Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 04:38 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times

Advertisements

"I Love You Forever" by Robert Munsch and to a lesser extent: "The Four Agreements" by Don Miguel Ruiz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 06:02 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Two books that are not the Bible come to mind. Of course the "Holy Bible" would be Number One for a lot of people.

Living on the Ragged Edge by Charles Swindoll

Street Lawyer by John Grisham

Old 08-11-2007, 03:17 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,264,452 times
Gotta go with The Five People You Meet In Heaven - to think we may have an impact on someone else's life with our actions even though neither of us is aware of it - wow. I pondered on that one a long time. Of course, not being too bright, I pondered the Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon for a while, too...

Old 08-12-2007, 11:12 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times
"The Secret"(the material emphasis was, I thought, just the carrot dangling to get ones attention to the Laws of Attraction)--"The Infinite Way" by Joel Goldsmith--when I was a child,it was "To kill a Mockingbird"

Old 08-12-2007, 10:07 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
Default controversial but insightful book

"Who Are We: The Challenges to America's National Identity" by Samuel P. Huntington. Professor Huntington's previous book "Clash of Civilizations" bascially predicted Sept 11 and the war on terrorism.

Not that its going to change the way I live my life per se, but I'm in the process of reading an AMAZING, very insightful and well-researched book. This really does change the way I see my little cousin and her friends and how out of touch they are with the world I know and I'm only 6 years older than her. The book is about American identity, assimilation and loyalties or immigrants etc etc.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:11 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
So much of what Huntington writes in this book is true for my parents, my aunt and my youngest cousin, especially about transnational or divided loyalties. See my primary identity is American. My aunt's always puts her Chinese heritage first and my mom considers herself a world citizen/internationalist. I am very Americanized and listen to country music and only watch American movies and follow American sports while my little cousin listens to mostly Asian music and hangs out exclusively with Asian friends. She's also very liberal and sympathizes Cindy Sheehan the crazy leftist nutjob and with the Dixie Chicks, a bunch of treasonous b____ who hate this country and are probably glad our soldiers are dying in Iraq. And she supports the sniveling liberal B___ Hillary Clinton who supports illegal immigration.

So it really pains me to say this but what Dr. Huntington says about assimilation, immigration, and identity is not entirely false because I know from personal experience. A lot of Asian and Hispanic Americans these days are too concerned about connecting with the old country instead of just being American like myself and my older cousins. Also my older two cousins spent most of their lives in Idaho and my youngest one spent a lot of time on the East Coast which is very liberal and ethnic.

I wish my little cousin and my mom would read that book. Racial tolerance and assimilation/patriotism are different things. We cannot judge people differently because of skin color, but its important that all of us put our American identity before any ethnic identity and before universalism or internationalism. For example, my cousin, aunt, and mom disagree with me but I always support an America-first foreign policy and things like missile defense, increased CIA and military power, the Patriot Act and a hardline against enemy countries like Iran and North Korea.

Professor Huntington's books should be required reading for high schools and colleges across the country, instead of liberal propaganda by people like Howard Zinn, whose books read like they were published in Beijing or Havana.

Old 08-15-2007, 04:53 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,767,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Carolina Native View Post
Two books that are not the Bible come to mind. Of course the "Holy Bible" would be Number One for a lot of people.
Yep, but for me it was Thomas Paine's Age of Reason which helped me realize that the Bible is a pack of lies written by man. I felt so liberated after.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:42 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,458,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Yep, but for me it was Thomas Paine's Age of Reason which helped me realize that the Bible is a pack of lies written by man. I felt so liberated after.

As you may have already heard, you certainly won't go broke or be unpopular telling folks what they want to hear.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:49 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,458,946 times
Gabriel Garcia Marquez, "One Hundred Years of Solitude" (Nature, village, family, imagination)

Samuel L. Clemens, "The Autobiography of Mark Twain" (Twain was entirely self-made by his wits. Many funny stories in this book, such as how he courted the young woman whom he would later marry as she nursed him through a faked head injury after he fell off a carriage in front of her home. Tragically, over his long lifetime he witnessed the deaths of many members of his family, including his wife and three of his four children.)

Nicolas Darvas, "How I Made $2,000,000 in the Stock Market" (A true, legitimate story)

R.G. Collingwood, "The Idea of Nature" (Little book by Oxford U. professor that presents a sparkling exposition of the history of Western ideas about nature and science)

Richard Rhodes, "The Making of the Atomic Bomb" (Very informative history, with a devastating epilogue that examines the morality of the existence of nuclear weapons in the context of 20th century "total war")

Morris Kline, "Mathematics: The Loss of Certainty" (How ideas about the foundations of mathematics as practised today became split into three or four camps before 1950.)

Last edited by ParkTwain; 08-15-2007 at 09:53 PM..

Old 08-16-2007, 06:40 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,100,917 times
The Language of God by Frances Collins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books