U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 12:30 PM

4,308 posts, read 12,278,807 times

Advertisements

I just joined one in my home town. It's actually a group that's broken up into 3 as there are so many members. So far I've attended one meeting at a local Panera and it was great fun. The next meeting is at Borders and we are reading Year of Wonders. We can all suggest books and then we vote on the next one for the group. I found them thro meetup.com.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 05:24 PM

323 posts, read 469,427 times
I found mine through asking folks and posters - I am in 2 - one is focused on history and the other more light stuff - been a member of one for 8 years.

We meet 2x per month and read out loud( history group)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
If so how did it work out for you? Have you been going a long time? How did you find the book reading club? Is it a library thing, a meet up thing? Did you have to attend several before finding one you liked?

Old 11-18-2010, 08:13 PM

1,802 posts, read 7,587,816 times
I joined one last year that my sister and some of her friends started years ago. The members have changed over the years as some people drop out but then others join, so the group has survived a number of transitions. Right now there are about 8 of us and we meet once a month - rotating houses. Our year begins in September, as the group was started by several teachers and that has always represented the beginning of the year for them. At the first meeting, everyone suggests several books and we choose 12 from the pool to read.

The food part of the meetings have also evolved from just munchies to now having a full meal. The hostess each month prepares appetizers and dinner and serves wine for those of us who enjoy that and sodas and water for the rest. The food is always delicious (we actually aren't sure whether we are a reading group who likes to eat or an eating group who likes to read).

I am enjoying being part of the group; sometimes we veer off course and talk about other things but for the most part we discuss the books. It has gotten me to read a lot of different types of books that I wouldn't have picked up on my own.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:24 PM

64,917 posts, read 61,177,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Never been to one in person but I enjoy the group reads on Goodreads - you can read and discuss more at your leisure. And you can find groups based on specific genres.
Thanks. I am going to look for this.

My mother belongs to a book club and she likes it. I looked last year, but most of them in the area met during the day and I can't do that. There was one in my old town with women I knew, but they didn't read the kind of things I like to read--I like a lot of nonfiction, historical fiction, and I like intrigue/spy type of stories, and a lot of women don't read those things, I find. I know there ARE a few, because I've seen them on THIS forum.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:03 PM

3,946 posts, read 3,291,732 times
I used to belong to a book club sponsored by a branch of the county library. We would read books and watch movies based on the books. Then we would discuss both. A very interesting exercise, but the group disbanded a couple of years ago.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:24 AM

21,188 posts, read 22,176,742 times
I just joined a book club a few months ago when I moved into my new home. It's the neighborhood book club and there are about 10-15 of us at the meetings. We have it at a different member's house each month and we have munchies and drinks. The host of the next month's meeting brings in a bunch of books and we vote as to which book we will read. I've loved it so far! I haven't loved all of the books - but I've loved some of them. I've read books that I never would have picked out on my own - I love that about the book club! It's also been a great way for me to meet more of my neighbors!

Old 12-03-2013, 07:18 AM

10,784 posts, read 12,091,531 times
My wife and I have been in a book group for fifteen years or so, although it's been going since about 1976. It's unusual in that we have men and women, and that book selection rotates: no group input on what books are chosen. I think both of these elements help to make it as successful as it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or