Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2007, 04:50 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,667,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterbeans4 View Post
and my favorite book of all time is "The Stand" by Stephen King.
You know, I love that book too. I lot. I've read lots of things that are more "literary" but Stephen King is a fine writer. He won the National Book Award. Some people who thought he wasn't "literary" enough objected.

Bunch of snobs, if you ask me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2007, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublet View Post
Currently reading: Brave New World, Aldous Huxley...and it's blowing my mind! A furistic utopian novel written in 1932 that is at the same time horrifying AND uncomfortably familiar. I'm caught up in this story! Anybody read any of his stuff?

One day I WILL read: Atlas Shrugged, Ayn Rand

Great thread, Isabella!

First up, Aldous Huxley. I read a lot of his stuff. His best, in my opinion, is "Eyeless in Gaza."

Second, Ayn Rand. I was really into her at one point, but not anymore. I read "Atlas Shrugged." A few times. What I think now is that there's lots better books to spend your time reading.

Old 02-16-2007, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
We're all forgetting to mention one of the best books ever: The Catcher in the Rye, JD Salinger!!!!!!! Don't ask why, but I truly love this book so much I could read it over and over.

Yes, it's excellent. But not my favorite by him. That would be "Franny and Zooey."

Old 02-16-2007, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
.a Regular Guy (my interpretation; no higher accolade in my vocabulary)
I quote myself? Well, kind of. After I typed that, I realized that I had lifted it, verbatim, from my favorite Stephen King novel, "The Dead Zone."

Old 02-19-2007, 11:28 PM

157 posts, read 479,315 times
I'm reading *From Beirut to Jerusalem* (winner, National Book Award) by Thomas L. Friedman. It may seem like a boring topic but the author makes it very interesting and accessible for people who are not exactly up to snuff on the Middle East. I'm having a tough time putting it down.

Old 02-20-2007, 04:26 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
I prefer fiction, but for some reason have been reading a lot of nonfiction.
Last month I read "Here There and Everywhere," a memoir written by the Beatles recording engineer, Geoff Emerick, and it was fascinating--actually offered a bunch of new information I hadn't known.

Just finished "The Places In Between," by Rory Stewart.
Nonfiction. This young guy walks across Afghanistan. Quite an adventure, to say the least. Oh, and he has a mastiff, too.

Just began "Mayflower," by Nathaniel Philbrick. It is a historical retelling of the voyage and settlement of the Pilgrims. It delves into their relationship with the Native Americans there, as well as the many delays before their voyage even took place. I knew a lot of the Pilgrims died once they arrived, but to learn actual names and personalities makes it so much personal.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgirl View Post
I'm reading *From Beirut to Jerusalem* (winner, National Book Award) by Thomas L. Friedman. It may seem like a boring topic but the author makes it very interesting and accessible for people who are not exactly up to snuff on the Middle East. I'm having a tough time putting it down.
That book is excellent! Friedman in general is great regarding the Mideast, he's spent a lot of time there. Check out his account of the aftermath of the Sabra/Shatila refugee camp massacre. He won a Pulitzer for that story.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:22 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,088,529 times
I just discovered this thread. Gosh--I missed a lot. Would like to chime in and hope I am not repeating. I searched the thread and didn't see mention of two authors I would recommmend. For those interested in nonfiction and the Mideast/Islam take at look at Irshad Manji's The Trouble with Islam Today. It is totally informative, exceptionally insightful, and truly easy to read because she has a breezy conversational personal style. She has also had death threats! The other is Greg Iles a native of Natchez, MS and much better than say John Grisham, in my opinion. He is fast and weaves a tale with lightning speed. He has several titles including The Quiet Game and Mortal Fear. He is superior to, again in my opinion, but in the genre of Dan Brown. Enjoy!

Last edited by Tama; 02-24-2007 at 07:33 PM..

Old 06-27-2007, 02:02 PM

80 posts, read 277,934 times
Current:
Bleak House (Dickens)
Vol. 1 of A Dance to the Music of Time (Anthony Powell)

Recent:
American Pastoral (Philip Roth)
Gilead (Marilynne Robinson)
Housekeeping (Marilyn Robisnson)
Thw Big Sky and The Way West (A.B. Guthrie)
The Killer ANgels (Michael Shaara)
Ironweed (William Kennedy)
Empire Falls (Richard Russo)

On my List:
Einstein
Vol. 2 of A Dance to the Music of Time
The Rabbit series (John Updike)
The Stone Diaries (Carol Shields)

What do you mean by the other forums? You mean other forum sites, or the other forums on City-Data? I think it's unfair to judge people on other City-Data forums when there are so many.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:03 PM

80 posts, read 277,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
First up, Aldous Huxley. I read a lot of his stuff. His best, in my opinion, is "Eyeless in Gaza."

Second, Ayn Rand. I was really into her at one point, but not anymore. I read "Atlas Shrugged." A few times. What I think now is that there's lots better books to spend your time reading.
Have you read "The Fountainhead"? That's the best of Rand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books