Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2012, 01:12 AM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of some book categories that tend to have expensive books in them? I'am trying to find some books to sell on ebay but I'd like to focus mainly on the more expensive book categories(at garage and used book sales). The only category I can think of that generally has the more expenisve books are school textbooks. Are there any others besides textbooks that I'am overlooking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 01:20 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Does anyone know of some book categories that tend to have expensive books in them? I'am trying to find some books to sell on ebay but I'd like to focus mainly on the more expensive book categories(at garage and used book sales). The only category I can think of that generally has the more expenisve books are school textbooks. Are there any others besides textbooks that I'am overlooking?
The most obvious category that comes to mind is that usually called "Art" books, i.e. large format books devoted to the works of particular artists or artistic schools or periods. Many books on specific photographers call into the same category.

This overlaps with what are often called "coffee table" books, large-format books with many, many illustrations. They can be on any topic, but what makes them notable is their size and lavish illustrations.

Books in either of these categories cost a mint when purchased new.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:31 AM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times
Thanks I'll look out for those. I'll also keep a lookout for large hardcover format books in general. Large format books may be one thing to watchout for.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:38 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
First editions in general
First edition hardcover books with intact dust jacket

Special editions of "classics" or collections by a single "classic" author (nice covers, etc) Think Charles Dickens, Jane Austen, Mark Twain, Lewis Carroll, Ernest Hemingway, etc. Collectors like to see a whole matching collection of an author's works. If they can't afford the really pricy first editions, they may go for the less expensive, yet still sometimes pricy, special collections that look good on a shelf.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:01 PM

995 posts, read 1,115,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
First editions in general
First edition hardcover books with intact dust jacket

Special editions of "classics" or collections by a single "classic" author (nice covers, etc) Think Charles Dickens, Jane Austen, Mark Twain, Lewis Carroll, Ernest Hemingway, etc. Collectors like to see a whole matching collection of an author's works. If they can't afford the really pricy first editions, they may go for the less expensive, yet still sometimes pricy, special collections that look good on a shelf.
Make sure it's the first printing of the first edition.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:42 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
A few years ago, my wife and I had a very successful family history (genealogy) book store. Some on C-D would probably know the name of the business if I were to mention it. We dealt in older family and local history and also reprinted out-of-print and out-of-copyright older genealogies. We did quite well before it seemed like everyone jumped on the genealogy reprint bandwagon. We shipped all over the world. Some of our books were quite expensive (over $300).

Unfortunately a family illness caused us to have to quit the book business but I still have a lot of very old genealogies, and local histories, that I am sure some folks would love to have. One of these days, I guess I need to put them on eBay or CL.

Books are easy to package and ship due to their distinctive shapes. The post office also has a reduced rate for media mail.

I have always would thought scientific books could be good sellers. As a former professional biologist, I have several older volumes on birds and mammals worth nearly a thousand dollars. The main question of course for any retailer is a good source for supplies. There are a lot of folks anymore haunting the book shelves of garage and estate sales.

At any rate, best of luck in your business endeavors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books