Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 09:23 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times

Advertisements

I have been an avid reader my whole life but I just listened to my first audio book which was the Shawshank Redemption. I didnt think I would like it and I wasnt sure I would be able to focus on it but I did.

I work quietly on a computer all day and I can listen for 5-6 hours a day so I can probably knock out a couple of books a week and maybe more if I listen to shorter books.

I am listening to World War Z right now and it is cool because all the parts are read by different people.

With that said, what audio books do you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 10:50 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,481,994 times
Avoid, and I mean totally avoid, Charles Dickens audio books. Or for that mater any author who's books have lots and lots of characters (many of whom just pop in as window dressing in for a couple of scenes but still get 5 minutes of detailed description.) With audio books, you cannot keep a large cast of characters in mind. I am guessing many old school Russian authors would be the same way.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:13 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,800,934 times
I loved In Cold Blood by Capote. I was driving across country when I heard that one on audio cassette. Also,
Freakonomics
In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan
Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson
The Chinese in America
Sherman Alexie's The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian (it's a young adult book but I laughed out loud so many times!)
Rooftops of Tehran
The Last Lecture
The Council of Dads
The Color Purple
The Kite Runner

Any of Elie Wiesel's books

Gosh, pretty much anything I read, I could listen to. In my experience, philwithbeard has a point. I could listen to Dickens or Tolstoy if I didn't have to use my brain too much (i.e. painting a room, driving on the interstate), but if I'm typing something or cleaning even I'm not focused enough to remember all the players. Some nonfiction is like this also - most of it I listen to while staining wood, painting rooms, or long road trips.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:49 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,320,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I have been an avid reader my whole life but I just listened to my first audio book which was the Shawshank Redemption. I didnt think I would like it and I wasnt sure I would be able to focus on it but I did.

I work quietly on a computer all day and I can listen for 5-6 hours a day so I can probably knock out a couple of books a week and maybe more if I listen to shorter books.

I am listening to World War Z right now and it is cool because all the parts are read by different people.

With that said, what audio books do you recommend?
the number of characters don't matter so much as long as they really are characters and not just a cameo appearance.

One of my favorites is the Amelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Michaels (or Barbara Peters, I've forgotten which pen name she uses for them) read by Barbara Rosenblatt.

A good reader can make all the difference. And in general, avoid anything read by the author.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
And in general, avoid anything read by the author.
I disagree. I enjoy listening to book by the author because I'm able to hear and understand his/her intention, meaning.

OP, I think you'll have to try different things out to see what suits you best.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:31 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,481,994 times
OT question:

The late Donald Westlake, and his Dortmunder series of (very dry) humor novels about a bumbling group of thieves in NYC that no mater what the scheme, at the end of each novel it seems they end up with just enough money, for all their efforts in the plot, to cover gas and maybe their bar tab, and little else.

Has anyone ever seen (heard?) an audio book of a Donald Westlake's novel? I noticed his novels are starting to come out on e-Book readers format since his death, but that is all.

Anyone?

Last edited by philwithbeard; 01-16-2011 at 09:36 AM.. Reason: grammar.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:10 AM

40 posts, read 113,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
I loved In Cold Blood by Capote. I was driving across country when I heard that one on audio cassette. Also,
Freakonomics
In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan
Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson
The Chinese in America
Sherman Alexie's The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian (it's a young adult book but I laughed out loud so many times!)
Rooftops of Tehran
The Last Lecture
The Council of Dads
The Color Purple
The Kite Runner

Any of Elie Wiesel's books

Gosh, pretty much anything I read, I could listen to. In my experience, philwithbeard has a point. I could listen to Dickens or Tolstoy if I didn't have to use my brain too much (i.e. painting a room, driving on the interstate), but if I'm typing something or cleaning even I'm not focused enough to remember all the players. Some nonfiction is like this also - most of it I listen to while staining wood, painting rooms, or long road trips.
Thanks for these recommendations. I recently got into audiobooks. Years ago I tried to listen to them but I couldn't. I listened to The Help by Kathyrn Stockett and I was able to really get into listening to an audiobook. I listened to most of it during a 10 hour road trip. Right now I signed up with audible.com and have been looking around for recommendations.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:26 AM

You're welcome. I hope you can find some books you like.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:15 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,373,551 times
I highly recommend The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein, if you are a dog lover. The audio is unabridged and very well read although I can't tell you the guys name since my copy is out on loan. Runs about 6 hours.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:25 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times
I am listening to the Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher and James Marsters reads and he does a fantastic job. He reads as if he acting the part out and has a good voice for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books