Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 01:41 PM

7,263 posts, read 9,268,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHAdams View Post
I'm not sure what to make of reviews. I go to Amazon, the vast majority of the books are reviewed as somewhere in between three and four stars. I also believe that a lot of people will give a book one star without reading it. They just don't like something about the author or the books message.

The Hour Game by David Baldacci only netted an overall three star rating at Amazon. I thought it was brilliant. A lot of people thought it was too complicated and nuked it for that reason. I thought I got more for my money.
This was in the pre-Amazon days and the reviews of Clancy's book that were not so positive were in a newspaper book review section. I take those reviews a bit more seriously than I would an Amazon review. I take all reviews with a grain of salt - but if they are well-written and well thought out, I am more likely to give weight to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 03:06 PM

2,539 posts, read 3,722,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHAdams View Post
I often wonder what is happening to the life of a best selling author that may affect whether they write a masterpiece. Or a stinker. Are their studies on this? Theories?
If an author is famous enough, you'll find out a lot about him / her on the internet. Often times, the reasons are deeply personal yet they affect their writing significantly.

There's one author that I have faithfully followed since her first published book. She's still writing but her recent books have been hit or miss. The 'old' voice is still there but I could tell something is off (sometimes it's the characterization, sometimes it's the plot, sometimes it's the pacing of the story, etc). Then I found out that this author has been battling some sickness (thyroid or something, can't remember exactly), that's affecting her creativity so badly that she almost quit writing altogether.

Then there's another author whom I also love because her books were my ultimate comfort read: light read, witty, and often laugh out loud funny. Then all of a sudden she changed her style. Her books are now dark, depressing, and heart-wrenching. I found out through a recent interview that this author has lost her husband suddenly in a tragic accident, so I guess her recent books are reflection of her grief.

Then there’s an author who simply switched genre and it’s as if the newer books were written by a different person using the same name. Maybe they were written by a different person since ghost authoring is so common these days. Who knows? I simply stopped reading and stopped caring.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:22 AM

37,768 posts, read 40,902,683 times
I read nonfiction and I absolutely hate it when well known writers (I won't name them) do what I call List Books like The 50 Worst Blah, Blah, Blah, The Top 100 People For Blah, Blah, Blah or they do some complilation of their "greatest hits" (essays, quotes from their other books, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books