Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 12:01 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,648,977 times

Advertisements

I'm usually not a fan of non-fiction but I loved the Da Vinci code and finished it in three days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 12:40 PM

1,872 posts, read 6,492,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycew02 View Post
I'm usually not a fan of non-fiction but I loved the Da Vinci code and finished it in three days.
Er...you realize that The Da Vinci Code was fiction, right? Or did you mean to say that you are usually not a fan of fiction?

Old 07-22-2007, 01:03 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Er...you realize that The Da Vinci Code was fiction, right? Or did you mean to say that you are usually not a fan of fiction?
It was fiction based on facts...and I do absolutely believe that women were surpressed by all men for thousands of years...and to actually have had an intimate relationship with Jesus, isn't all that absurd...it is most certainly possible, and most certainly would have been a cover up...

Man is man...
he needs heros, he needs a leader

Old 07-22-2007, 01:05 PM

1,872 posts, read 6,492,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
It was fiction based on facts
Fiction based on facts = still fiction.

Old 07-22-2007, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate angels View Post
Creme I too happy that begin to discuss the book :] and I look in you 'public..' and you are Agnostic and I understand you very interesting this book
Wasn't always agnostic...was born and baptized Reformed...from there it was Prodistant, Catholic, Luthern, Menonnite, Baptist, reformed baptist...have studied many religions Kate angels....and they to me, are all man made....

Faith is what matters...not religion...and faith ultimately leads us to questions....which is surely not of Satin, but just plain curiosity.

I have taught Sunday School, and been a youth group advisor...and I don't buy religion. It is way to political.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:20 AM

Quote:

yes, it is, with fact in it...in other words the story itself was fiction, but he used facts to articulate the story....

Old 09-08-2007, 09:23 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,910,881 times
Default Irritating book

I too found the novel inaccurate (especially in some of the easily verifiable details about the Louvre) and found the plot preposterous. Yes, the movie was worse. Both irritated me no end.

It has, however, raised some interesting questions about the role of women in the Catholic Church as well as about the accuracy of the early writings of Christianity - including the Bible. For this it was more than worth the paper it was written on.

Just an interesting trivia point on the subject of Mary Magdalene: The word "maudlin" is an alteration of (Mary) Magdalene, who in paintings was often represented with eyes red and swollen from weeping.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:07 AM

Quote:

not necessarily...

Fiction is story telling. More specifically, fiction is an imaginative form of narrative, one of the four basic rhetorical modes. Although the word fiction is derived from the Latin fingere, "to form, create", works of fiction need not be entirely imaginary, and may include real people, places, and events.

Generally, a fact is something that is the case, something that actually exists, or something that can be verified according to an established standard of evaluation.[1][2] There is a range of other uses, depending on the context. People are interested in facts because of their relation to truth.

Dan Brown took what a lot of people believe to be fact...and wrote a fictious story with factual account's in it...again...it is according to one's belief.

I don't believe God would have deprived Jesus of knowing the true gift of intimacy, between and man and woman.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbJ View Post
I too found the novel inaccurate (especially in some of the easily verifiable details about the Louvre) and found the plot preposterous. Yes, the movie was worse. Both irritated me no end.

It has, however, raised some interesting questions about the role of women in the Catholic Church as well as about the accuracy of the early writings of Christianity - including the Bible. For this it was more than worth the paper it was written on.

Just an interesting trivia point on the subject of Mary Magdalene: The word "maudlin" is an alteration of (Mary) Magdalene, who in paintings was often represented with eyes red and swollen from weeping.

The book and movie irritated you b/c you were offended by it's accusations, due to your religion...actually it is not as preposterous as you like to convince yourself it is. If it were true, can you imagine the implimentations on religion? I think, back then, men feared the strength and intelligence of women...it was not so innocent as you may believe...men killed people, tortured and raped people, for going against society....today, we do the same thing, but in a more subtle way...we turn our backs on those who do not go along with the beliefs of society.

Just stop and think for a moment, if you believed this...you would open yourself up to critisum by society....you would be called crazy...people would point at you and laugh...just b/c your not afraid to think outside the box. Or color outside the lines....and it would also suggest that millions of people were wrong in their beliefs...which would anger and frighten and drive some people over the edge...Those people can't accept anything beyond their own concept...unfortunately, and sad to say, it is difficult for them to fathom...or even begin to deviate from their families traditions....which again, is so sad...and stagnates the progress of society and the capactity of our brains.

Man needs someone to do their thinking for them...b/c man is lazy by nature. They want to live in this protective little plastic bubble that each of us creates for our lives, and we don't want to venture beyond that bubble, we don't want to even consider the fact that somewhere perhaps 1 mile down the street is suffering, or has been raped or beaten as a child...but...they confess to be Christains???????

I have been associated, with many religions, and I am not at all impressed. I've quit religion, b/c it is always so confounded cut and dry, and yet, those same people practicing their religion, become so offended, angered, by anyone that colors ourside the lines, and suggests someting different.

We have been bottle fed religion...since day one...and if you look back in history, each and every culture, had their own religion and spiritual aritifacts which they worshiped. We are no differnt...although we call ourselves civilized.

Religious Christains, obtained their beliefs from men, and stories, handed down from one mouth to the next....and they they wrote the Bible, which is an excellent book to live life by...but...I have studied history and have seen what early religious leaders have done to women....

Man always needs a leader....they cannot for some reson, detach from society and live their own lives...and if they try to, they are denounced, or worse, murdered for doing so....but leaders are necessary, and leaders become rich being thus...they become rich with power, it give them their jobs....it pays well...and if the implications of the Code were true, can you imagine, for a moment, people would probably go nuts. Why, b/c they need religion to tell them how to live t heir lives...they need something to believe in to tell them that there is something after death...they need something to prove their origin...their existence...man cannot just say, I believe in something much more powerful then I am...man, has always made up fictional spiritualism to explain to their deepest question, of what else is there.

Religions, each and everyone, has their own man made rules....ones that I don't agree with...and it is fear, that has also been instilled in religion to deveate from the words of the Bible....and yet, God has given us brains...and we only are capable of using 1/3 of our brains....why? B/c we have been stagnated by fears....it was man who invented Jesus...was he the son of man? Who knows, he could have been, but man created him with stories, which I am certain are not all true. Man also killed him, calling him a nut? Whose story is correct? Maybe a little of both?

But Christians are always so afraid of going futher....I believe there is most certainly a God...our God....but...he is of the likes that no one else has ever described...

God gives us the gift of life...the gift of free will, and that's it. Does he intervien? We know that the power of the mind can accomplish many things....the positive side of the brain, can even heal...is it God? I do know this...for many years....I heard over and over again...pray and God will fix everything....God gave me choices...I screwed those choices up...the only person who could fix them was me...with perhaps God's guidence, which I think is the positive side of man...we can fight the negative and do what is best for everyone concerned, and not ourselves. That to me, is a leader, a person of God. It's not how many times you go to church, or how you dress to go to church, or how many hail Mary's you receite, if you keep going out and committing the same sin, over and over again.

My ex husband's wife, beat my son, broke him down mentally...I took it to court, to keep him out of harms way...his father, because he adopted her 3 children, had an awful lot to loose, although they did almost break up over this....he stayed, he choose his money over his son....and they go to church every stinkin week. To this very day, every time I see that woman...she constantly trys to make me feel like I'm no good, like she is my son's mother, and my grand-daughter's grand-mother, although she has 4 of her own grand children, she can't let it alone...she is constantly trying to stick the knife in and turn it. This woman has done nothing but lie and cause an awful lot of pain in so many other lives...her own son once said, I don't know why my mom treats David like that? Thank God I won and the courts awarded me custody of my child...but the damage was already done.

In lieu of this, my son has married a woman, just like his step mother...and they go to church every week...

I have seen so many people, being highly involved in the church, literally believe that b/c they go to church every week, they were better then others...and continually echo the words....I am saved????? No one knows if one is saved until the day they stand in front of their maker...then, and only then, will they know.

So, I'm inclined to believe, with open mind, that the Di Vinci Code is very possible, b/c it give me, personally, hope, that maybe, just maybe, the seed of Jesus might be walking the earth today. And how is that anymore preposterous they your belief...????? It isn't, simply put...it's how we were brainwashed to believe. We are brainwashed, conditioned by our parents, and their parents before them, and their before them...and if we had been born in Iraq....we would have been conditioned and brainwased to believe their religion...

When you look back thru history and see the tremondous power that priests have always had over people...I mean, just look at the pope today...people idolize him??? Why???? He is only a human being...nothing more, nothing less. And when we are all naked, we are all the same, and I mean, naked metophorically...

Yet, milliions of people, even the President take stake in his words? WHY? He is only human????? It doesn't make any sense to me, and to me, is rather crazy? He is a man....just like Jesus was...yet, did he really walk on water? Did he really heal the insane...did he really heal the blind? People are people, and when you look back, have we really progressed that much...yes and no....

But this I do know,,,woman was made also, in the image of God....and woman was not created to be raped...to be made a slave to her husband or any man, or inferior to anyone because she is a woman...she is no better then man, but she is also not less of a person b/c she is a woman...and yet, way back then...she was burned at the stake for having an opinion and called a witch....and that was religion?

No God would have ever done that or wished it or created woman for that reason.

I don't believe even today, the men who claim to be of the cloth...and yet, in one instance, one religion, men, raped little children, and that religion still flourishes today? Why? How can anyone of that religion walk into a Catholic Church is beyond me. Who gives one MAN the right to say, recite 10 hail Mary's and your sin's are forgiven...sheesh? Who gives a church the right to say, you are not divorced, unless you pay the church a certain amount of money and obtain a divorce paper through the church, and until you do that, you cannot be your best friend's God Father? Sheesh?

I'm sorry, I mean no offense, but I have been offended for years, by all this Gargage. When my husband was running around on me, I went to Church and they said, all men run around????????

When my son's step mother was beating him....I went to their Church, no one said to her....Bonnie, this is absolutely Unacceptable behavior....you are wrong and you need help, not even her husband. And yet, today, she trys to inflict abuse...and hurt others...and no one says to her...your wrong and a bad person to do that....everyone just accepts her and ignores it....and yet, these people go to church faithfully every single week, and so does my daughter in law, and yet, she orchastrated some soap opera tragedy that I caused all the problems between her and me...and ya know something, my son, goes to church every week, he is a police officer...and knows me better then anyone, and yet, he chooses to believe that I am the instigater of all of this...yet, when he was little, I'd have walked thru fire to protect him...

This to me, is not being true to faith or true to anyone but the material....

So, yes, I'd much rather believe in the goodness of a devine intimacy between the son of man and a woman...a common everyday woman...who are true to their faith, so much so, they choose to keep it a secret, lest be killed by society...and today, maybe, just maybe their seed is walking this earth and will be the beginning of the end....

There is no one who can say who is right and who is wrong...and no one who is better for it, b/c they attend church every week....but I will tell you this, I was raped and beaten as a child...our town was a small town...no one would believe me, or wanted to believe me...no one did anything to help me, yet, they all knew it was going on...our town was one of heavy religion...everyone went to church, and sometimes on Wednesdays' as well....I tried to believe, I studies through out my lifetime all kinds of different religions....and yet, it just didn't add up for me...

I remember as a child, walking into some very rich and prominate Catholic Churches, and what really bothered me was, why all the statues of Mary, back then...more so then Jesus? Didn't make sense to me....but now it does....it speaks volumns....

Last edited by cremebrulee; 09-09-2007 at 07:58 AM..

Old 09-13-2007, 09:16 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times
The book was a novel and I was able to separate fact from fiction and enjoy a good readMy husband is a fundamental religious type and we argued over it. He kept bringing me all those pamphlets about the inaccuracies and about what a sinner Brown is.He never read the book, so I asked him why was he so upset over it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books