U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 01:46 AM

10,344 posts, read 23,055,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesacat View Post
Hmm..well...Chronologically the books that are my all time favs are:

Green eggs and ham! Probably the best book ever written!! lol
The Sherlock Holmes series
Anything and everything by Poe
The Stand...and anything by King
How could i forget..my all time fav books as a kid were all the Dr.Seuse books. Especially "green eggs and ham". lol

I actually had alot of fav books as a kid and growing up. Its hard remembering them all.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 07:58 PM

82 posts, read 71,559 times
The Brothers Karamazov - Fyodor Dostoyevsky,
Still Life With Woodpecker - Tom Robbins,
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest - Ken Kesey,
World According to Garp / Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving,
The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde,
Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl - Harriet Jacobs (AMAZING),
Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee - Dee Brown,
The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven - Sherman Alexie...

Man, there are way too many good books. I don't own a television, so I read all the time.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:59 PM

30 posts, read 115,340 times
I just read "Tuesdays with Morrie" it was wonderful, now reading "Skinny *****" and have never laughed so much while being informed about food (except the chapters on animal abuse, that made me cry)

Old 10-24-2007, 02:15 PM

30 posts, read 115,340 times
Hi all, I owe an apology, thought I was on the "what book are you reading now" thread, not "what book do you love and can't put down" although I did love "Tuesdays with Morrie"

Old 10-25-2007, 08:29 AM

1,908 posts, read 7,165,031 times
My reading history has contained many addictions I tend to like series of books. I think it really started for me in 4th grade or so when I read all of Laura Ingalls wilder books. Then I moved on To The Chronicles of Narnia series. from there I went to Anne if Green Gables etc. I got hooked on Mark Twain and read all his. My pattern has stayed with me way into adult hood and usually I will read a book and if I like it persue that author and read everything they have done. Most recently I have become most addicted to the OUTLANDER series by Diana Gabaldon. I just love it. I am on book 5. I was happy to read that she is currently writing book 7 so I have at least 3 more books I can read in this series before moving onto a continuation of one of her characters John Gray and read those books of which there are 3 thus far. They are wonderful books!

Old 10-25-2007, 04:33 PM

295 posts, read 777,049 times
What book do you absolutely love forever and can't put it down?

It would be Ivan S. Turgenev's A Sportsman's Sketches (a short stories collection) in my case. Read it over and over again.

A calm and awsome and sensible and deep and simple and warm and intimidating and everything master piece.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:05 PM

30 posts, read 122,398 times
i tend to love books in a series. best was clan of the cave bears by jean auel.
there are certain authors i like and read everything they write.
debbie macomber-romance
luanne rice- fiction
corey mitchell- true crime.
scott peck-pop psych
dr phil- pop psych
:

Old 10-26-2007, 06:54 PM

417 posts, read 1,024,640 times
I've read a book by Robert Crichton called The Camerons at least 30 times from cover to cover - can't get enough of it. I can't find any other books by this author - anyone know of any?
Have also read The Walking Drum by Louis L'Amour many, many times.
Naturally, Lord of the Rings - I've practically memorized the trilogy.

I also read anything & everything by
Sue Grafton
Nevada Barr
John Sandford

I'd love to hear recommendations for other authors with the same writing style as these three.

Old 10-28-2007, 02:22 AM

133 posts, read 505,313 times
I lost count of how many times I've read Wuthering Heights two years ago. I first read it in the eighth grade (I didn't get much of it back then, mind), but ever since then it seems that I've been constantly re-reading it. After finishing it, no matter how much I promise myself that it will be the last read for a long time, I'll find it in my hands less than a month later.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:15 PM

2,967 posts, read 1,904,240 times
Exodus by Leon Uris
Rebecca-Daphne du Marier
A Separate Peace-Knowles
The Finishing School-Gail Godwin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or