Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2011, 03:40 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times

Advertisements

I know Mary Roberts Rinehart as a writer of mystery novels. She was quite well-known in the 1900-1970 time frame. One of her novels is credited with the "the butler did it" phrase and she invented the plot device of "if only I had known then."

But in 1914, she went to France and Belgium as a representative of the American Red Cross to assess what supplies were most needed from the USA (we were not in the war yet). I recently found a compilation of 27 of her works on Amazon Kindle - either free or under $2. One of them is her report of her trips, titled "Kings, Queens, and Pawns." She got to the front lines, with a few hundred yards of the German trenchs and reported everything she saw. She also met with the King of Belgium and many generals. Her account of what had happened to Belgium revealed something I had either never known or had forgotten. As a historical document, it is engrossing!

I was also not aware that she had written romantic comedies and romances earlier in her career. This collection contains her earliest work as well as her better known work. I find her depiction of the culture of the times fascinating: the roles of men and woman as the suffragette movement was just beginning; the reluctance to get into the war; the social class divisions; the clothing; everyday life when the electric power went off at midnight in the smaller towns, to conserve it and who would want it on so late anyway?

I hgihly recommend this compilation!

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 06:26 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,328,033 times
She certainly had a plethora of offerings with a wide span of genrés. (Okay, those are my two big words for the week. Glad that is out of the way).

I wonder if anyone has ever written a biography of her life. That would be interesting to read.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:47 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,869,721 times
Now that would be an interesting biography.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:50 PM

She wrote an autobiography, not sure if still available.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:30 AM

Yes, the autobiography is available from amazon. Amazon.com: My story: Mary Roberts Rinehart: Books

Also, there are several of her books available. Looks like a couple are free or just pennies in Kindle mode. Plus, there are a couple of biographies about her available. Inexpensive.

I prefer to actually hold the book and try to smell the ink which might be ether at this point in time.

The Kindle does not interest me but the free electronic books are really a great deal.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:09 PM

I just got her autobiography today and began to read it. Very interesting! I can see where some locations of her novels arise from her life circumstances. I was browsing a bit and saw that Kings, Queens, and Pawns was banned for a while - not sure in which country for why.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I was browsing a bit and saw that Kings, Queens, and Pawns was banned for a while - not sure in which country for why.
All the more reason to read it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books