U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2013, 06:04 AM

3,377 posts, read 7,364,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I liked that book. I read it after the first in the series Going Home. He's great with defining his characters well. The reader really gets to know those folks. I was very partial to "Sarge."

Ketabcha - yours was the 10,000th post on this thread! I can't even imagine how many books that we have all discussed here!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 06:08 AM

13,224 posts, read 27,284,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I just finished Sidonia's Thread: The Secrets of a Mother and a Daughter Sewing a New Life in America by Hanna Perlstein Marcus.

This is a free kindle book from Amazon. I took a chance on it and I am certainly glad that I did. It's an exceptional dual biography beginning in Hungary, then to the killing camps of the Holocaust and finally to the US. There is no graphic horror told about the camps. So if you dread that you don't have to worry.

I really enjoyed this book. It is extremely well written and the editing is perfect.

If it is your cup of tea then I recommend it to you.
Downloaded on your review and just finished! Loved it, loved Sidonia, what a woman

Old 09-04-2013, 06:10 AM

I am struggling through a reread, Trinity by Leon Uris. Struggling because it is not available for Kindle and the dam fonts are so small...so used to my Kindle now, a paperback is difficult to read.
The sequel, Redemption is available for Kindle so can not imagine why Trinity isn't

Old 09-04-2013, 06:32 AM

4,244 posts, read 6,777,832 times
'Fire In The Belly: The Life And Times Of David Wojnarowicz'

Huffpo review can be found here. Almost finished with it. Depressing nostalgia for me. I can put that era (East Village in the late 70s/early 80s) on-the-shelf after this book. A good pairing with the book I read before it...Just Kids (the Patti Smith memoir). Guy was a sad case, royally screwed-up childhood...disasterous parents, and who got very lucky in life with avoiding an early death as a street hustler and homeless kid, got some good breaks with freinds at the right times, etc.

Ironic thing is that Wojonarowwicz found, near the end of his life & career, a sort of home-away-from-home in Normal, Illinois, considering how abnormal he and his art was.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:43 AM

14,785 posts, read 22,487,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
You're welcome! I tell ya, though, I'm not as impressed with The Woman Upstairs as much as I was with the first chapter. I'm still going to keep at it and see how it goes, but if it continues on this path, I'll be returning it and jumping into your choice - Safe Haven (unless another eBook becomes mine in the next day as those loans are shorter than actual books at my library).

I think you will like safe haven alot better than this crap you are currently reading . Kudos to you for sticking on it for a little while longer than I did , once I got past the first chapter it was done for me and I returned it .

Old 09-04-2013, 06:45 AM

14,785 posts, read 22,487,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Ketabcha - yours was the 10,000th post on this thread! I can't even imagine how many books that we have all discussed here!
Now this post got me to thinking or wondering rather if some authors saw what we think of their books would they change their style of writing , just a thought that popped into my head after I saw pinetrees post . My dear seems like every other post of yours is thought provoking for me , my hat is off to you . Thank you .

Old 09-04-2013, 08:05 AM

15,937 posts, read 19,279,420 times
Started Sidonia's Thread by Hanna Perlstein but put it down because I just wasn't in the mood. I'm pretty sure I'll revisit it later. Downloaded Trail of the Spellmans by Liza Lutz to the Kindle. Certainly not a deep read, but light and entertaining. It's the 5th in a series about a family of private detectives.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:16 AM

15,895 posts, read 17,158,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I am struggling through a reread, Trinity by Leon Uris. Struggling because it is not available for Kindle and the dam fonts are so small...so used to my Kindle now, a paperback is difficult to read.
The sequel, Redemption is available for Kindle so can not imagine why Trinity isn't
Uris is my all time favorite author. Trinity caught me off guard. I knew it wasn't his usual fare. He wrote a lot of novels about Jewish history. Trinity, of course, is about the "troubles" in Northern Ireland. I loved the book. It's a thick one and did not grab me nearly as much as Exodus, Mila 18, QBVII and Mitla Pass did but Uris always delivered the goods in any and all book that he wrote. Redemption, being a continuation of Trinity, is good, too. Both are heart breaking but very informative.

I know what you mean about the print being too small. I recently ordered a paper book from Amazon and the print just about drove me nuts. I had to quit reading the book because reading it was actually too stressful. The print was tiny. I'm very spoiled because of the Kindle but it is a good kind of spoiled.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Started Sidonia's Thread by Hanna Perlstein but put it down because I just wasn't in the mood. I'm pretty sure I'll revisit it later. Downloaded Trail of the Spellmans by Liza Lutz to the Kindle. Certainly not a deep read, but light and entertaining. It's the 5th in a series about a family of private detectives.
Sometimes that is just what you need.....I down load a book from the Tony Dubonnet series about a bumbling New Orleans lawyer when I need a light read

Old 09-04-2013, 08:19 AM

15,895 posts, read 17,158,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post

I love this thread. I have found so many good books because of it. It's the first thread I check when I get up in the morning. Plus, I really like the folks who post here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books