Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 02:34 PM

1,050 posts, read 3,526,260 times

Advertisements

It is by William Forstchen. I just finished reading it today and feel I should start putting food and water away right now. It takes place in a small town in the Carolinas the aftermath of an EMP, which shuts down everything. It really delves into how we would behave in such an event. Not for the squeamish
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 11:38 AM

863 posts, read 2,784,910 times
Yes. The only problem I had was the rapidity with which civilization broke down. I just don't think it would happen that fast.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:42 PM

863 posts, read 2,784,910 times
Oh, and it was obvious that this story was heavily influenced by "Alas, Babylon".

Old 06-14-2009, 08:34 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,865,904 times
I reread "Alas Babylon" over the weekend. I have "One Second After" on hold at our library. Strangely enough they have it on CD but not in print. They are ordering it though.

I read Alas Babylon shortly after the Cuban Missile crisis in 1962. It brought back some really scary memories.

GL2

Old 01-07-2011, 08:46 AM

29,470 posts, read 14,643,964 times
I just got done reading it last night.. wow is all I can say. And I think it was pretty dead on with how quickly things fell apart. Society is held together by a pretty fine line and it really doesn't take much to disturb it. I think everyone should read that book and maybe learn a little from it, to me it was a very good book.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:10 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,897,313 times
You might find a lot of others who felt similarly affected by One Second After in the "Self Sufficiency & Preparedness" forum.

I was already a but of a survival planner for years, but yes, that book got me thinking about things I hadn't considered.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:47 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,840,510 times
One Second After is definitely a book to read if you're into surviving an apocalypse of one kind or another. So many things you don't even think about and take for granted. It does owe a lot to Alas, Babylon, I reread that one recently too.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:11 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times
This has been an interesting thread to read; One Second After is one of the books I ordered from Amazon (haven't received my order yet). I'm not a survivalist - would people who aren't suvivalists like it or is it more geared to people who are in that mindset?

Old 01-12-2011, 03:01 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,897,313 times
You don't need to be a survivalist to get something out of the book, and it's not geared toward a "survivalist" reader.

But after reading it and researching online some of the things mentioned in the book that could actually happen, you might become a bit more "survivalist."

You won't necessarily be building a bunker in your back yard, but you'll be thinking more about how much food and medicine you've stored up for emergencies, looking at who your neighbors are and how they react to extreme stress, and thinking about how much you may be dependent on electronic technology.

And you'll want to give your dog a few extra hugs.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:01 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,999,253 times
I read it earlier this month. It wasnt the best written book but certainly got my attention.

An EMP scares the **** out of me. I actually think civilization would break down that fast. We rely heavily on electronics and more importantly, transportation. Even though grocery stores have tons of food, it wouldnt be enough to last more than a few weeks, if that. Without transportation, no one would be able to receive anything.

When people get desperate, they go crazy and will do anything to survive.

An EMP is a very real possibility and something that our government needs to be prepare for.

I dont have the resources right now but my wife is in chiropractic school and once she gets up and running we will make a fairly high income and being able to build a sizable home. I plan on stocking tons of food and medicine. I also want to purchase an old truck that would not be impacted by an EMP so I could still get around.

I have always said since I was a teenager and started reading about these scenarios that I wanted to build a house that would be okay for my family to live in and stay at if **** hit the fan. I want enough sources of entertainment, enough food, enough medicine and persihable items to last several months, if not a year or more. Along with that, weapons to protect what I have. Some people probably think that is crazy but it is a very real threat and those that are not prepared may not last long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books