U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 01:58 PM

25,627 posts, read 31,978,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Dr. Laura got fired for saying the "N" word on air. Not calling someone or referring to someone as the "N" word, but referring to the word as just a word.
Wrong she did not get fired. She moved to satellite radio because she has more freedom of speech than on the federally controlled airwaves. Look it up. I get your point though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 02:09 PM

8,862 posts, read 15,355,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Wrong she did not get fired. She moved to satellite radio because she has more freedom of speech than on the federally controlled airwaves. Look it up. I get your point though.
I just can't reconcile the idea that students capable of reading this particular book can't grasp that it depicts a particular time/place in history. There isn't much 'outrage' about the use of this word in the music that seems to be popular with many.

but this has all been said over and over again and will continue to be said

I am not a fan of Dr. Laura--but she had a point.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:11 PM

970 posts, read 1,929,910 times
I think it's ironic that the offensive word was replaced with "slave" considering Jim is trying to escape from slavery in the book!

Old 01-07-2011, 10:27 PM

4,525 posts, read 7,658,787 times
To any of you that like to pinch pennies like I do you can go to a website that has MOST of the classic books from the past two hundred years or more available for downloading FREE of Charge. It is Gutenburg.com if I remember correctly. If the URL is not right just do a Google for Gutenburg Free books. I have all of Mark Twain's works on my computer. I do not know if you can download to new devices like Kindles etc. I am still getting used to these dad gummed computers and I am about twenty years behind the curve.
GL2
**Readers Note: I checked Gutenburg.com out after I posted this originally. The site that comes up now is not the same website I downloaded my books from two years ago. This new website is not bad but I don't think it is the one ran by the Gutenburg Society. I am too pooped to research it right now but I will try to get current information up here tomorrow unless someone else does it before I do.
GL2

Last edited by Gunluvver2; 01-07-2011 at 10:36 PM..

Old 01-08-2011, 01:05 AM

6,025 posts, read 13,946,556 times
this whole thing just annoys me. Twain must be rolling in his grave. I'm curious as to who was offended by this since all of the blacks I asked also disagreed w/ censoring it, basically paraphrasing what citizenkane said above. if it was censored for the precious children of this generation, then, IMHO, we've done them a huge disservice altering such a classic piece of literature and not allowing them to discuss the language used in the book in an educational setting.

here's hoping this new, censored edition completely flops
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or