recommend Jean Plaidy over Philippa Gregory.
I've never heard of Jean Plaidy, thanks. I will look for her books in the library.

And I'd recommend Sharon Penman over Philippa Gregory. I read Gregory's books after I exhausted all of Penman's but wanted to stay in that time and place but it was like having a sandwich instead of a full meal.

Margaret George's books are good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books