Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2011, 02:38 PM

2,124 posts, read 6,818,984 times

Advertisements

A guy I know was dating a woman ("Ann") while living with another woman ("Julie"). This went on for almost a year. Julie finally moved out, and he's been seeing Ann but his guilt is killing him. He still talks to Julie occasionally, she texts him every day, she is depressed, she has no family or friends here. He claims to love both of them, and cannot choose between them, although when he met Ann it was because he was dissatisfied with the relationship with Julie. Both women feel he is the one. He knows he needs time to figure things out but he also knows he needs to make a decision. I feel that if he forces himself to make a decision before he's emotionally ready, he will make the wrong choice. I REALLY feel he needs to talk to a professional therapist but he doesn't seem to want to. Is there a book anyone can recommend? A book that would help him determine what he wants/needs? There's tons of books about guilt, is that what I should be looking under?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 04:29 PM

15,595 posts, read 15,650,878 times
I'm not sure that the issue is either a book or alleviating his guilt. This is a monogamous society, so if he was cheating, he should feel guilty. If the women had any sense they'd both dump him. And if he's not interested enough to go looking for a book or therapist himself, even though you're a wonderful concerned friend, I doubt you can help with this.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:39 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Sounds like he's only still with Julie out of guilt. He feels guilty over leaving her when she's depressed and also feels guilty about cheating on her. It's not his job to "take care of her", if she's depressed, that's not something he can "fix" for her so he should not stay with her out of any feelings of responsibility for looking after to her. As for the cheating on Julie, he should feel guilty but staying with her is only going to make things worse. He claims to still love her because again, it eases his guilt. He doesn't need therapy or a self help book, he just needs to grow a backbone and end a relationship which he obviously doesn't want to be in any more.

Last edited by PA2UK; 02-14-2011 at 04:00 AM..

Old 02-14-2011, 03:54 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
He doesn't need a book. He needs a pair.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:01 PM

5,167 posts, read 11,434,314 times
You might want to post about your problem in the "relationship" forum? Just a suggestion.... someone there might have good recommendations.

forum rules, please read them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books