Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 04:51 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,973,278 times

Advertisements

Okay well I dont loan my books at all now I used to until I started getting them returned dirty , food stained , and other things I wont care to mention . Let us face it some people dont take care of your stuff the way you do and to me books are precious and something to be reveered . I dont loan precious possessions .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 07:29 AM

7,241 posts, read 9,228,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I donate mine to Goodwill after my pals have gone through them. I keep more than I donate but last year I donated 400. They were books I would never read again. It sure freed up space for.....you got it....more books.
I donate some of mine too. I got rid of several hundred books last year and I've got several hundred more boxed that I just haven't had time to drop off. Locally there is a Children's Hospital Book Sale that takes place twice a year, so it all goes to a good cause.

For books I bought for some strange reason but didn't like at all, I give them away and tell whoever I give them to that if they don't want to keep it to feel free to pass them along.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:36 AM

40 posts, read 112,891 times
Most of my friends and family don't read much. I have two uncles and two close friends who are avid readers and I have lent them books several times and they do return them in the condition they were in when they were borrowed.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:41 AM

3,943 posts, read 6,353,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I donate mine to Goodwill after my pals have gone through them. I keep more than I donate but last year I donated 400. They were books I would never read again. It sure freed up space for.....you got it....more books.
The only books I keep are my favorites and books that I haven't read. Once I've read them, I love to have someone to give them to. There's no way I could keep all of the books I read. I like to donate mine to nursing homes and to a thrift store here where all proceeds go to the animal shelter. This is where I recommend people donate the ones I've given them if they don't have anyone to give them to.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:43 AM

40 posts, read 112,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I will lend to family as I know they will return as their track record is they always do. To others, I generally just lend the ones I don't want back. My sister passed on "Wicked" to me. She didn't like it, said I could keep it. I read it, didn't like it, so passed on to my sister-in-law and told her she could keep it. She liked it but gave it back. Gave it to my cousin and told her she could keep it. She still has it. Whew!

Here's something to make ya'll cringe. My sister knows of someone who actually throws away books after she reads them and she buys them new hardcover. Horrible, horrible!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post

My heart just stopped. This killed me dead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
That's horrible. I usually by used or yard sales or thrift stores and I have my trusty library card which I feel guilty about not buying new sometimes, but I would never throw away a perfectly good book.
That is pretty crazy that someone would throw a book away and then buy new one. It would make a lot of people cringe.

The only books I have ever gotten rid of are books I had as a kid use the Goosebumps series or the Mrs. Piggle Wiggle books. I gave the Goosebumps books to a former co-worker's son and my nephew as Mrs. Piggle Wiggle books.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:53 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,333,885 times
I love to give away the books I've finished too when I know I won't read them again. I used to save them all but found I was never re-reading, so I now like to pass them on.

It truly is sad that the books get thrown out. So many good places to donate books where they would be appreciated. I can hardly stand to throw away books that are ruined beyond repair even. I just don't think that the person who throws them away really cares that she does that based on what I've heard.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:56 PM

69 posts, read 109,942 times
The only person I lend my books too is my cousin Mallyree. And that's only because she's just as stingy about her books as I am. We mostly just swap. But as for my friends, I know for a fact they would never return them, so when they ask me I just kindly point them to the nearest library. Isn't that what it's for?

Old 01-27-2011, 04:58 PM

29 posts, read 110,133 times
I haven't in years, because the last time I did they never came back to bring it back to me.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:09 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,389,780 times
My SIL seems to be under the strange impression that when I loan her a book she does not have to return it.
I have lost more books loaning them out that I just wont do it anymore.
I will add that when I acculate more then I have room for I donate them to the library.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:17 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,178,088 times
My mom had a huge book collection (a habit I have inherited too) and would "loan" books to her sister but finally quit when not a one came back. She "loaned" them to friends. My mom would get a used copy and giver her and if it got passed on all the better.

I personally do hardbacks and have a thing about dustcovers in good condition (bodes well for the book being in good condition too) but will get paperbacks to "loan" since I don't expect to see them again.

Went to the used book store in town which is incredable, especially for a small town, and came home with a sack full today. Then I read the what your reading thread and added a few to the wish list. At some point will have to prune a few but the new bookcase I have started (building my own) will hold a whole lot of them so I should be good for awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books