U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 09:21 AM

41,947 posts, read 26,102,886 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here read The Bone People by Keri Hulme? She is a New Zealand writer, the book won some awards, and it's my all-time favorite book. It's written from multiple viewpoints, and there are some parts that are absolutely harrowing, but I think ultimately it's a book about forgiveness, not just of others but of ourselves.

I also keep Set This House on Fire by Styron close to hand, and every summer I have a ritual of re-reading the Travis McGee books by John D MacDonald.

DC
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 08:09 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,887,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Has anyone here read The Bone People by Keri Hulme? She is a New Zealand writer, the book won some awards, and it's my all-time favorite book. It's written from multiple viewpoints, and there are some parts that are absolutely harrowing, but I think ultimately it's a book about forgiveness, not just of others but of ourselves.

I also keep Set This House on Fire by Styron close to hand, and every summer I have a ritual of re-reading the Travis McGee books by John D MacDonald.

DC

DC!!! Wow - I am the HUGEST fan John MacDonald ever had! I think I own everything he ever wrote due to a binge on ebay! I could read them a million times and never tire of them, although I've decided I would NEVER want to be Travis' girlfriend...

As far as my all time favorite? Someone probably mentioned this, I'm 6 pages late to the game, but The Five People You Meet in Heaven. I'm not particularly religious, but knowing that we never know what effect our life has on others was pretty intriguing stuff.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:27 AM

41,947 posts, read 26,102,886 times
Sam,

I don't think I'd want to be anyone's girlfriend in the Travis McGee books---disaster!
But I wouldn't mind going to a party on the Busted Flush.

DC

Old 09-28-2007, 11:48 PM

68,534 posts, read 16,852,851 times
I still love Sydney Sheldon novels,it's was my favorite

Old 09-30-2007, 05:34 PM

10,194 posts, read 25,445,743 times
Not my favourite book, but I clearly remember getting reprimanded for reading too much, too late at night when I was an adolescent so I crawled into the bathtub, no water please, and read Exodus when my flashlight trick went uncovered!

I couldn't put it down!

Old 10-02-2007, 09:05 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,007,366 times
Lightbulb A Wrinkle in Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
My 11 yr old son loves that book,and I just got him the movie on netflix,,wondered if you thought they did it justice?
Hi Nanannie,

I have never seen the movie version of "A Wrinkle in TIme". As a rule I dislike it when they make a book a movie. Very few of them come out to be as good as the book and very, very rarely are they better.

I've noticed to that hollywood seems to be running out of ideas for kids movie since they are reviving many of the classic kids books.

Did your son like the movie?
La

Old 10-06-2007, 12:08 AM

3,905 posts, read 6,455,102 times
When I was a kid I read just about all the Frog and Toad books. The book that really got me when I was a teenager was A Book by Desi Arnaz. So many people are unaware of his contribution to I Love Lucy. That was my favorite for quite a few years.

The Godfather by Mario Puzo was another book I could not put down for a few years when I was in my 20s.

Utopia by Thomas More, and The Prince by Machiavelli are my two favorites of the Renaissance era. The two kind of compliment each other.

For the last 5 years though the book for me has been The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer. Its an awesome book about a young German soldier fighting in the Eastern Fron during World War II. Very well written and very intense, the book literly puts you there on the Eastern front alongside the Germans as you try to survive each and everyday and hope to return to the Fatherland.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:12 AM

2,355 posts, read 2,036,195 times
I would have to say Pride and Prejudice by Austen. I read the book as a teenager and though I enjoyed it I can't say that I really loved it. However, when I grew up and watched the BBC version with Colin Firth, I immediately went out, bought it again, re-read it, and just fell in love with Mr. Darcy. Now I read all kinds of modern day P&P books.

I re-read Nora Roberts books, HP books; most of the books in my library I re-read at one time or another. I usually will sift through my books to determine what's going to Goodwill or not and the ones that stay are the ones I will re-read over and over again. It's the best thing about reading. To escape.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:16 PM
LML

7,110 posts, read 8,385,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeleenieWeenie View Post
"A Wrinkle In Time" by Madeleine L'Engle: when I was a sixth-grader; GOT ME HOOKED ON BOOKS, taking me to another world!!! I
I smiled reading this because that is exactly the same book that got my youngest daughter "hooked" on reading when she was that age.

When I was very little it was the Sugar Creek Gang books. A little older and it was the Cherry Ames books. Then came Agatha Christie and Jane Austin. Now days I still love mysteries and there are a few writers of mysteries that can still pull be into another world. And then there are magical books like "Water for Elephants" that take me over from page one until I sadly close the final page.

Last edited by LML; 10-16-2007 at 05:28 PM..

Old 10-17-2007, 01:43 AM

10,341 posts, read 23,042,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
How many kazilion times I've read The Grapes of Wrath, and I find something new in it every time.
That was one of my favorite too.
Along with the entire Nancy Drew series of books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or