Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 02:32 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,402,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 02:33 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
It wasn't a mean , y'know.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
It wasn't a mean , y'know.
No, I know, I know.. your sweetness precedes you..

Old 04-22-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
No, I know, I know.. your sweetness precedes you..

Old 04-22-2011, 06:34 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
I am beginning to wonder if it has something to do with the last book I read, "Intensity" by Dean Koontz. It's still with me. It was a much better read by miles than the first 14 chapters of Black Friday.

I started "Yesterday" by Fern Michaels last night and by the second page, I was in. I like her writing style. None of her books have been boring.

I think I will take some tips from some of you and do the 50-60 page method instead of the chapters. I have read some books where half the book is a chapter, or so it seems. I may even go so far as 100 pages. If it doesn't grab me, I will grab it and hurl it in the outgoing box.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:02 PM

43 posts, read 62,492 times
There once was a time that if I started a book and didn't like it, I would slog through to the bitter end, a case of pride perhaps. But I'm wiser now and frankly there are just too many good books out there to suffer through the bad or boring ones. So if it hasn't hooked me by page fifty I'm done.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:34 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altadena View Post
There once was a time that if I started a book and didn't like it, I would slog through to the bitter end, a case of pride perhaps. But I'm wiser now and frankly there are just too many good books out there to suffer through the bad or boring ones. So if it hasn't hooked me by page fifty I'm done.
I might be closer to you in thinking, I honestly think I've only given up on 2-3 books - but now my precious time constraints may limit it. I used to slog through entire horrible books (guess I thought it was heresy or something to not finish them).

Old 04-27-2011, 09:46 AM

52 posts, read 96,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altadena View Post

I'm like you, even until now, except that for me it's not about pride. I can't quite pinpoint what it is that makes me suffer til the end, but I always finish what I started. It's become a habit now.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laplante View Post
I'm like you, even until now, except that for me it's not about pride. I can't quite pinpoint what it is that makes me suffer til the end, but I always finish what I started. It's become a habit now.
My wife is like this, with books, with movies, it kind of drives me crazy. Before I sit down to watch a movie with her I do my own due diligence 'cause I know that with her, it's 'in for a minute, in for the duration'. Story doesn't matter, performances, plot developments, she will see it through to the end. Come to think of it, that might explain why she's stuck it out with me all these years. That never occurred to me! Thanks OP!

Old 04-27-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laplante View Post
I used to be like this. If I bought the book, I read the book, no matter what, dammit!

Perhaps, like me, you're curious as to how it ends so you take a deep breath and keep on keepin' on.

I solved that problem, though. I'm still curious but, if the book is more effort than enjoyment, I just read the last two pages. Even if it doesn't "solve the mystery," it ruins the book completely. At that point, it's easy to just toss aside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books