Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 07:23 PM

38,865 posts, read 22,849,388 times

Advertisements

A book I first read in junior high school, Farewell to Manzanar by Jeanne Wakatsuki Houston and James D. Houston. What got me interested in reading the book was that my best friend at the time was a Japanese-American, and I was interested in learning about the internment camps during World War II. I understand this book is still popular for high school and college students, all these years later!

I saw the movie on TV when it came out in the mid-70s. Not as good as the book, but still quite touching (could be a tearjerker in certain parts).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 07:31 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,295,611 times
I watched a series on PBS called The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady...I loved the story immediately.

This woman had made wonderful drawings of things she found in nature for each and every month, she made up this unusual Font that was used in the PBS series.

I had looked but the book was out of print....so when I found myself in England, I went in to every place I could think of hoping to find an old copy. It jumped out at me because that unusual Font she had made up was on the spine of the book. It is my treasure.

If my house was burning down and I could save only one of my many books (I have hundreds), it would be this book. Years later, I found the book was being printed again here in the US due to the popularity of the PBS series so I purchased one for a like minded friend and my Mother. To hold this book and leaf through its pages is to walk the forests and fields of England...it transports me.

I am thinking that since I now have two of the books, I might take the newer one apart and frame up the gorgeous pictures she drew and hang them here in my office which is supposed to be inspired by English design.

Old 07-16-2007, 05:49 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,667,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KidsforMe View Post
Dedalus-interesting take on "Women In Love". Sounds like you are really on to something. I'm sorry you couldn't get your thread started rearding that. I'm going to think about that a little more...
It's nice of you to say that.

Thing is, Lawrence is considered a "white" author. Also, when he went travelling once to Asia, he got annoyed and let out this really foul stream of biliousness, liberally salted with that Word That Starts With N. It may have just been in his journal, but it's published for all to see, now.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:15 AM

65 posts, read 240,797 times
When I was real little the book I always read (even though I couldn't read) was a thick book called Mother Goose Nursery Rhymes. Still have it put away. My favorite one was "Rub A Dub Dub Three Men In A Tub".

Old 07-16-2007, 10:25 AM

72,409 posts, read 18,196,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy414 View Post
When I was real little the book I always read (even though I couldn't read) was a thick book called Mother Goose Nursery Rhymes. Still have it put away. My favorite one was "Rub A Dub Dub Three Men In A Tub".
I had that book too! and that was my favorite too

Old 07-16-2007, 08:23 PM

7 posts, read 27,385 times
ANYTHING by Francesca Lia Block... especially Wasteland, and Echo.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:49 PM

Another book I used to read was The Catcher in the Rye, I read and read it over and over,that was when I was a teen

Old 07-20-2007, 06:13 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,210,338 times
I absolutely love the "Outlander" series by Diana Gabaldon. Its about a women from the 1940's goes through a circle of stones in Scotland and ends up in the 1700's in time for the Scottish Rising. Whenever I start the series I get sucked into the story and can't stop until I've reread the entire series. I've read them over and over.

Old 07-20-2007, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
I absolutely love the "Outlander" series by Diana Gabaldon. Its about a women from the 1940's goes through a circle of stones in Scotland and ends up in the 1700's in time for the Scottish Rising. Whenever I start the series I get sucked into the story and can't stop until I've reread the entire series. I've read them over and over.
How very interesting! Love stories like that,might go get a copy.

Old 07-20-2007, 06:49 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,647,632 times
'The Lost Continent' by Bill Bryson is one of my all-time favourites, I've read it five times!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books