Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2010, 06:54 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,185,562 times

Advertisements

This is one of those books that has stayed in my memory a few years later so I thought I'd see what other people think if they have read it. And recommend it to others who think they might like it after reading the description.
I don't remember any great truths, life metaphors or anything. It was just one of those books that really sinks you into the location, time and characters.
Unique and well written.
The horse ranch and horses are a large part of the book.

I will say it is not a particularly happy book (but not super tragic either) so if you are one of those people who insists on happy, then I would not recommend it for you.

From Amazon
With the sure hand of a seasoned writer, Aryn Kyle has crafted a brilliant debut with her novel, The God of Animals. Alice Winston, living on the family horse ranch, a marginal enterprise in Desert Valley, Colorado, is a 12-year-old girl with more than she can handle and no one to help her cope. Polly, a classmate of hers, drowned in the nearby canal and was carried out by Alice's father, Joe, a member of the volunteer posse. Her older sister, 16-year-old Nona, eloped with a rodeo cowboy. Her mother never leaves her bedroom, a case of clinical depression. "My mother had spent nearly my whole life in her bedroom... Nona said that one day, while I was still a baby, our mother had handed me to her, said she was tired, and gone upstairs to rest. She never came back down."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 10:23 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,944,455 times
This is so odd!!! It's the second time in as many days that this book was put onto my radar screen, and I'd never heard of it before.

Yesterday it showed up in my Amazon list of "More Items to Consider" and today you're recommending it.

I took that as a sign and just ordered it.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:22 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,265,550 times
The God of Animals by Aryn Kyle

It's so well written and the story is so good.

Twelve year old Alice is so wonderfully scripted, so intense, so tightly woven that I completely identify with her. But it is not just Alice's story it is the story of many characters in the book. Yes, even the horses'.

Reading this book has reminded me, and I do need to be reminded from time to time, that no matter how complete, how rich, how fulfilling another person's life may seem to be to us, it is not always so. Everyone has their own cross to bear, their own sadness, their own battle.

The God of Animals reminds the reader that we are lucky. We always have a choice and there is always a light at the end of the tunnel if we will just look for it.

This book is a total delight. It's not full of fru-fru personas. It has grit and sorrow and absolute joy.

I absolutely recommend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books