Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 01:24 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,928,809 times

Advertisements

I know what you mean about getting stuck and nothing sounding good. It is sort of like when I am hungry, tummy growling kind of hungry - yet nothing sounds good to eat. I hate that...

My cure for getting stuck like this is short stories. I love them. If you aren't that familiar with the short story genre, Alice Munroe is a great author to get you hooked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 08:19 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
What did you think of them? I think that I'm afraid to pick up a book now, unless it gets rave reviews from at least some of you.
Well, I'd say go back and try Cholera again, but I don't think that's what you wanted to hear.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:48 AM

7,304 posts, read 9,311,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Well, I'd say go back and try Cholera again, but I don't think that's what you wanted to hear.
That's what I was thinking too. I know this thread isn't about that, but I found Love in the Time of Cholera exhilarating, inspiring and just - just - incredible in terms of the quality of writing. I wanted to get up and dance for the sheer joy of his use of language. I pointed out to my husband that there wasn't a page I read where I didn't have to stop and read some perfect line aloud to him. I couldn't help myself.

I hate to use the terms "best book I ever read" because I feel there is going to be some great book I forgot about that was equally great, so I'll limit myself to saying again how I just loved Cholera. I read it when it was first published and one of these days I will reread it just to see if it is really as great as I thought it was.

I can't think of any writer other than e.e. cummings with that same verbal impact.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:01 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,011,510 times
I'm back, baby, I'm back! (Seinfeld vitamin B-12 reference, for those that just think I'm acting weird.)

I can read again. All is good with the world. I'm just finishing The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (I would have finished it, easily, last night... had the electricity not gone out AFTER the storm was over. )

Then I have a huge pile of books that recently arrived, so I'll choose from those. The Group and Love in the Time of Cholera will remain in the "to read" pile, just lower down -- I need to give myself time after the first try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books