U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 02:55 PM

12,200 posts, read 11,071,125 times

Advertisements

I always hope people will give books as presents.

I recently gave someone Paul Auster.

I saw Amanda Hesser has a new New York Times cookbook out which I might give to someone.

I gave Ann Jones' War Is Not Over When It's Over to a friend who's interested in photography.

I always recommend Persepolis for teenage girls, and I see that Marjane Satrapi has a new book out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 03:46 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,976,427 times
"Persopolis" is a great choice.
Some years ago I presented friends at Christmas with an appropriate book:
"The Anti-Christ" by Friedrich Nietzsche. I recommend that book to anyone at any time of year.

Old 11-24-2010, 04:39 PM

14,787 posts, read 20,948,053 times
Since I usually dont know what my friends are currently reading or what genre I should say I usally pass out book store gift cards and believe me that is just well appreciated instead of something I would buy them . and if any of my family is reading this wink wink bookstore gift card .

Old 11-24-2010, 05:08 PM

7,032 posts, read 7,824,309 times
Amazon.com: The Bed of Procrustes: Philosophical and Practical Aphorisms (9781400069972): Nassim Nicholas Taleb: Books

Everyone should read all of his books.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:42 PM

3,131 posts, read 10,872,156 times
the only person I buy books for is my mom! I think purchasing a book for someone is really a difficult thing unless you know them well. good luck. If they aren't really close friends, I would go with the gift card.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:03 AM

324 posts, read 296,408 times
I agree about it being a difficult match and I guess unless a specific book has come up in conversation - how do you know they haven't read it? ( I am asking sincerely- not to be snarky). So I have given gift cards to B&N for example.
I guess if its a relatively new book it is probably a safe bet to give it.
I was saying that since CSI type shows are so popular across the masses, The Murder Room by Michael Cappuzzi which is fairly new (came out this summer) would be a good easy gift.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:30 PM

2,756 posts, read 5,653,756 times
"Skipping Christmas" by John Grisham.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:38 PM

14,789 posts, read 15,064,808 times
My family do K.K so I have made it clear I want the Keith Richards book.

That will be my Summer reading...

Old 11-26-2010, 03:06 PM

12,200 posts, read 11,071,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Since I usually dont know what my friends are currently reading or what genre I should say I usally pass out book store gift cards and believe me that is just well appreciated instead of something I would buy them . and if any of my family is reading this wink wink bookstore gift card .
Interesting. It would never occur to me to ask what someone is currently reading before buying a book for them. I'd either choose something so great that I want to share it, or something I've read a review of that would seem to be right up their alley.

I think that book cards are appreciated, but for me the point is to introduce someone to a book they wouldn't buy for themselves.

Old 11-26-2010, 04:41 PM

13,510 posts, read 15,695,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
the only person I buy books for is my mom! I think purchasing a book for someone is really a difficult thing unless you know them well. good luck. If they aren't really close friends, I would go with the gift card.
Unless someone has mentioned a specific book, I always go for a gift card.

When I was young I used to make up a list of books before Christmas, and tell my family and relatives to buy me books from it...or else don't buy me a book.

I had a friend who used to insist that I would looooooooove the books she looooooooooooooooooooved, and then inflicted them on me as gifts. I was clear that I had no interest in them at all, but that didn't stand in her way. Finally to bring this to an end I told her to give them directly to the thrift shop because that was exactly what I did with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books