Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-03-2013, 08:01 AM
 
1,833 posts, read 3,348,993 times
Reputation: 1795

Advertisements

Finished The Silent Boy by Lois Lowry yesterday as well as Fetching Raymond by John Grisham, which was just a Novella. I once again really enjoyed Lois Lowry's writing. I started The Woman Upstairs by Claire Messud last night as well but so far have only read chapter 1. I don't really have anything to say as of yet but I plan to keep reading it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-03-2013, 11:49 AM
 
9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Reputation: 14770
I just finished listening to "Asta's Book," by Barbara Vine. This was an on-again, off-again story for me as my interest ebbed and waned. Still, I was not able to leave it indefinitely and by the time I reached the last third I didn't want to turn it off. I think it would be one of those rare stories that would make a good movie. There were layers of stories within stories and the characters flowed into and out in a way that would be very interesting on the screen or stage. I would recommend it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2013, 12:52 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
Reputation: 27092
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
Finished The Silent Boy by Lois Lowry yesterday as well as Fetching Raymond by John Grisham, which was just a Novella. I once again really enjoyed Lois Lowry's writing. I started The Woman Upstairs by Claire Messud last night as well but so far have only read chapter 1. I don't really have anything to say as of yet but I plan to keep reading it.

I have read the womand upstairs just really could not get into it and or finish . I did not finish it , I guess sometimes certain books are just not your cup of tea .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2013, 01:30 PM
 
1,833 posts, read 3,348,993 times
Reputation: 1795
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I have read the womand upstairs just really could not get into it and or finish . I did not finish it , I guess sometimes certain books are just not your cup of tea .
I usually give a book at least 75-80 pages before I ditch it. Thank goodness for that because I've read some slow starters that became books I really enjoyed. So far, this one is not a slow starter so I hope it stays that way for me.

There have been books that have been raved about on CD by multiple people and even the description of the book I find not my cup of tea and extremely boring and uninteresting. Thank goodness we are all different but sometimes I really want to like those books people love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2013, 01:52 PM
 
Location: Oregon
1,035 posts, read 1,708,863 times
Reputation: 773
I am reading "Surviving Home" by A. American. It's about survival after society collapses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2013, 04:40 PM
 
Location: Indiana (USA)
74,112 posts, read 1,835,507 times
Reputation: 3167
Nothing To Lose by Lee Child!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2013, 05:34 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
Reputation: 27092
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I usually give a book at least 75-80 pages before I ditch it. Thank goodness for that because I've read some slow starters that became books I really enjoyed. So far, this one is not a slow starter so I hope it stays that way for me.

There have been books that have been raved about on CD by multiple people and even the description of the book I find not my cup of tea and extremely boring and uninteresting. Thank goodness we are all different but sometimes I really want to like those books people love.
Thank you for saying what I was trying to say . exactly what a boring world it would be if everyone liked the same things .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2013, 07:22 PM
 
1,833 posts, read 3,348,993 times
Reputation: 1795
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Thank you for saying what I was trying to say . exactly what a boring world it would be if everyone liked the same things .
You're welcome! I tell ya, though, I'm not as impressed with The Woman Upstairs as much as I was with the first chapter. I'm still going to keep at it and see how it goes, but if it continues on this path, I'll be returning it and jumping into your choice - Safe Haven (unless another eBook becomes mine in the next day as those loans are shorter than actual books at my library).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2013, 11:51 PM
 
Location: Texas
15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
Reputation: 62766
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottinpdx View Post
I am reading "Surviving Home" by A. American. It's about survival after society collapses.
I liked that book. I read it after the first in the series Going Home. He's great with defining his characters well. The reader really gets to know those folks. I was very partial to "Sarge."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2013, 06:04 AM
 
3,493 posts, read 7,930,200 times
Reputation: 7237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I liked that book. I read it after the first in the series Going Home. He's great with defining his characters well. The reader really gets to know those folks. I was very partial to "Sarge."

Ketabcha - yours was the 10,000th post on this thread! I can't even imagine how many books that we have all discussed here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top