U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 06:56 PM

442 posts, read 1,986,373 times

Advertisements

As a little child I loved the Curious George books... especially Curious George Goes to the Hospital. I also loved the A. A. Milne Winnie the Pooh books.

As a pre-teen I loved the Little House on the Prairie books by Laura Ingalls Wilder. I read the entire series over, and over, and over. I also loved a book entitled Caddie Woodlawn.

As a teenager I ready mostly biographies and history books.

Today I read all over the place and have even read a Danielle Steel book or two. Books are wonderful!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 08:30 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,472,614 times
When I was a kid it was "Are you there god, it's me Margaret"

Nowadays -For One More Day by Mitch Albom

Old 07-23-2007, 07:41 AM

34,406 posts, read 63,641,353 times
How many kazilion times I've read The Grapes of Wrath, and I find something new in it every time.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:51 AM

68,546 posts, read 16,854,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
How many kazilion times I've read The Grapes of Wrath, and I find something new in it every time.
Oh! I love that story,I forgot about it I need to get a copy,it's been so long since I read it,Thanks

Old 08-04-2007, 07:53 PM

68,546 posts, read 16,854,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismpat View Post
A book I first read in junior high school, Farewell to Manzanar by Jeanne Wakatsuki Houston and James D. Houston. What got me interested in reading the book was that my best friend at the time was a Japanese-American, and I was interested in learning about the internment camps during World War II. I understand this book is still popular for high school and college students, all these years later!

I saw the movie on TV when it came out in the mid-70s. Not as good as the book, but still quite touching (could be a tearjerker in certain parts).
I have a friend that had that book,I borrowed it,read it,loved it!

Old 08-04-2007, 08:21 PM

5,781 posts, read 12,713,308 times
Two of my fastest reads ever were Jim Carroll's Basketball Diaries and Forced Entries. Makes me wish he'd written a few more.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:38 PM

5 posts, read 8,650 times
When i was little i loved the lion the witch and the wardrobe. When i was a teenager i liked It by stephen king, and i had to read alas babylon in the 10th grade, and i loved it. Now i have read all 6 Outlander books by diana gabaldon and i loooove them. I have reread them several times. She is an amazing storyteller. I love them for how real the characters are, the historical part is very interesting as well. I just love tehm, and i hope she continues the story.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:47 PM

5 posts, read 8,650 times
Thumbs up time travelers wife

[quote=mrsgenealogy;1065376]Thanks for the tip, cil! I checked out The Time Traveler's Wife at amazon.com and it has a very high rating. Here's a link for anyone else that's interested:
Amazon.com: The Time Traveler's Wife: Books: Audrey Niffenegger (http://tinyurl.com/2mgmq2 - broken link)

I went ahead and had it put on hold in my library as well as the audio version, since I'm not sure how much time I've got for reading another book right now. I just started another book and am about to get busier so the audio may wind up being the best choice.

Anyway, I just had to tell you that I did it so you'd know that your post had an affect on someone.

Gnite!
msrg quote

I had read the time travelers wife and just wanted to let you know that it is a very good read. I couldn't put it down! Its a neat story. I hope you enjoy it. I would also suggest the outlander by diana gabaldon. Its a series of 6 books so far and it is an amazing line of books.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:37 PM

40,289 posts, read 49,806,394 times
I absolutely loved The Clan of the Cavebear series, by Jean Auel. Make sure you get them in order and you can have a whole summer full of good reading.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:47 PM

159 posts, read 330,570 times
Default Dean Koontz's "Watchers"

"Watchers" by Dean Koontz.

This story has such an emotional component I just get sucked in every time I read it. Once I get started I can't put it down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or