Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 11:29 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,543,408 times

Advertisements

This is out of control!!!

As a black man, I'm so tired of this re-writing of history! It is what it is!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 11:36 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,266,919 times
It's ridiculous. Think of all the books, all the movies, all the music, that could end up at the bottom of this slippery slope.

Twain captured the essence of his time. As CitizenKane said above, it is what it is!

Old 01-06-2011, 01:05 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,864,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
New Edition Removes Mark Twain's 'Offensive' Words : NPR (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=132663590 - broken link)

somebody shoot me. Please!

20yrsinBranson
This is an example of just how ridiculous Political Correctness is.
It has been many years since I have read Huck Finn but when I first read it back in the late 1950's I saw the character, ****** Jim, as one of the heroes of the story. Wanna bet his name will be replaced by ****** in this post? I was in my pre teens when I read TOM SAWYER and HUCKLEBERY FINN. Those two books were huge influences in my views on racism later on. I grew up in a rural community in Eastern Colorado and our community was what we referred to as "Lily White". In order to see people of Color we would have to make the three hour trip to Denver. Any youngster who read Mark Twain's stories knew in their hearts that there was something wrong with racism. In my opinion editing Twain's works is about as serious as misquoting a Bible passage.

After all these years I can't remember all the details of the story but was ****** Jim really a runaway slave? The word ****** did not apply to just slaves.

GL2

Old 01-06-2011, 01:08 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,864,534 times
[quote=Gunluvver2;17287596]************************************************** *******
This is an example of just how ridiculous Political Correctness is.
It has been many years since I have read Huck Finn but when I first read it back in the late 1950's I saw the character, ****** Jim, as one of the heroes of the story. Wanna bet his name will be replaced by ****** in this post? I was in my pre teens when I read TOM SAWYER and HUCKLEBERY FINN. Those two books were huge influences in my views on racism later on. I grew up in a rural community in Eastern Colorado and our community was what we referred to as "Lily White". In order to see people of Color we would have to make the three hour trip to Denver. Any youngster who read Mark Twain's stories knew in their hearts that there was something wrong with racism. In my opinion editing Twain's works is about as serious as misquoting a Bible passage.

After all these years I can't remember all the details of the story but was ****** Jim really a runaway slave? The word ****** did not apply to just slaves.
I guess I was right about the political correctness issue.
GL2

Old 01-06-2011, 01:12 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,273,608 times
Dr. Laura got fired for saying the "N" word on air. Not calling someone or referring to someone as the "N" word, but referring to the word as just a word.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:38 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,546,706 times
Now that we have the "Conservatives" in power this will just be the first of many books that will be re-written.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:51 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
I voted for Obama and almost certainly will vote for him again. I am probably the definition of what Rush Limbaugh means when he uses the word "liberal". Even so, I'm appalled at this attempt to censor great literature.

I wonder how people would react if it was suggested we censor Shakespeare's play "The Merchant of Venice" because it contains antisemitic overtones? A Jewish moneylender named "Shylock" is the villain in this story.

Huckleberry Finn is a classic piece of literature. What is perhaps most ironic about those who would censor this book is that they know very little of Mark Twain. Twain made many contributions to literature. I wonder if those who fear the racial impact of the N word have ever read his essay called the "United States of Lyncherdom"? Twain was very much opposed to real racism which was going on at that time like lynching black men for imaginary offenses. For his time, Twain was a much more enlightened person than critics today could ever imagine.

Why can't we accept the notion that authors and the books they write simply reflect the prejudices and sentiments of the time? It is not Twain or Huckleberry Finn that was prejudiced. It was American culture in the late nineteenth century that was prejudiced.

Removing the N word from books isn't going to stop people from using it. Nor, will such acts stop bigotry and discrimination. What it will likely do instead is create some type of artificial "feel good" world where we imagine that if we don't see prejudice in the words around that it does not exist. This is nonsense and anyone with any reasoning capacity can see that it is wrong.

The people who want to censor this piece of classical literature are nuts.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:51 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,273,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Now that we have the "Conservatives" in power this will just be the first of many books that will be re-written.
I'd have to disagree with you on the political leanings of those wanting to do most of the censoring and rewriting...but perhaps that's another thread.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:59 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I couldn't disagree more either.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:13 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,113,541 times
Well, I am writing a novel, where one of the central characters is a racist. He uses the "N" word, because that is how the character refers to black people..in his bigoted arrogance. I will not change that to appease anyone, nor would I appreciate being censored for using it.

The fact of the matter is, Twain used those words because it was the sign of his times, just as it is a sign of our times for young black people to embrace and now refer to each other with that word, thus changing it's meaning for them. In Twain's time, black people were referred to with that and many other derrogatory words... in fact most races/cultures were referred to with one insulting word or another.

You can't censure history. You can change the words, but the history remains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books