Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 11:40 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times

Advertisements

So, I was wondering what you have on your "to read" list.

I thought it might be fun to share our current "to read" lists (although, of course, it's always changing!) to give each other ideas of some books that are out there.

Here's mine:Also the last four (of the series of five) Ripley books by Patricia Highsmith, Jane Eyre, and Wuthering Heights.

Hmmmm. It's time to stop working, stop sleeping, and just READ!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 01:47 PM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
I just went through a bunch of the "Best of the Year" book lists and made my list even longer. Henrietta Lacks is on my list, along with:

The Unnamed (Joshua Ferris)
Juliet, Naked (Nick Hornby)
Wait for Me! (Deborah Devonshire)
Freedom (Jonathan Franzen)
At Home (Bill Bryson)
The Cookbook Collector (Allegra Goodman)

Old 12-21-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I just went through a bunch of the "Best of the Year" book lists and made my list even longer. Henrietta Lacks is on my list, along with:

The Unnamed (Joshua Ferris)
Juliet, Naked (Nick Hornby)
Wait for Me! (Deborah Devonshire)
Freedom (Jonathan Franzen)
At Home (Bill Bryson)
The Cookbook Collector (Allegra Goodman)
And YOU made MY list even longer!

I'm adding "Wait for Me!" to my order list. Thanks!

Old 12-21-2010, 04:36 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,371,184 times
I love to read people's book lists! I was just asking a friend the other day about her book list. I have a few lists. This is the only one I can find at the moment. Keep them coming please. We can get some good reading material from other people's lists.

I haven't read a "whodunit" book in ages. I had sworn off them because they are so much alike, much like love stories. I would love to read one where I can't figure out who did it. So, I doubt that I will read this first book, unless someone has read it, and recommends it.

The Distant Echo (Val McDermid) Amazon.com: The Distant Echo (9780312994839): Val McDermid: Books
The Absence of Nectar (Kathy Hepinstall) Amazon.com: The Absence of Nectar (9781587241574): Kathy Hepinstall: Books
She Flew the Coop (Michael Lee West) Amazon.com: She Flew the Coop: A Novel Concerning Life, Death, Sex and Recipes in Limoges, Louisiana (9780060926205): Michael Lee West: Books
Up From Orchard Street ( Eleanor Windmer)
Housekeeping (Marilyne Robinson) Amazon.com: Housekeeping: A Novel (9780312424091): Marilynne Robinson: Books
The Virgin Suicides (Jeffery Eugenides) Amazon.com: Housekeeping: A Novel (9780312424091): Marilynne Robinson: Books
Her Last Death (Susanna ASonnenberg) Amazon.com: Her Last Death: A Memoir (9780743291095): Susanna Sonnenberg: Books
House Rules (Rachel Sontag) Amazon.com: House Rules: A Memoir (P.S.): Rachel Sontag: Books

I'll be back with more later!

Old 12-21-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
I love to read people's book lists! I was just asking a friend the other day about her book list. I have a few lists. This is the only one I can find at the moment. Keep them coming please. We can get some good reading material from other people's lists.

I haven't read a "whodunit" book in ages. I had sworn off them because they are so much alike, much like love stories. I would love to read one where I can't figure out who did it. So, I doubt that I will read this first book, unless someone has read it, and recommends it.

The Distant Echo (Val McDermid) Amazon.com: The Distant Echo (9780312994839): Val McDermid: Books
The Absence of Nectar (Kathy Hepinstall) Amazon.com: The Absence of Nectar (9781587241574): Kathy Hepinstall: Books
She Flew the Coop (Michael Lee West) Amazon.com: She Flew the Coop: A Novel Concerning Life, Death, Sex and Recipes in Limoges, Louisiana (9780060926205): Michael Lee West: Books
Up From Orchard Street ( Eleanor Windmer)
Housekeeping (Marilyne Robinson) Amazon.com: Housekeeping: A Novel (9780312424091): Marilynne Robinson: Books
The Virgin Suicides (Jeffery Eugenides) Amazon.com: Housekeeping: A Novel (9780312424091): Marilynne Robinson: Books
Her Last Death (Susanna ASonnenberg) Amazon.com: Her Last Death: A Memoir (9780743291095): Susanna Sonnenberg: Books
House Rules (Rachel Sontag) Amazon.com: House Rules: A Memoir (P.S.): Rachel Sontag: Books

I'll be back with more later!
YAY!!!!

By the way, I read the last two on your list. I *think* that Her Last Death was good -- but I don't really remember it. But I can tell you that House Rules is CRAZY!!!!! You won't even believe the emotional abuse that went on in that house.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:38 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,800,934 times
Oh, I wish I could post my list. It contains over 700 books. I keep them organized in a spread sheet and add books from folks' recommendations, from school reading lists (high schools), and from the bibliographies of other books. I don't think I'll ever finish reading all the books on my ever-growing list.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
Oh, I wish I could post my list. It contains over 700 books. I keep them organized in a spread sheet and add books from folks' recommendations, from school reading lists (high schools), and from the bibliographies of other books. I don't think I'll ever finish reading all the books on my ever-growing list.
Oh. My. God!!!!

Over 700 books? On a spreadsheet? I think I love you!

Old 12-21-2010, 05:55 PM

hahahaha! Yeah, at the moment I'm sitting on 737 books in an Excel sheet. It's even divided into categories: "library", "children's" and "banned". It's ridiculous, I know. It didn't start with 700 books, of course. It's just grown exponentially! I added some more today even. I'm a bibliophile. What can I say? I don't even have a systematic approach to it. Every week I say, "Hmmm, what am I in the mood for this week?"

This week I'm reading So Many Books, So Little Time by Sara Nelson, and in the wings is Why We Believe What We Believe by Andrew Newberg. Next week, who knows? I mostly read nonfiction and classics, but I'm trying to expand.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
hahahaha! Yeah, at the moment I'm sitting on 737 books in an Excel sheet. It's even divided into categories: "library", "children's" and "banned". It's ridiculous, I know. It didn't start with 700 books, of course. It's just grown exponentially! I added some more today even. I'm a bibliophile. What can I say? I don't even have a systematic approach to it. Every week I say, "Hmmm, what am I in the mood for this week?"

This week I'm reading So Many Books, So Little Time by Sara Nelson, and in the wings is Why We Believe What We Believe by Andrew Newberg. Next week, who knows? I mostly read nonfiction and classics, but I'm trying to expand.
Hey, I think it's great. As long as you don't feel pressured by it, then it's fabulous.

And how ironic is it that you're reading a book called "So Many Books, So Little Time"? LOL!!!

Old 12-21-2010, 06:18 PM

I know. I thought it might help me figure out a way to organize. Alas, it only added more books to the list!

I have some biographies on my reading list I can share:

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
-about an African American girl growing up in Arkansas and life beyond.

I Am Nujood, Age 10 & Divorced by Nujood Ali
-about a little girl growing up in Yemen, forced to marry young and the pain of her life that turned her into an activist.

Journey from the Land of No by Ru’ya Hakkakiyan
-about a girl growing up Jewish in Iran during the revolution.

Escape by Carolyn Jessop
-about escaping a polygamist family.

In the Name of Honor by Mukhtar Mai
-about a woman's brutal punishment by her village council in Pakistan and her struggle for justice/redemption.

Stolen Innocence by Elissa Wall
-again, about escaping a polygamist family.

American Goddess at the Rape of Nanking by Hua-ling Hu
-about Minnie Vautrin, the American woman who saved the lives and honor of thousands of Chinese during the Rape of Nanking.

Last Night I Dreamed of Peace by Thuy Tram Dang
-the diary of a young female doctor in Vietnam during the war. It was found and published well after her death (shot by American soldiers at the age of 27).

The Story of My Life by Helen Keller
-about Helen Keller. Never read this in school.

Obviously, these all focus on women. That wasn't a conscious decision on my part. I don't have any time line for reading them, but I do want to read them all. They all sound extraordinarily interesting to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books