U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2011, 04:27 PM

220 posts, read 237,682 times

Advertisements

I'm torn over whether I should get a Kindle or not and could appreciate the input! This might have been hashed and re-hashed before but I could use the fresh insight.

My husband has been using his Kindle a lot lately and the idea of it has intrigued me. My dad has even entered the electronic gadget age and bought one recently as well. I've played around with my husband's Kindle and it is surprisingly easy to read and I love the idea of having multiple books in the palm of your hand. However, I'm not quite sold on it yet. I love having a book in my hand and am not sure if I'd like reading from a Kindle for extended periods of time.

So here are some of my concerns, some of which might be kind of silly:

-I'm afraid I'll have a hard time getting into the book because the screen is so small and it seems like you're constantly clicking to get to the next screen. Does that disrupt the flow of the book?
-Can you share books? If my husband downloads a book but I'd also like to read it do I have to read it from his Kindle or can I get it on my own Kindle?
-Is it easy to find inexpensive books with good formatting? I know you can get lots of free classics on the Kindle but I've heard that many of them are formatted incorrectly or there are issues with punctuation (the horror! ) I think getting classics for free would save me considerable money.

I'm sure I'll have more questions after reading your posts. Even if I do get a Kindle, however, I will still read physical books because I don't think I could ever give that up. However, the Kindle will supplement the physical books because our library is way too big as it is and I don't know how much more our bookshelves can take!

Thanks so much for your help!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 04:05 AM

9,671 posts, read 15,182,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midge1021 View Post
-I'm afraid I'll have a hard time getting into the book because the screen is so small and it seems like you're constantly clicking to get to the next screen. Does that disrupt the flow of the book?
I wouldn't say the screen is that small but it does display only one page at a time whereas with a paper book, you get two pages at a time. Keep in mind that clicking a button is much quicker and easier than turning a paper page so I personally don't find it disrupts the flow of the book - but if you're really worried about it, maybe you should look into the Kindle DX, which has a larger screen. Amazon.com: Kindle DX Wireless Reading Device, Free 3G, 3G Works Globally, Graphite, 9.7" Display with New E Ink Pearl Technology: Kindle Store

Quote:
-Can you share books? If my husband downloads a book but I'd also like to read it do I have to read it from his Kindle or can I get it on my own Kindle?
If both Kindles are registered to the same Amazon account, yes.

There is a lending system available where a book can be loaned to another account but it's limited to 14 days and only one loan per book. More importantly, most major publishers have opted out of the lending system and therefore it's not available on most books.

But it IS possible to de-register and re-register between two accounts. So you could have your Kindles registered to separate accounts and occasionally, if you want to share, you can de-register it from your account and register it to his. Any books downloaded to the actual Kindle device will remain on it even after you've de-registered again from the account (though if the book is deleted, you won't be able to access it again from the archives without re-registering to that account). There's no limit on how many times you can de-register and re-register to different accounts but it's probably a hassle if you're going to do it very often.

Quote:
-Is it easy to find inexpensive books with good formatting? I know you can get lots of free classics on the Kindle but I've heard that many of them are formatted incorrectly or there are issues with punctuation (the horror! ) I think getting classics for free would save me considerable money.
I have yet to find a Kindle book, even a free one, with major formatting problems. The only one which had some minor problems was actually from a major publisher and not free. All the popular free classics will be properly formatted - more obscure titles may have poor formatting but like I said, so far, I haven't come across any yet. The only free ebooks with major formatting problems I've encountered have been from Internet Archive: Digital Library of Free Books, Movies, Music & Wayback Machine - even books from Project Gutenberg - free ebooks online download for iPad, Kindle, Nook, Android, iPhone, iPod Touch, Sony Reader are fairly reliable. As for inexpensive indie books, I've only tried a few but they've all been fine.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:21 AM

12,316 posts, read 11,147,177 times
I don't anticipate using e-books. At all. So obviously I'm going to give you a very unobjective opinion. I love the feel of books. I like the way I choose to mark books. I like the covers of books, especially older ones. I like to see them on my shelf. I like the act of turning a literal page. I like the smell of antique books.

I also like the social aspect of books, which didn't occur to my until I read about it. I was waiting in line the other day and struck up a conversation with someone who was reading a book I loved, as I could see from the cover. And I suppose no one will have the same kind of pleasure having a book handed down from your parents.

One thing that no one is discussing, is that no techonology lasts forever. My books will last more or less forever (depending, of course, on how I treat them). What happens when the e-book technology changes in 5-10 years? Are you going to start from scratch the way people did when they had to switch from videos to DVDs, from vinyl records to CDs?

Old 05-06-2011, 11:17 AM

5,763 posts, read 10,179,880 times
I am big on picking up new technology but this is one I cannot embrace. I love being able to go to the library or used book stores and picking out books I may not have known about otherwise and do so for for free or cheap. I like being able to lend my books to friends or borrow them. I like being able to display good books in my home as it usually is a good conversation piece when you host people. You lose all that and more when you use e-books. I just do not see any positives to doing it.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:18 PM

43,856 posts, read 46,492,544 times
I think everyone has their own preference. My daughter is an avid reader, 21 years old, and loves the KINDLE. You can adjust the print size and the light/dark contrasts. She has had less migraines since she went to the KINDLE. Then there are people who just love holding the books....such as myself.

You can check out this link for current KINDLE freebies: (and also previous months)
//www.city-data.com/forum/deals...books-may.html

I find that there are lots of positive things about the KINDLE including the free books, free text books and free share libraries. You may want to look at what is available to help you make a well informed decision.

Last edited by GloryB; 05-06-2011 at 12:36 PM..

Old 05-06-2011, 12:45 PM

9,671 posts, read 15,182,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
One thing that no one is discussing, is that no techonology lasts forever. My books will last more or less forever (depending, of course, on how I treat them). What happens when the e-book technology changes in 5-10 years? Are you going to start from scratch the way people did when they had to switch from videos to DVDs, from vinyl records to CDs?
Just like any file type, an ebook can be converted as the technology changes. And trust me, plenty of people are discussing it.

Quote:
I am big on picking up new technology but this is one I cannot embrace. I love being able to go to the library or used book stores and picking out books I may not have known about otherwise and do so for for free or cheap. I like being able to lend my books to friends or borrow them. I like being able to display good books in my home as it usually is a good conversation piece when you host people. You lose all that and more when you use e-books.
There is no rule that says once you buy an ereader, you can never enjoy paper books ever again. Most people who own an ereader still read paper books too, still frequent libraries or used book stores, still display books on bookshelves, etc. You don't have to lose anything, you can enjoy the best of both worlds.

Quote:
I just do not see any positives to doing it.
Well, maybe there's no positives for you personally but there are for many people. Some of the most popular positives that people enjoy include:
- The ability to set your own text size - a huge benefit for people who need large print
- It's great for travel, you can carry multiple books in one thin, lightweight device
- Space saver... as much as you may love displaying your books, not everyone has the space for the amount of books they read
- Instant access to books from the comfort of your couch
- It's lighter and easier to hold, reducing or preventing hand strain
- Many/most ebooks are cheaper than their paper versions and there are tons of limited time free promos available too
- Free classics (out of copyright titles)

Old 05-06-2011, 01:20 PM

449 posts, read 453,205 times
Definitely get a Kindle (or any other E-reader) if you are an avid reader. I mean, why not? It doesn't have to REPLACE reading book-books. I love the touch and feel of turning book pages, as well as others have mentioned, but there is something to be said for the portability of carrying around a Kindle vs. a 700 page tome of a book. I also still check out books from the library, and still purchase books I love for my personal, at home, bookshelves. A Kindle is just another option!

The Kindle is extremely awesome for stealing a few minutes of reading. Just turn it on and away you go. As far as being able to mark books, I also prefer the Kindle for that. You can highlight passages and type your own notes. Then when you are looking for a particular note that you made, ALL the notes that you made throughout the book are at the ready, vs. having to search through a book to see where you inked it up.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:25 PM

3,774 posts, read 10,370,172 times
The biggest reason for my having a Kindle is that my oldest bought it for me. I probably wouldn't have considered it, but for that.

But, for convenience, weight (I travel - a LOT), for maintaining and re-reading a book without having to go through 6 bookcases and 14 boxes of books, for instant gratification (geetting a book in a minute without having to drive to Barnes and Noble), it's great.

But, I can't purchase a "used" book at Amazon for the Kindle. They are all priced as new, if they are still copyrighted.

Pro's, con's. I still use it and enjoy it. And I can read at a meal and not have to hold the book or put the leading edge of the page under a plate and hope it doesn't close.

I use one and it is more than convenient.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:00 AM

394 posts, read 1,396,406 times
I received the Kindle DX for Christmas, and I'm very happy with it. It will never completely take the place of paper books for me, but it sure cuts down on storage space, and when your library is as massive as mine is, that really helps! I still keep some non-fiction and special books in paper form, but the Kindle is very convenient for almost everything. I wanted the DX version for two reasons, I like the larger page format and don't have to hit "next page" as often, and because I'm a homebody and don't have to carry it away from home often, so the larger size doesn't bother me.

I haven't had any real issues with formatting, but I read the Amazon customer book reviews before I buy anything to see if anyone has had problems with the formatting of a specific version.

Two things that really need to be addressed in future versions of the Kindle:

1) Being able to change the order of the books within the Collections. I read a lot of series, and it would be a lot nicer if I could list them in order of publication rather than just by title or author, so I know which book to read next.

2) Keeping the items listed in a specific order on the Main Page, rather than having them switch around all the time depending on which Collection or book you had open last.

As to Kindle covers, I've bought two. One is a sturdy case with a pocket on the outside to hold the charger cord and book light that I bought. I'll use that if I have to travel with my Kindle, but I also bought the M-Edge Touring Kindle DX Sleeveforeveryday use, and I love it. It keeps the Kindle safe from harm, and you can adjust the 2-way zipper to leave a small opening that allows you to charge the Kindle with the case on. It also has a retractable carry handle. I chose to go with a sleeve instead of one of the attached covers, because the Kindle DX is a little bit heavier than the smaller Kindle, and I didn't want the additional weight of the cover to deal with while I'm reading.

Love my Kindle!

Old 05-08-2011, 01:52 PM

12,316 posts, read 11,147,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I am big on picking up new technology but this is one I cannot embrace. I love being able to go to the library or used book stores and picking out books I may not have known about otherwise and do so for for free or cheap. I like being able to lend my books to friends or borrow them. I like being able to display good books in my home as it usually is a good conversation piece when you host people. You lose all that and more when you use e-books. I just do not see any positives to doing it.
RJRobb beings up an excellent point. In a library there is likely to be much more of a browsing elements, leaving more to the happy discovery. I get the feeling that with e-books, it will be more of choosing books in advance, being less open to accidentally branching out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books