Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 12:18 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
People also have to realise that the law of attraction also works in a negative way. Ever notice it's the things you worry about MOST that actually happen in one form or another? Some call this self fulfilling prophecy but isn't that exactly what the law of attraction IS?

We just hope to learn to harness that power in a positive way.

The most "primitive" of peoples were/are more in touch with this law than most - consider the Native American raindances or the hunting rituals to attract game and ensure a productive hunt.
Nope, I've never noticed that. People always talk about how much time they spent worrying about things that never happened - me included. The very worst things that have happened to me, I never once saw coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 02:58 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,841,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Nope, I've never noticed that. People always talk about how much time they spent worrying about things that never happened - me included. The very worst things that have happened to me, I never once saw coming.
Well they do say that of 5 things you are worried about - only 2 WILL happen - so now you can worry about WHICH two LOL

Old 11-10-2010, 06:21 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Same here.

That's why we should worry about everything all the time--worrying prevents the thing from happening.

This type of thinking became such a part of my life at one time that it got me weekly visits with a nice little man to talk to for a while.

In a way, when the worst thing happened and I was not one bit worried beforehand, it sealed in my mind how demented that type of thinking was. And as the nice little man pointed out, when disaster came for real, I reacted calmly and knew what to do.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:56 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
I've not read The Secret nor seen the movie, but I'm familiar with the concept thru the book Excuse Me, Your Life is Waiting! That one is an easy read and lays it out pretty well. I have seen this manifest in my life in many ways--both positive and negative. Lately it manifested in a very negative way--I work with a handicapped girl in a a high school and do a lot of schlepping her around. I was really worried that I would throw my back out even though I've never had back problems. Then I did throw it out, but in the craziest of ways--I was working for an after school event and was very angry at one of my co-workers who was being disrespectful to me and though I don't remember doing anything specific to it, I ended up in agonizing pain and though that was a month ago, I still have some pain and numbness in my arm from the pinched nerve.

Positive thinking earned me a round-the-world trip, but only when I finally started to believe that it could happen and took the steps to make it so. TLOA doesn't just hand you what you want--you have to believe that you have the power to make it happen. I've talked to so many people who would love to do the same thing but couldn't b/c of kids or other responsibilities. Well he!!--we just took the kids and they had a blast and we had a blast with them.

I'll not bore you, but I've seen it work in many ways in my life and sometimes in just little ways, but in ways that it can't be a coincidence. And I've just realized that I should probably be trying to manifest myself a good teaching job right now.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:01 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesconsinite View Post
Sad to see such jaded and pessimistic views here on the whole concept. Yes, the author is just an evil woman out to trick people out of their money. lol...
I think there are far worse influences and people in this world trying to do a whole lot worse for us...
I saw the film and enjoyed it and it's good to be reminded, b/c in truth I've gotten away from this for awhile and have been pretty negative lately, though I learned a harsh lesson from my back pain and have gotten back on track.

I will say this though--the great thing about TLOA is that it's absolutely free. If you just watch the interview and do what he says, you'll see it work in your life and no one even needs to know about your "foolishness." Yes, some people do capitalize on it, but that doesn't make the message wrong--beware of tossing out a good idea b/c someone else used it in a crazy way. Just go with what you know is right. Also, I don't think this is a religious concept in that there is no right or wrong--it's outside of the laws of morality--it just IS. Maybe I'll try this on the situation I have at work with the sociopathic co-worker that I was complaining about in another thread!

Old 11-23-2010, 07:38 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,410,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I saw the film and enjoyed it and it's good to be reminded, b/c in truth I've gotten away from this for awhile and have been pretty negative lately, though I learned a harsh lesson from my back pain and have gotten back on track.

I will say this though--the great thing about TLOA is that it's absolutely free. If you just watch the interview and do what he says, you'll see it work in your life and no one even needs to know about your "foolishness." Yes, some people do capitalize on it, but that doesn't make the message wrong--beware of tossing out a good idea b/c someone else used it in a crazy way. Just go with what you know is right. Also, I don't think this is a religious concept in that there is no right or wrong--it's outside of the laws of morality--it just IS. Maybe I'll try this on the situation I have at work with the sociopathic co-worker that I was complaining about in another thread!
I love the part in the movie The Secret where the homosexual guy/aspiring stand-up comic who hates his day job manages to turn his life around. It can truly happen. It's happened for me. When you change your outlook, and you change circumstances of your life for the better, just watch - new people are going to come in, and others will fall away.... because some people won't line up with your vibration anymore, whereas others finally will. It has to happen that way. You may even be surprised (for better or worse) which ones in your life fall away. Maybe people you considered close family or friends. But thank God for the blessing. You'll find your true people.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:52 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,409 times
"The Secret" should've been titled "Magical Thinking" because that's basically what it boils down to. If simply wishing for something or acting as if you already have attained it, as the author instructs, actually worked, than everyone would be happy and wealthy and successful.
But where the author really lost me was when he claimed that those poor souls who are afflicted with a terrible disease, say cancer, actually brought the malady upon themselves due to their negative thinking.
If you're really looking for some good, new-agey self-help stuff, you'd do far better to read Deepak Chopra.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books