Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2010, 11:21 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times

Advertisements

The first 2 are books I read in the 90s and would recommend if I could remember the title's or authors.

1) A Canadian author, female. A brother and sister (maybe a young 3rd sib too) living outside a small? Ontario community (farmhouse setting) lose their parents but stay in the house and finish raising themselves. There is a thread about the brother and sister going to the pond and looking at the water bugs. The sister grows up to become an academic who studies...bugs. Her brother stays on the farm. When she finally goes home she finds her brother has maintained his interest in water bugs and there is some sort of emotional reconciliation of her past and present on her part. Good book. Would recommend it and would like to read it again.

2) 1st book by author (maybe only?) Female author, perhaps semi-autobiographical story of growing up on a Montana prairie cattle farm. One childhood memory is of a blizzard that almost kills all the cattle and her father trying to keep them alive long enough to calve. The bulk of the book is her marrying a cattle farmer, dealing with depression and the realization that farm life is not for her. I think the word Soil is in the title. Breaking with the soil?

3) I think I read 1 book, all there was but I got the impression it was supposed to be a series.
Girl and her brother travel around the country working for people who hire her to find the dead. She has a 6th sense or power. I don't remember her really talking to them or anything. She just knows where bones are. I think her and her brother have an incestuous relationship?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 11:41 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Could the first author be Gail Anderson-Dargatz, perhaps?

Old 10-30-2010, 12:09 PM

Went to her website, nope. But her books look interesting.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:18 PM

7,306 posts, read 9,311,516 times
I am almost positive that your first book is by Margaret Atwood and I think the book itself is Cat's Eye. Atwood does have a book that starts off in exactly in the way you describe so if it isn't Cat's Eye, then it might be another book by her, but her book was never meant to be a series. It is one of the only books by her that I like.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:31 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,371,184 times
I think your first book is Crow Lake by Mary Lawson. I don't know about the others, sorry.

Old 10-30-2010, 02:20 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,320,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
The first 2 are books I read in the 90s and would recommend if I could remember the title's or authors.

1) A Canadian author, female. A brother and sister (maybe a young 3rd sib too) living outside a small? Ontario community (farmhouse setting) lose their parents but stay in the house and finish raising themselves. There is a thread about the brother and sister going to the pond and looking at the water bugs. The sister grows up to become an academic who studies...bugs. Her brother stays on the farm. When she finally goes home she finds her brother has maintained his interest in water bugs and there is some sort of emotional reconciliation of her past and present on her part. Good book. Would recommend it and would like to read it again.

2) 1st book by author (maybe only?) Female author, perhaps semi-autobiographical story of growing up on a Montana prairie cattle farm. One childhood memory is of a blizzard that almost kills all the cattle and her father trying to keep them alive long enough to calve. The bulk of the book is her marrying a cattle farmer, dealing with depression and the realization that farm life is not for her. I think the word Soil is in the title. Breaking with the soil?

3) I think I read 1 book, all there was but I got the impression it was supposed to be a series.
Girl and her brother travel around the country working for people who hire her to find the dead. She has a 6th sense or power. I don't remember her really talking to them or anything. She just knows where bones are. I think her and her brother have an incestuous relationship?
This is a newish series by Charlaine Harris - Gave Sight, Grave Surprise, An Ice Cold Grave. I think there is a 4th one out also, or about to be released. It's called the Herper Connelly series. I enjoyed them.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:20 AM

You guys are great! Yes it is Crow Lake by Mary Lawson - I will reread it and recommend it based on my memory of it.
Apparently this was Today Show book read #7 and got lots of good reviews/accolades back in 2002.

Yes it was C. Harris - funny I didn't remember she was the author, I've read the TB series. When I went off to check it on google its often referred to by the character name and I don't seem to be able to remember that. I did check Harris's website and didn't click the link with that name lol! She has a book review blog I will have to revisit.

I found the second one after googling female authors Montana - just lucked onto one site that wasn't just a long long list of names but a a more select list with titles.
Its "Clean Break" by Judy Blume. Certain scenes from this book have really stayed in my minds eye which is why I wanted to make sure I retracked down the title/author. An incredible description of growing up on a remote ranch. I recommend it.
4.5 stars on Amazon, it won some awards too.

Thank you all so much!

Old 10-31-2010, 01:36 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
A great book with a similar thread is WINTER WHEAT by Mildred Walker although I am not sure if that is the title you are looking for.

GL2

Old 01-11-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
You guys are great! Yes it is Crow Lake by Mary Lawson - I will reread it and recommend it based on my memory of it.
Apparently this was Today Show book read #7 and got lots of good reviews/accolades back in 2002.

Yes it was C. Harris - funny I didn't remember she was the author, I've read the TB series. When I went off to check it on google its often referred to by the character name and I don't seem to be able to remember that. I did check Harris's website and didn't click the link with that name lol! She has a book review blog I will have to revisit.

I found the second one after googling female authors Montana - just lucked onto one site that wasn't just a long long list of names but a a more select list with titles.
Its "Clean Break" by Judy Blume. Certain scenes from this book have really stayed in my minds eye which is why I wanted to make sure I retracked down the title/author. An incredible description of growing up on a remote ranch. I recommend it.
4.5 stars on Amazon, it won some awards too.

Thank you all so much!
For crying out loud. I hate to drag this thread up since its finished but I couldn't remember the names of these books i wanted to recommend, yet again, and so did a search on my name yada yada.

Went to add these on goodreads so I wouldn't forget them yet again. I have the title and author of the second one wrong!

Judy Blunt - Breaking Clean
Extraordinary, seems to be the only book she wrote. In one sitting no less.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:19 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
For crying out loud. I hate to drag this thread up since its finished but I couldn't remember the names of these books i wanted to recommend, yet again, and so did a search on my name yada yada.

Went to add these on goodreads so I wouldn't forget them yet again. I have the title and author of the second one wrong!

Judy Blunt - Breaking Clean
Extraordinary, seems to be the only book she wrote. In one sitting no less.
I'm happy that you dragged up this old thread. I just looked up Breaking Clean and it's right up my alley. I love memoirs. I just added it to my "to read" list. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books