Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 07:58 AM

396 posts, read 464,889 times

Advertisements

im sorry i bad write english....but i read all book dan brown and i think is fantastik! but i katholic and i dont belive in lie about Jesoos but he's book vey interesting....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 02:53 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,902,704 times
I liked it. I thought it was a lot of fun but not particularly believable in nearly all respects. The questions about Opus Dei, however, are legitimate. They and the Legionaries bear watching.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:51 AM

396 posts, read 464,889 times
yeah I think that is very funy but no practising katholic maybe belive it and this is awful.The Opus Dei is supposedly legitimate but I dont understand them horrible practising

Old 07-11-2007, 02:54 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,393,679 times
There were of course factual inaccuracies in the book, but regardless, it was an incredibly well-written, original and fascinating book. I've heard his first, "Angels and Demons" is even better but I have yet to read that.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:17 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
There were of course factual inaccuracies in the book, but regardless, it was an incredibly well-written, original and fascinating book. I've heard his first, "Angels and Demons" is even better but I have yet to read that.
What were the inaccuracies? Would you mind explaining?

Old 07-12-2007, 12:52 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,393,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
What were the inaccuracies? Would you mind explaining?
Here ya go:

Criticisms of The Da Vinci Code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-12-2007, 01:26 PM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kate angels View Post
im sorry i bad write english....but i read all book dan brown and i think is fantastik! but i katholic and i dont belive in lie about Jesoos but he's book vey interesting....
I thought the book was stupid and the movie was stupider.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:09 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post

[SIZE=3]I believe in God and am very strong in faith. When I was going to cat class, I raised my hand, and asked the minister why Jesus never married…I said, “If God gave us the gift of physical intimacy, I don’t understand, that he wouldn’t bestow that same sacred gift upon his son, especially since, Jesus was said to be the son of man in human form”. Well, I was given the old raised eyebrow and motioned to sit down immediately. I can't imagine to this day, why that thought disgusts people or they fear it...it's perfectly natural to behold...the perfect union, God made woman for man...to be companion to him[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Also, I have never believed that God created woman to be a slave, raped, beaten, literally torn apart and condemned to death b/c she had an opinion or was outspoken in her beliefs…and yet, if you look back through early history, women, in the Jewish faith were not even allowed to read to Koran? Why the heck not? Any man would understand, true faith is that you don’t burn people at the stake because they were women who had a great deal to say. Men feared women….and they killed thousands of women…even today, women are still fighting for equal rights, here as well as in other 3rd world culture. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]If you look at every single culture since the world began, women walked behind men and were allowed very little to say. God would not have wanted this…he created man, gave man life…not to separate men and women, but to bond them together. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]So that right there raises a huge flag.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Not to mention, if there were, any truth to this, and I believe there is more truth then not…this would certainly cause a great big problem among religious leaders.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Man is by nature led by greed and power…and I believe in the beginning, man needed a set of rules to guide them…that is why the Bible was created. If you look back in history, there was a time only religious leaders could read the Bible…why? And how do we REALLY know, when they finally granted us the right to read the Bible, it was not changed, or made up? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]I trust no man, to run this country without getting themselves into corrupt behavior, and I’m certainly not going to trust the same men to write a Book about God without one thing in mind…power and riches.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]You can take any subject and debate it till the cows come home, and in every debating issue, you can find reasons to find it correct or reasons to find it incorrect.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]I believe God to be a very loving, loyal God…but when he gave us life, he gave us free will…to decide with our minds, and that inner voice that we surely don’t listen to enough. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]I myself would love to believe, that yes indeed Jesus married, and his decedents are walking the earth right now. It is very possible. People actually fear believing something other then what they’ve been conditioned to believe all their lives (nothing more then stories passed down by man)…[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Man craves divine intervention…something that is going to save them from eternal suffering….man also has a very strong need to believe there is something beyond death...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]People fear thinking for themselves, or making a decision like leaving their abusive mates…and men to this day are highly intimidated by a strong and intellectual woman…Why in the world, would Christians, tell a woman to stay with a man who is abusing her? And not tell her, that her husband was running around...My goodness, does anyone see the irony, and disloyalty in this? So no matter what, you should stay with a mate that is abusing you? I think not![/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Oh, and now that I've gotten a divorse, I've got to also pay money to the church and have them give me a divorce, otherwise I can no longer participate in Church santities..? And if I don't receive a divorce from the church, then I can't be a godmother to my best friend's child???? I think not? I must confess my sins, to a man/priest no less, otherwise I cannot partake of communion? What kind of God would say that? And last but not least, all the priests who have sexually abused children, ruined their lives...took away their innocence, took advantage of their complete trust, and the church allowed this to happen? For years and years...???? What kind of God would approve of that. It just goes to show you that man, no matter how powerful he thinks he is, will resort to lust, be it sex, power or greed.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]The Di Vinci Code makes much more sense to me, then any other time in my life, and I have studied many different religions…they are all man made…with man made rules, some of which make not one iota of sense.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]I think religion has stagnated the use of our minds…intellectually, we should be much further along and yet, we're very primitive in our thinking...when you take a look at what we call modern civilization…how are we any different from the time of the Romans, or the time of any war that man fought out of greed & lust for land, money, religion, power? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]We haven’t really progressed mentally, but regressed and have gotten even more lazy. We fear thinking for ourselves…we fear coloring outside the lines…stepping out side of conditioning and doing what is right, instead we repeat what our parents taught us, and their parents…we are clones of them, actually, creating our very own virtual reality. Living in our own little worlds, which are akin to protective plastic bubbles, and anything outside the realm of that, we fear so much so, that it drives us to hate, and from belief to actually killing others who disagree and we justify it with religion? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]I’d like to thank you for leaving the link, and I’ve read through it…but I believe there is much more truth in it then most people want to know about.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Also, one more thing...any writer knows when you write a book, you refrence other books…Dan Brown was no exception, he refrenced many books in the novel, just as any writer does. Apparently those two fellas, who wrote Holy Blood, Holy Grail, were a little dumbfounded when Dan Brown came out with a best seller and their book was collecting dust in the back of bookstores. And so they decided to claim plagiarism. If their claims would have won…it would have changed the book industry forever…and you would have no longer been able to reference books, why? Because anyone who wrote a history book, or wrote anything about anything could have been sued. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]I don’t thing The Da Vinci Code was stupid at all…for me, it makes more sense then not.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Woman are human beings…and in all cultures women were and still are treated brutally. [/SIZE][SIZE=3]That to me, isn’t of God.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]You can quote the Bible forever, and at one time I did, at one time I was very active in the Church, a Sunday School Teacher, youth group advisor...but for me, it doesn't make sense...Christianity is as political as any other group in the world...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]These are just a few thoughts of mine...I certainly don't believe they're all written in stone, but what I do believe is that God is way more then we've ever imagined or read about in any book. And are we in for a big surprise. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Just my thoughts[/SIZE] Thanks so much for taking the time to read...
so I loved the Da Vinci Code

Old 07-14-2007, 09:35 PM

103 posts, read 392,107 times
When I read the book the first time.I was deeply moved by the content.You don't want to give it up,all you do just look it continuely.I look it till midnight.Then I thought a lot.Yes,it is an excellent.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:56 PM

45 posts, read 141,899 times
I thought the historical content in the book was interesting, but I didn't like the story itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books