Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 07:58 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,201,636 times

Advertisements

Barbara Bush narrated her own book, "Spoken From The Heart", and did a fantastic job. It was much more meaningful to hear her story from her own mouth than it would have been from someone else.

Bill O'Reilly also narrated his own book, "A Bold, Fresh Piece of Humanity" and, again, hearing his story from his own mouth was much better than hearing someone else tell it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 10:53 PM

42 posts, read 113,414 times
I been reading this post, and so far it's sounds like audio books are just as good as reading the book. Thank you for this post, a new poject idea has now made it's place in my future.

www.faithfolau.webs.com

Old 01-30-2011, 11:53 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,320,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Barbara Bush narrated her own book, "Spoken From The Heart", and did a fantastic job. It was much more meaningful to hear her story from her own mouth than it would have been from someone else.

Bill O'Reilly also narrated his own book, "A Bold, Fresh Piece of Humanity" and, again, hearing his story from his own mouth was much better than hearing someone else tell it.
I did say 'generally' and not always. If you've ever gone to a live poetry reading, for instance, you'll know it's sometimes very hard to concentrate on the work itself and not let the attitude or lack of reading skill of the poet overshadow it with a monotone, or a voice that's just plain jarring for whatever reason. Then there are those like James Earl Jones, I could listen to him read a phone book quite happily. But for most fiction, the choice of reader of a book is nearly as important as the book itself. A bad reader can ruin a good story, and a very good reader can make a story that's mediocre to okay into an excellent one.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:31 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,800,934 times
I have to say, too, karibear, that I get very annoyed when a man reads a book with a female narrator or vise versa. I was listening to one book with a male narrator, and a female was doing the reading. It drove me bananas throughout the book. That's a big issue for me personally.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:13 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
I listen to a lot of audio books and one conclusion I have arrived at is that very few authors are good narrators--- even if they are reading their own book. One exception to that rule is Janet Evanovich when she reads one of her Stephanie Plum stories. I love the S. Plum books and I am always on the hold list at the library for her next one. Last summer one of the paper back books I was waiting for was on the shelf at the library on CD AUDIO. I figured why wait for the book? I'll check this out and listen to it. I spent the next three or four nights in bed with Janet Evanovich listening to her read the story. One of the best experiences I have ever had lying down.

GL2

Old 02-08-2011, 07:26 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,121,110 times
I have learned to love audiobooks since I've become blind. The narrator can kill an otherwise lovely book or they can bring to life a dull book.

Here are some audiobooks that I've loved :

Sarah's Key

Those Who Save

The entire series of The Saxon Chronicles

The Medieval female medical examiner series by Ariana Franklin

I know that there are many others but I can't think of them right now, since it is 0430 in the morning!

Old 02-08-2011, 11:13 AM

[quote=melaniej65;17776377]I have learned to love audiobooks since I've become blind. The narrator can kill an otherwise lovely book or they can bring to life a dull book. ..."******************************************
Melanie I am sorry to hear that you are now blind. I do have a question for you though. Are you aware of the program that is administered through the Library Of Congress to make audio materials available for blind and other qualified individuals? Here in Nebraska it is administered by our Nebraska State Library Commission and uses the name "Nebraska Talking Books and Braille Services".

I do volunteer work as a narrator for them. Over the years I have read several novels but the time commitment is so large I have just done periodicals this past year. I wish I could say I was a fantastic narrator but I know better LOL. We do have some of the volunteer narrators that are really talented and I love listening to them read.

If you are not familiar with this program let me know and I will find out who you need to contact in Hawaii to get signed up. I believe all 50 States have this program and it is free for those that qualify. If anyone needs more information about this program just let me know and I will see what I can do.

GL2

Old 02-08-2011, 12:22 PM

[quote=Gunluvver2;17779944]
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
I have learned to love audiobooks since I've become blind. The narrator can kill an otherwise lovely book or they can bring to life a dull book. ..."******************************************
Melanie I am sorry to hear that you are now blind. I do have a question for you though. Are you aware of the program that is administered through the Library Of Congress to make audio materials available for blind and other qualified individuals? Here in Nebraska it is administered by our Nebraska State Library Commission and uses the name "Nebraska Talking Books and Braille Services".

I do volunteer work as a narrator for them. Over the years I have read several novels but the time commitment is so large I have just done periodicals this past year. I wish I could say I was a fantastic narrator but I know better LOL. We do have some of the volunteer narrators that are really talented and I love listening to them read.

If you are not familiar with this program let me know and I will find out who you need to contact in Hawaii to get signed up. I believe all 50 States have this program and it is free for those that qualify. If anyone needs more information about this program just let me know and I will see what I can do.

GL2
Thank you for you kind consideration, but I have been signed up with the NLB. I really enjoy the capability to instantly download as many books as I'd like with the new digital book system. It was a bit of a pain with the cassettes, and I love my privately owed talking book machine (much smaller than the digital machine issued by the NLB). I ca take it everywhere and even download books from my account with Audible.

Melanie

Old 02-08-2011, 01:35 PM

[quote=melaniej65;17781198]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post

Thank you for you kind consideration, but I have been signed up with the NLB. I really enjoy the capability to instantly download as many books as I'd like with the new digital book system. It was a bit of a pain with the cassettes, and I love my privately owed talking book machine (much smaller than the digital machine issued by the NLB). I ca take it everywhere and even download books from my account with Audible.

Melanie
Melanie
I am not familiar with the NLB system but I am glad you have found a way to enjoy audio books. When I first started doing volunteer work for the program 12 years ago I didn't have a clue about how many people needed the audio materials.

The Library of Congress is currently switching over to a new type of player that will be much smaller than the cassette players but as far as I know they do not have a plan to deliver audio files over the Internet. One of the paid staff that attends annual meetings about new technologies told me that there are concerns that many of their patrons have problems with keyboards etc and the formats that they have to use to satisfy copyright issues make it difficult to adopt new technologies. Plus I am sure that with budget concerns that all government agencies are now facing getting new systems in place would be difficult.

GL2

Old 02-08-2011, 06:26 PM

[quote=Gunluvver2;17782421]
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
Melanie
I am not familiar with the NLB system but I am glad you have found a way to enjoy audio books. When I first started doing volunteer work for the program 12 years ago I didn't have a clue about how many people needed the audio materials.

The Library of Congress is currently switching over to a new type of player that will be much smaller than the cassette players but as far as I know they do not have a plan to deliver audio files over the Internet. One of the paid staff that attends annual meetings about new technologies told me that there are concerns that many of their patrons have problems with keyboards etc and the formats that they have to use to satisfy copyright issues make it difficult to adopt new technologies. Plus I am sure that with budget concerns that all government agencies are now facing getting new systems in place would be difficult.

GL2
I am sorry that I was not more clear; the NLB IS the National Library of Congress; known as The National Library of the Blind and Handicapped. It is the Federal program that every State Library feeds books from.

They have almost finished sending out the brand new digital machines to people. They are much smaller and were actually supposed have been the machine given out in 2006. It took them four extra years! They did send them out to Blinded Veterans first, so I received mine long before many others. Then I purchased a more portable machine.

They way that licensing is handled is that in order to download from the internet Library (Known as BARD - Braille and Audio Reading Download), one must prove that one is part of the National program (Library of Congress), and then the privately owned machine must also be registered through the Library. This ensures that not just anyone has access to the material.

If a client does not have access to the Internet then the National Library for the Blind will continue to send books through the mail (there is now a cartridge that is used instead of cassettes; an it only takes one per book!).

I have had my issued digital machine since March 2010. It is so much nicer than the cassettes, and access is so much easier since I can download a new book in the middle of the night and have instant access to it so there is no more waiting as with the old system. It is truly a marvel!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books